• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica English-Dubbed Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
SunnyJ wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

SunnyJ wrote:
and Kyubey needs a male voice not a female voice.

why? because kyubei's seiyuu was male in the japanese dub...oh wait that's right, no it wasn't Rolling Eyes

Oh, thing is in a good portion of anime in Japan, even the male voices are done by female VA. Not saying you *don't* have a valid point; however, the Japanese voice is at least portrayed in a way that it is potentially sex-less, much-less female, considering he is typically considered a "male" character.

Male voices are voiced by females in America too Sunny. Often times when it's a young boy, or the case of kyubei where it's light voice. The female voicing Kyubei in english is putting forth no more of the femininity in her voice than the Japanese seiyuu, and by that I mean I could easily tell both of them are females trying to give their best young boy impressions. Honestly, I'm not sure how someone could seriously think the Japanese seiyuu sounded "manlier." Kyubei isn't really a manly character, heck it's not even a man, or really male for that matter, spoiler[he's like a sentient being that's pretty genderless.]

I get it, opinions are like ass holes and all that, but I guess I just see you being over critical because at the end of the day you like your anime in Japanes no matter what english be damned. That's fine, if not a bit narrow, but such is life.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I know they're trying to spoilers, but they really could have cut a better trailer than that. At least show the action.

This is exactly the same as the original Japanese trailer.

They're trying to hide the GRIMDARK
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
This is typically what happens when the industry comes to think that the generally helium Japanese voices are what every Western market expects. Laughing

AilisKnil wrote:
On the other hand, I'd say the Japanese are terrible live action actors.

Yeah, sure, of course, that's what we always say when we watch live-action of anime or manga. Wink

Last edited by enurtsol on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
The English dub's voices are far from helium or imitating Japanese people. Mami is rather deep, even.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
The English dub's voices are far from helium or imitating Japanese people. Mami is rather deep, even.

T'was a general statement, not specific to any series or character.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
How badly the original trailer misrepresents what the series actually is always bugged me, and this dubbed version is no worse.

Why does it bug you? I thought that subverting audience's expectations in a positive way was, well, a good thing. The uninitiated go into PMMM thinking it is just going to be another Magical Girl series, then they get wowed by how intelligent it and well-written it is, then they get floored by how dark it gets. And then, while watching the last three episodes, they are left comatose by just how epic a song (figuratively-speaking) the series finishes on.

So, like, why are you bugged by the trailer? Is it a moral thing, such as, "How dare this trailer lie to me and make me think the show sucks"?

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
To add to a little of what Chagen said, simply being able to closely watch stuff that goes on the screen can help push a dub-viewing over a sub-viewing. Sometimes we just want to be more passive listeners than constant readers. And when there can be quite a bit of awesome animation and visual artistry going on on the screen with anime like Madoka, simply a so-called-average dub would make it a good enough watch. This is probably why I don't have a particular preference or idea in my head about how Mawaru Penguindrum gets dubbed, should someone license it and decide to dub it in the first place-- however merely "passable" or "average" by today's standards it may be, I'd sit through it anyway, whether to just better catch what Penguins 1-3 are up to or look out for all the visual metaphors and symbolism and what not.

Asrialys wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:
That's how it pretty much was in the first long official trailer released for Madoka Magica. As I noted above, with the exception of the Kyouko clip and audio sample, it's essentially an English dubbed trailer/translation of that aforementioned TROLLING Japanese trailer, using the same kinds of dialogue and happy mood and such.

ed. note: The above was bolded and underlined for those that might be more misunderstanding where the trailer's coming from in its mood, tonality; the increased emphasizing was meant more for the poster below you, Megiddo.

Maybe you should make the text super large. lol

Didn't think of it.... but even if I did, I wouldn't know how to-- I really don't know how to change the text size on this forum, since I really don't see a specific button for it.

And speaking of that dub trailer, I actually went back to the one that I said that this was based off of-- and while it definitely was based off an originally Japanese trailer in both spirit and scene and dialogue usage, that original trailer is actually about 20 seconds longer, roughly-- adding both some more footage, some more set-up of context, and more lines for the characters. This new trailer also mixed some of the placement of the audio and video around, which is kind of interesting.

I do wish that there was a little bit more meat to the new trailer, and less of loud rapid-fire-succession of character introduction that would make Mami jealous.... but then again, maybe they didn't want to provide more potential excuses than they already have for stoking nerd-anger, heh. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised that a dub trailer was realeased at all, since that could make the consumer swing one way or another in regards to a purchase decision. So really, even if it isn't that memorable of a trailer or that "true" to the actual core of the show, I'm happy about having the opportunity to hear jsut even seconds of the voice actors playing the roles they were assigned to.

