• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Musicals?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean Of mArc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know of any Anime Musicals or Rock Operas in existance? I don't mean anime about bands that play music, but you know, shows in which the characters break out into a song about the situation or context?

I was very disappointed by the Parappa The Rapper show, because it didn't even have any songs within the show! (Though the intro is pretty good none-the-less).

Any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I know a few anime that were made into stage musicals....Sailor Moon, Prince of Tennis, Utena....but I don't know of any anime musicals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
astra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
I believe there is a musical for Rose of Versailles. One of the Japanese students at my college, Wellesley, translated it into English and staged the production for her senior project. I listened to some clips of it in Japanese and it sounded fun and schmaltzy Smile
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
anime#2391

INTERSTELLA 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem/daft punk I watched this like two weeks ago and it was very very good. This is a Rock Operas. Not really characters break out into a song. But theres no talking and its all music.
msi435

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:59 am Reply with quote
azzmoneky wrote:
anime#2391

INTERSTELLA 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem/daft punk I watched this like two weeks ago and it was very very good. This is a Rock Operas. Not really characters break out into a song. But theres no talking and its all music.

Not to mention that the music played is daft punk's discovery album! One of the greatest dance/pop albums ever concived! As much as I love daft punk I wasn't too crazy about INTERSTELLA 5555. This is probably the closest thing you will get to a rock opera in anime though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote
According to the Great Google, there's also Jack and the Beanstalk and Little Jumbo, but these are kids' musicals so I guess that's not what you're really after. Seeing that, as far as I understood, the 5555 concept was originally thought up by Daft Punk themselves, it begs the question as to why there aren't very many anime musicals. That seems strange for a nation hooked on karaoke.
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Most of the Macross Series have music playing a big role.

LISTEN TO MY SONG!!!
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I saw Bleach becoming a play... or maybe it was me misinterpreting a live action movie...
Dilandau

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:54 am Reply with quote
As disturbing as it is, I might classify Puni-puni Poemy as a musical. Random bursting into really weird songs... Its probably not what you are looking for though.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Not really a rock-opera, but there's a bunch of good J-Rock in the series BECK. It's all about a bands rise to the top.
astra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
It does seem strange that there are no anime musicals despite the love of kareoke. The closest example I can think of is that alot of anime, especially the harem type, seem to have soundtracks that feature the voice actors and voice actresses singing songs that are releveant to their characters or the live musical spinoffs. The lack of characters bursting into song is a big distinction between American animation and Japanese anime and I never even noticed it before. In some ways, this might be a good thing, but its sad that we can't even find one real example.
I'd love to see a Japanese Rocky Horror like anime musical Very Happy
msi435

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:41 am Reply with quote
Ya, musicals are a American and European concept derived from opera. It's kind of surprising that it hasn’t really bled over to Asia. Confused

edit --- grammer grammer grammer....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:10 am Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Ya, musicals are a American and European concept derived from opera. It's kind of surprising that it hasn’t really bled over to Asia.

From what I hear, musicals are actually very popular in India, and gross quite well. But as far as I can tell, you're right about the rest of Asia.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Ya, musicals are a American and European concept derived from opera.

Not to be a nitpicker, but... that ought to be "derived from operetta".

msi435 wrote:
It's kind of surprising that it hasn’t really bled over to Asia. Confused

I see somebody already mentioned India, so I won't go all Bollywood-maniac on you....

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1