• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love-Drama-Romance Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sayuri14150

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Key"][quote="sayuri14150"]
Quote:

And a request, sayuri14150: can you drop the use of colored text? You may think it looks cool, but I'm betting a lot of people just find it annoying. Veteran forumites don't use it.

Sorry about the color's I wont do it and thanks for letting me know that it's annoying. I just like to use lots of color, maybe because I love painting and even though I cant because i use all my money on anime dvds.

My mom always say stop or something but I'm like what am I going to do with them? I dont want to take the money to the garve when I die! Money is for buying things and my mom says yes buy nice dress and stuff I'm liek your there to that I dont like doing that! well alot more blah blah...

I mostly but Import Anime dvdset. I dont care as long as I can watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
On some of the ANN skins, blue text shows up pretty good. On the default ANN skin, all of the different colours can be easily read. The one I use, NERVous System, makes it so you really have to squint if you want to see any colour besides white since the background is pitch black. And I squinted to read the post above because somehow I just knew that sayuri14150 would say, "no." Smile

I usually just ignore posts if they use a colour that I can't read with the skin that I use. Not everyone uses the same skin as I do so there will always be someone to answer a post that's in a different colour. If a different colour is available to use, then it should be used. Something unused is just taking up space.

Back on topic, for some reason I have not seen one romance anime that is very similar to western romance series. Anime always tosses in a couple elements into a story that go against the grain. SaiKano being a case in point. Of course, all anime is like this. Western television is still seeing a drop off in their ratings for new shows - although [AS] is still going strong. I wonder why Wink - and to me it's because they continue to use the same old plot elements. They could learn a thing or two from their friends across the Pacific...but that's probably never going to happen.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
sayuri14150 wrote:
    Hi, I'm looking for some cool awsome anime that have Schoolkid, Romance, Drama, & not to much Comedy!
    Something like Fruits Basket, His and Her Circumstances, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Full Moon Ow Sagashite, Fushigi Yuugi, Princess Nine, Pretear, Inu Yasha, Tokyo Mew Mew, Boys Over Flowers, Wedding Peach & some other like these!
    Does anyone know any other anime like these I haven't seen the last 2 Anime series but well be buying them soon. But if there are any other anime like these can you please let me know? all that I have listed here are from my top favorite list!
    I hate Perverted Anime, somewhat is ok but to much not so cool! I don't like Anime if they have to much of perverted or Eichii scence.

I would have recommended Cardcaptor Sakura, but taking a quick look at your anime list, it seems like you've already seen it. How come you didn't mention it in your post? Even though it is in the magical girl genre, it could also be considered a romance anime, although a little bit unconventional due to the age of the characters.

Key wrote:
sayuri14150 wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, what else. . .Koi Kaze is serious romance/drama, but it's unofficially rated "I" for incest, so viewer beware.

I don't think I would want to watch this I read about it on this site this guy devlopes felling for a girl and find out that that girl is his sister but still has feeling I don't like a series where a sister and brother like each other!

That's a shame, because based what I've seen of Koi Kaze so far (the first 2/3 of it), it's the best-written and best-delivered romantic anime story I've ever seen - yes, even over Saikano. It certainly won't work for everyone, but it does handle the potential incest issues VERY delicately.

And speaking of Saikano, it should definitely be on your to-see list, especially if you like serious, tragic romantic stories. It was my pick for the best-written anime series released in the States in 2004.

Voices of a Distant Star, as previously mentioned, is another superior pick, even if you don't much care for mecha (but if Gundam Seed is on your to-see list, then that probably isn't an issue for you). A very melancholy love story with a superb soundtrack.

I think Voices of a Distant Star is a masterpiece. It is amazing how a 20-30 minute OAV can almost manage to make me cry. This is highly recommended. I'm also looking forward to The Place Promised in Our Early Days by the same director.

I am currently collecting Koi Kaze due to many positive and interesting reviews. It is supposedly a very realistic anime and the incest is not used to joke around like some other anime.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Concerning Koi Kaze:

dormcat wrote:
Furthermore, the basis of its story is very scientific. See its trivia section.

I checked out that trivia, and encourage anyone who gets into the series to check it out, too. It explains quite a bit about why things are happening in the story the way they are. Makes me wonder if the writer was aware of that phenomenon when the series was written.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:00 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I checked out that trivia, and encourage anyone who gets into the series to check it out, too. It explains quite a bit about why things are happening in the story the way they are.

