• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Southern Cross mecha question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalia555

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I am trying to write reviews of Southern Cross for an anime site. Only problem is so far I haven't gotten to hear the names for the mecha. Since I have been unable to find any Southern Cross websites that list the names of the mechas I was wondering ig the names of the MECHA were changed when this was adapted into the Robotech Masters saga
Iria51

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
You may want to check Palladium Games who published the Robotech RPG books. They should have the names there in the Southern Cross rule books. I used to play a long time ago but I cant remember all of the names. The only ones that I can remember were the Logan, which was the small stumpy looking fighter and the AJACS, which was the transformable helicopter. I can't remember the name of the tank. I hope that helps.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:18 am Reply with quote
The tank was called Veritech Hover Tank a.k.a. Spartas ATAC-01-SCA into the Robotech Southern Cross RPG

Also seen into the serie are the Global Military Police Multi-Purpose Battloid, the Tactical Corps Recon Battloid, the Cosmic Unit Space Battloid and the Civil Defense Corps Heavy Battloid as well as the Civil Defense Corps Light Battloid

'Hope it helps: don't hesitate to ask if you need Robotech Masters mechas names too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the series get cancelled? I think I remember seeing designs for the series which never made it to the series, although they might have just been concept designs.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Randall, you're probably thinking of Robotech II, the Sentinels, which did get cancelled. There was a movie that was made as a setup for the story, but that's as far as it got.

The Southern Cross that animalia is talking about was modified into the second arc of Robotech.

Now, where did my Southern Cross RPG book get off to?
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:21 am Reply with quote
I vaguely recall something in an import artbook/magazine which was not the Sentinels. My goodness, Robotech the Sentinels was really bad from what little I remember of it. There were a few mid 80s mecha series which had designs and variations which never hit the series. Some, like the Layzner MK II actually made it to the opening credits but not the series. Others like the many Gundam MSVs were made into kits but not the series. Yet others are just fun artists doodles which find their way into manga spinoffs and novels. The next time I thumb through all those old magazines, I'll keep my eyes open for Southern Cross info.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
After a month and a half of rewatching the entire series I've come up with a few names. The ATAC-01-SCA Spartas are those tank like vehicles htat Jeanne and friends use . They have a Hover and Gerwolk mode. The goofy ships that transform like the one Marie Angel gets wounded in are called TAS-02-SCF Logan. The newer helicopter fighters that appear mid series are called TASC-02-SCF Auroran. I can't seem to find a name for those lame police mecha that never really do anything but get knocked over.
Upon rewatching the series I've realised that the pacing didn't feel as rushed in the end as I remembered it. I believe that my speculation on more episodes was derived from the fact that the series had a ton of backstory which never made it to the screen. In a recent interview with Hasegawa and Kitazume, they speculate on where the series would have gone if they had more episodes, but I can not find any evidence that more were originally planned.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
After a month and a half of rewatching the entire series I've come up with a few names. The ATAC-01-SCA Spartas are those tank like vehicles htat Jeanne and friends use . They have a Hover and Gerwolk mode. The goofy ships that transform like the one Marie Angel gets wounded in are called TAS-02-SCF Logan. The newer helicopter fighters that appear mid series are called TASC-02-SCF Auroran. I can't seem to find a name for those lame police mecha that never really do anything but get knocked over.
Upon rewatching the series I've realised that the pacing didn't feel as rushed in the end as I remembered it. I believe that my speculation on more episodes was derived from the fact that the series had a ton of backstory which never made it to the screen. In a recent interview with Hasegawa and Kitazume, they speculate on where the series would have gone if they had more episodes, but I can not find any evidence that more were originally planned.

You are right. Southern Cross did get cancelled after only 23 episodes (24 in the U.S. with the creation of the episode Dana's Story) due to (I think) poor ratings. There were some concept designs for the series that didn't make it past the drawing board that were later re-used for the Sentinels but, I'm not sure what. The series was supposed to be Tatsunoko's flagship title after Macross but, just never got anywhere due to poor ratings and probably a bad time slot on TV. It's a shame too. I really enjoyed the series. The storyline was great, the designs were VERY nice as well having a really good soundtrack. I would've liked to see where it had gone, as I remember somewhere reading that it was supposed to be a very epic series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1