• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Previews For Next Episode

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Most anime apply; I think they reveal too much in the previews for the next episode. For example, one time in Yu Yu Hakusho, there was an episode where you didn't know if a character lived or died, and in the preview it gives the answer loud and clear. I've seen this on several anime. I was wondering why they feel the need to expose so much?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kacper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, they sometimes do give away too much... but its not like you need to watch them, unless they put it in before the end credits (.hack//SIGN comes to mind but that one was pretty much spoiler free with all those squares).

I usually watch them once to see if I like it or not.

Zettai Shonen and Mahoraba for example have absolutely wonderful and funny episode previews, that are completely spoiler free as they have nothing to do with the next episode except the title. Wink
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For example, one time in Yu Yu Hakusho, there was an episode where you didn't know if a character lived or died, and in the preview it gives the answer loud and clear.

I hate that so much. expecialy when it happend in yu yu hakusho.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:10 am Reply with quote
I've heard that the Japanese don't care about spoilers. They just don't care if everything is layed out to them before they see it. This may or may not be true, but if so it would explain a lot.

The other side of the equation is that most of those shows are based on a manga which has been out for months or years beforehand, so most people watching the show already knows what will happen in the next episode.

I really don't mind it, if I want to be surprised I just don't want the preview.
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I've heard that the Japanese don't care about spoilers. They just don't care if everything is layed out to them before they see it. This may or may not be true, but if so it would explain a lot.

I don't know if that's true or not, but I can see how it makes sense.

It's one thing to know how something ends. Even then, there is still enjoyment derived from watching events unfold before us. Even if we know how an episode/series/movie ends, we still need to see how things play out.

Since we're talking about previews for the next episode (in general), I noticed that in the Trigun episodes aired on Adult Swim there are scenes where a character looks like he/she is saying something, yet the mouth movement matches the words spoken by Vash the Stampede as he describes the next episode. At first I thought that was spooky; I'm used to that now.
Arcadean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
You know what's even worse? I know this may not actually be about anime but regular TV shows in America sometimes put the preview for the next episode during the commercials while the episode it running. I couldn't believe it one time when they told me someone died in the end of the episode I was watching and the preview showed all the characters grieving.

I skip by ALL previews I can when I am watching something for the first time. When I go through the second time around I always watch them. Many of the Cowboy Bebop previews for the next episodes I thought were great.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I've heard the same thing, Ohoni. It's a cultural preference for us to avoid major spoilers like that, but they don't seem to mind. I almost always watch the previews, since most of the time they're entertaining, and sometimes even informative about the plot of the show--one of the Utena previews shows Utena and Anthy changing rooms, and this move doesn't take place in that episode or the next, in the next episode, it's already done.

Still, for dramatic shows or other times when I don't want to be spoiled, I'll skip the preview for the final episode. . .I did this with Angelic Layer, Scrapped Princess, Chrno Crusade, Utena, Ceres, Evangelion, Pretear, and others, but most of the time, it doesn't matter at all, like with Hellsing.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, that seems interesting it's a cultural preference. Still, I mean I already know whats basically going to happen there are about 90 more episodes where the character is in it, heh. Still, it was just a thought to the people who didn't know, it's very revealing. Still, if they don't mind spoilers, it seems like it takes away the suspense and suprise that puts you on the edge of your seat. With that element gone, most people wouldn't be as attracted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Thumbkin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:14 am Reply with quote
while i sgree with what has been said. Anyone ever see the Bleach previews? Lots of hilarious stuff. and it doesn't give a whole lot away.... since it usually doesn't make sense.

Now ones like Yu Yu Hakusho and Hellsing.... they stink. the later made me actually cringe.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote
My favorite previews for the next episode are in Disgaea. They just totally mock everything anime! I love it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1