• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica English-Dubbed Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilly_938

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Ah, to each their own. I'm usually one to re-watch a show dubbed once it gets released, but I'm going to skip that on this one and just enjoy it in all its glory in BD (with subs Very Happy). I would cancel my pre-orders but the Japanese BDs don't have subs... Anime cry
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
The youtube comment has some truth to it. Sure, it may be unfair to apply to someone who genuinely can understand some Japanese beyond canned anime phrases, but surely among anime fandom there are some fans who that comment applies to one hundred percent.

It definitely applies to me. The emotions in Japanese acting are pretty much the only things I can understand and I have no way of knowing if they are actually being performed well or not. I just know that they're there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:37 am Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Now am I wrong in thinking that they weren't miscast? Cause from what I'm reading it kinda sounds like you're trying to say I am.

I am saying that you're wrong. But that's for another thread.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
It's just too hard to uningrain what one's used to admittedly, so I know I'm biased, but at least the Japanese voices all sounded unique.

Sorry but I keep going back to this comment and getting a little hung up on that last sentence. I keep thinking about it, but I'm not really sure how the English voices in the dub trailer don't sound unique, if that was indeed what you were implying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:
Now am I wrong in thinking that they weren't miscast? Cause from what I'm reading it kinda sounds like you're trying to say I am.

Wow.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:

Wow.

yeah...my thoughts exactly CG Lover.

This thread is a mess Rolling Eyes
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:16 am Reply with quote
lilly_938 wrote:
Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Ah, to each their own. I'm usually one to re-watch a show dubbed once it gets released, but I'm going to skip that on this one and just enjoy it in all its glory in BD (with subs Very Happy). I would cancel my pre-orders but the Japanese BDs don't have subs... Anime cry

What's the hurt in even trying to bother with the dub, may I ask? I mean, you're getting the U.S. release for an expensive price anyway (though still cheaper than the Japanese BDs), so you might as well give a bit of a longer listen to what your money is supporting. You realize that we don't even have a full 90 seconds of a dub trailer to go by, right? A trailer whose conversation topics are rather quite mundane compared to most of the rest of the series' content? Considering that this dub is being done in 2011 instead of a time most dubs were struggling to find their footing, that it's being produced by the American branch of Aniplex, that it's being recorded at BangZoom! Entertainment, that it's being directed by of fairly respectable pedigree (as he's headed the dubbing of the newer 5cm Per Second dub & the Haruhi dub, both of which I've enjoyed).... surely a dub deserves a greater benefit of the doubt than a contextless 80-second look, right?

I'm fine with getting upset with Aniplex for releasing a trailer that so strongly embraces Japan's original marketing for the title. I feel as veers does in that regard; surely fan's shouldn't have to keep explaining away the marketing until kingdom come, and surely Aniplex has some guys that are smart and capable enough to edit together a trailer that gets more at the show's actual feel. And I don't feel all the performances are flawless either; not only did a moment or two of the acting not really jive with me, but I have also come to link the original seiyuu fairly strongly to the characters themselves (though certainly not as much as veers has). But at the end of the day, it's just a trailer that culls a few dubbed quotes from the show's first episodes; maybe it could've been "better" in quote-selection and performance selection, but that can be so darn subjective. No need to dismiss the dub outright, even if said reaction is the accepted reaction, the norm, in some circles.

Surely my little disclaimer at the start of this topic, the one about the ridiculousness of coming to a hard judgement of a full dub by a trolli-ish 80-second trailer meant something, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:18 am Reply with quote
Madoka's voice actress is a Filipino migrated to America.Though I'm more of a Cristina Vee fan!

Laughing
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:23 am Reply with quote
I can't speak for all the dub-haters out there, but I myself don't like dubs (or just don't give a damn about them anyways) is because they are not original. I just want to watch a show as it was produced.

Contrary to popular belief, it has nothing to do with Weaboos or Japanese being superior to English. Similarly, I wouldn't want to watch an American cartoon dubbed in Japanese or a Korean TV Drama dubbed in Chinese.

Also, does anyone feel that English dubs of Anime tend to sound very unnatural? I mean, it's pretty obvious when compared to other American cartoons. The 'unnaturalness' is just not there. Is it because the English voice actors deliberately try to match the original character's voices?
lilly_938

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Considering that this dub is being done in 2011 instead of a time most dubs were struggling to find their footing, that it's being produced by the American branch of Aniplex, that it's being recorded at BangZoom! Entertainment, that it's being directed by of fairly respectable pedigree (as he's headed the dubbing of the newer 5cm Per Second dub & the Haruhi dub, both of which I've enjoyed)And I don't feel all the performances are flawless either; not only did a moment or two of the acting not really jive with me, but I have also come to link the original seiyuu fairly strongly to the characters themselves (though certainly not as much as veers has).
Exactly. You'd think Aniplex would spare no expense to get experienced VAs that know what to do, considering it's arguably one of their most sought after titles (judging by the reaction to its license, and the fact that they are taking the risk of releasing it in *3* different ways: how many titles have had that treatment?) Maybe my expectations were too high? Maybe I just attached the original voices to the characters too much...
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:26 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Is it because the English voice actors deliberately try to match the original character's voices?

I think to get any proper idea of how each voice director, each actor, and each scriptwriter approach doing any dub you best hear from the horse's mouth. And when I say from "the horse's mouth", I mean hear what people who are involved in certain dubs had to say about how they approached it. From interviews, con panel questions, etc. and if you see enough of those, you may get some collective responses from people involved in dubs. If it helps any, I could show you certain links (probably through pm though) of certain people that do dubs and how each of them processed doing a dub for whatever show they did.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:00 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

Also, does anyone feel that English dubs of Anime tend to sound very unnatural? I mean, it's pretty obvious when compared to other American cartoons. The 'unnaturalness' is just not there. Is it because the English voice actors deliberately try to match the original character's voices?

Maybe the Japanese anime characters tend to act/react differently to what American characters are used to.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote
Awww! I'm sad that they didn't pick Michelle Ruff to be Homura. But oh well. I saw the trailer and the voices they DID pick are actually very good! I can't wait to see the whole dub! Very Happy
redranger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
It seems the weaboos are out in heat.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:13 am Reply with quote
Yikes. 5 pages of dub vs sub arguing. Shocked

I am personally not a dub fan and will watch my Anime subbed 95% of the time. I watched this trailer and just wasn't a fan of how most of them sounded in English. They sound so....blah, in my opinion, like their emotions was sucked right out of them. Kyubey was the only one who sounded pretty good.

Well, at least this series is getting released with both dub and sub so there really isn't much to complain about. Both dub and sub lovers should be happy that Aniplex decided to give us dual audio, and Blu-ray, when things like Blue Exorcist are left as sub only and with a DVD only release.

I got all 3 Blu-rays of this series on pre-order and can't wait to own them all. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 14