For those who wants further reading, refer to the following article:

Glenn E. Weisfeld, Tiffany Czilli, Krista A. Phillips, James A. Gall and Cary M. Lichtman. Possible olfaction-based mechanisms in human kin recognition and inbreeding avoidance. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, Volume 85, Issue 3 , July 2003, Pages 279-295.

Although I'm a biologist, I knew nothing about this phenomonon before watching Koi Kaze. Rolling Eyes I thank it for providing me a new horizon. Very Happy

Key wrote:
Makes me wonder if the writer was aware of that phenomenon when the series was written.

Me too. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sayuri14150

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:
Quote:
I would have recommended Cardcaptor Sakura, but taking a quick look at your anime list, it seems like you've already seen it. How come you didn't mention it in your post? Even though it is in the magical girl genre, it could also be considered a romance anime, although a little bit unconventional due to the age of the characters.

Hi thanks for reminding me I was wondering there was something I was forgetting! But still it seems there are some tital's.

Even though Batman Beyond isn't anything like Anime though, I liked that series as well and the old one, I mean the before real Batman was young.

Last edited by sayuri14150 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Stylez025

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I wanna say Ichigo but it is a little ecchi but its not bad and flows with the storyline perfectly.

Its one of m all time favs
Animeniac#1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
if someone hasn't already said it, look into D N Angel. that should be exactly what you're looking for. Cool
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I can't understand why no one has mentioned "Kimegura Orange Road" yet. One of the earliest animes that set the standard for Love-Drama-Romance in anime.
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
Nothing can beat G-Gundam in romantic terms. And don't worry: it has nothing to do with Wing bar a small cameo by Wing Gundam in the last few Episodes.

As for Genre...mostly Adventure/Romance. I suppose "Action" or "Martial Arts" if you consider them Genres.

sayuri14150 wrote:
Dub Gundam Seed 50 Eps; 2nd season 32 Eps

Prepare to be disappointed.
sayuri14150

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:
Prepare to be disappointed.

What do you mean by that?
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll be blunt: it blows.

A lot of long-time fans were disappointed by SEED and even some of the most hardcore SEED Fans haven't had Destiny in their good Books for awhile. Though allegedly it's picking up.

Watch the Original Series/Movie Trilogy instead. Or you could watch X but the "Newtype" aspect of the Series might confuse you at first.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:49 am Reply with quote
Super Arrow wrote:
Though allegedly it's picking up.

HA! Now that's comedy. Seriously, Destiny's teased "picking up" like five or six times now only to royally screw up only a couple episodes later and drop deeper into a hole.

Seriously, I love SEED, but I cannot stand Destiny. The way it was set up had so much potential, and yet NONE of that was exploited in the least. Storylines were haphazardly changed midway through development or dropped entirely, resulting in severely inconsistent character & plot development. And because the new characters weren't immediately embraced by fans, Fukuda & Morosawa resorted to ditching them and bringing back the SEED cast as a crutch. So now all the former leads of Destiny are nothing but two-bit side characters, and what was supposed to be the main protagonist is now just a petty thug for the cookie-cutter villain who himself had worlds of potential built up over the first thirty episodes (only to be pissed away a few episodes later, naturally). The show's a complete mess, it's a case study in how NOT to write a series, and it's beyond me how anyone allowed it to get this bad.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I didn't think SEED's romantic angle was any worse than what you see in other Gundam series. To be honest, Gundam's never been totally spot-on with the romance, and has pretty much had as many misses through the UC & AU as it's had hits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote
Well, my Favourite Gundam Couples are...

Garma X Icelina
Ramba X Hamon
Kai X Miharu
Char X Lalah
Amuro X Beltorchika
Kamille X Four
Kamille X Fa
Henken X Emma
Judau X Roux
Char X Nanai
Domon X Rain
Garrod X Tiffa
Loran X Dianna

That's in order of existence, not preference.
IchigoKiri

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'd recommend Maria-sama ga Miteru. Be forewarned though...it is shoujo-ai, but it's pretty mild. It's all pretty realistic...no magic, no people from outer space...and it's dramatic, too. If you're prone to crying at touching scenes, keep the Kleenex box nearby, especially during the Spring season.

All in all, the two seasons are 13 episodes each. They're schoolgirl.

Also, for another anime that's not completely perverted, but does have its occasional moments of 'O.O', try Loveless. It's a shonen-ai series, and they don't have all the episodes fansubbed quite yet, but they're working on it.

Again, these are a couple of my favorites. I don't know if you'll like them or not, since not everyone's into the same stuff I am, but they're pretty good, in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3