• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Perfect Blue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exp-1001

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 2:51 pm Reply with quote
i know this sounds like (or is) spam but i'd just like to say how amazing this movie is and to recommend it to any fan of animation.
Morrolan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Perfect Blue was good and bad. Good acting, good characterization, but the animation was hit and miss and the story was hard to follow [not merely the way that it was meant to be but also becuase of some bad direction].
I'd reccomend it to anyone who likes thrillers or movies that really keep you guessing. However, if you are an avid fan of DBZ and and Slayers [ie: you like your anime simple and fun] then I'd say stay away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:15 pm Reply with quote
exp-1001 wrote:

i know this sounds like (or is) spam but i'd just like to say how amazing this movie is and to recommend it to any fan of animation.

Nah, it's not Spam. I loved Perfect Blue, saw the world premiere a few years back, and went back to watch it four more times. I saw every showing of PB back at that festival.

In fact, my first website was primarily a website for Perfect Blue...
Neilworms

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Perfect Blue is great. I think it is another great step forward for anime as a medium. Although it is a little disturbing, and the animation was a tad cheap (the designs were good though) it really is worth a look. The direction is very well done and near the end you will be at least somewhat confused. (Which was done intentially) It is probably one of the first (if not the first) attempt at that type of film through animation.

Satoshi Kon has grown to be one of my favorite anime filmmakers just by seeing two of his works (the other one is the "Magnetic Rose" Segment of Memories, which he pened.) I am really looking forward to is Millenium Actress. Lots of rave reviews surrounding the Montreal premere of that movie. I've also heard some compairsons to "Magnetic Rose".

Perfect Blue also served as one of the inspirations for the american arthouse release Requiem for a Dream, where one scene is supposedly a carbon copy of a scene in Perfect Blue. I guess this makes it similar to Ghost in the Shell which was a heavy influence on The Matrix

I think with more experence Kon will be considered in my book, to be one of the greatest anime filmakers, comparable to Otomo, Oshii, and Miyazaki/Takahata.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Neilworms wrote:

I think with more experence Kon will be considered in my book, to be one of the greatest anime filmakers, comparable to Otomo, Oshii, and Miyazaki/Takahata.

I hold that same opinion. After the life-changing experience that was Perfect Blue, I had immense respect for that director. Millennium Actress (which I saw each of the 3 times it screened at Fantasia) completely cemented that deep respect. Satoshi Kon has incredible skill, that is now undeniable to anyone who has seen MA. Not only skill but versatility. By its style, MA was very similar to PB but in content it was the polar opposite. It is a heart-tugging tale that only Ghibli managed to pull off so well until now. This is why I am so excited about Satoshi Kon: a director who can make movies as intelligent as Mamoru Oshii and as soulful as Miyazaki. Great things are in store for the future!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wufei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
I agree, at first I thought I wasn't going to be able to stomach it since is was a bit disturbing. But in the end( just as disturbing) was pretty good. The art work was a bit sketchy at times, but it suited the mood and tempo of the plot.
corrosion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
i concur, i believe it was a great movie, showed how much depth a animated movie can have, the animation might have been a downer, but then again it was the story that made it a good flick
msi435

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
corrosion wrote:
i concur, i believe it was a great movie, showed how much depth a animated movie can have, the animation might have been a downer, but then again it was the story that made it a good flick

How was the animation a "downer"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Diedrupo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
exp-1001 wrote:

Spam is if you are advertising a website. You're not, you're contributing to the forums by making a thread about a good anime. ;)
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I loved Perfect Blue. It kept you guessing so many times at what was real and what wasn't. The plot twists were awesome, and I had no beef with the animation; In fact I thought it added to the tension. To top it off the characters seemed real to me, and I didn't recall a badly-dubbed VA in the movie.

I thought Paranoia Agent would be the same type of series (and in my opinion, has not been up to this point).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God! That thread was over 3 years old! Now THAT is what I call necroposting. wow
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Oh my God! That thread was over 3 years old! Now THAT is what I call necroposting. wow

I was going to say that, but I didn't want to post a one-liner. I guess that would be considered a one-liner also...

Perfect Blue is a great movie. And even though there is a twist ending(a very good one), it's still great to watch over and over.
DogAngel22

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Perfect Blue is AMAZING. It was the first anime movie I've seen. So great! Good movie. I recommend it to people who like thrillers.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote
Well, since it's out here, I'll just add some random stuff... *even if this is old as hell Razz *

the movie will demolish your ass Shocked *or has, it depends*

It sure has a surprising amount of insight though, which is nice
sts9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I loved Perfect Blue. It's my favorite film of Satoshi Kon, even though I realize it is not as much of a true piece of art. Unlike Tokyo Godfathers or Millenium Actress, PB is sort of a cheap trill - as I say "Is it me, no it's you, or is it us, no it's them after us" - still entertaining, like I said, I loved it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2