And if you don't feel so satisfied in what you here in the trailer, you could search for demo-recordings and such that demonstrate the VAs' acting range, so you can try to feel more reassured about the casting decisions. I believe it was through looking at recordings/videos when I first learned of Cabanos playing Madoka that I recognized that she's at the absolute least a decent actress, so the tiny bits that might've sounded slightly "off" to me, like her good-morning yell (though looking at the original japanese trailer, the tone and drawl of voice seems *very* similar to the original yell) didn't bother me much at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The Japanese cast aren't always better, but they usually are. Take Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion or Death Note; both series f*cked up their respective main characters by massively miscasting them. And those are considered to be good English dubs. I've heard some true shockers - the English dubs of Clannad: After Story and Crest of the Stars spring to mind - but even the 'good' dubs are often below the level of quality of the original cast.

OOOOOhhhhhhh.....now THAT statement is veerrry subjective. And yet you state it as though it is absolute fact? I mean I'll say right now that the main characters from those two shows you say got f*cked up in the dub are two of the greatest dub performances I have ever heard. And I'm a huge fan of both of the English VAs who lent their talents to those characters. Now am I wrong in thinking that they weren't miscast? Cause from what I'm reading it kinda sounds like you're trying to say I am. But in the end this is a matter of opinion, and in matters of opinion no one viewpoint can be declared the right answer. We all have our own preferences, and that's fine.

I also subscribe to what is often considered a widely accepted theory regarding how much one might enjoy an English dub that I've believed in for a while now. And it is basically that whichever version of the show you enjoyed more (be it the English or Japanese dub) may in fact simply depend on which version you watched first. Cause honestly, once you've seen a whole show in one language, you can't help but permanently associate those voices to the characters. And no matter how hard you may try, it is quite difficult to adapt to an entirely different voice representing the character you spent all that time getting to know in another language. This happens to the point that, no matter how talented the other actor may be, they will never quite sound right to you (this has happened to me on more than one occasion). So really, what point is there in making all of these comparisons when you already know deep down that what you are searching for in the new dub cannot be achieved (that being a voice that sounds pretty much exactly like the one you've already gotten used to)? Point being, it's gonna be different, and it most likely isn't gonna sound right to you regardless.

Now about Madoka, I am impressed with this dub so far (and as many have pointed out, "so far" really only means a couple of minutes of dialogue. Can you really judge Kyubey's voice based on ONE LINE?). I didn't feel as though any of the performances were weak and I am really looking forward to what is in store. And do you know what one of the biggest reasons is for why I am so pleased with this dub? It is that I did NOT see it subbed in Japanese. This will be the first time I watch this show, and these will be the voices I become accustomed to just as others have already become accustomed to the original Japanese performances.

Last edited by CG-LOVER on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
Basically I'm with Razzuel...

I'm not convinced by this trailer... but at the same time I'm not hasty enough to judge the dub of a show like this by such a trailer.

None of the voices really sounded terrible or offending or anything. None of the lines in this trailer really showcase the actors' real ability to get into the characters. I think this clip serves well enough to display what I'd consider a dub good enough to show to someone who isn't enough of an anime fan to care about "seeing it in the original form" or whatever.

Me, I'll probably stick to the Japanese dub when my preorders come in, though; it's not a question of "better" or "worse," it's simply that after watching the show over half a dozen times, the Japanese voices are the characters to me. It's another case of what I heard first being what "sticks," and it's not because the Japanese language or actors are somehow superior by default or anything.

CG-LOVER wrote:
I also have my own theory[...]which version you watched first
Your own theory? >_> I thought this was pretty much widely accepted fact.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Why does it bug you? I thought that subverting audience's expectations in a positive way was, well, a good thing. The uninitiated go into PMMM thinking it is just going to be another Magical Girl series, then they get wowed by how intelligent it and well-written it is, then they get floored by how dark it gets. And then, while watching the last three episodes, they are left comatose by just how epic a song (figuratively-speaking) the series finishes on.

So, like, why are you bugged by the trailer? Is it a moral thing, such as, "How dare this trailer lie to me and make think the show sucks"?

I'd say it's an issue because some people may not even purchase this series based on what they saw in the trailer. Hell, I'd be one of those people if others hadn't already told me how different the show actually is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:
I also have my own theory[...]which version you watched first
Your own theory? >_> I thought this was pretty much widely accepted fact.

Yeah, probably shouldn't have worded that way. Makes it seem like I came up with the idea or something. But you'd be surprised at how many people disagree with me on this issue.
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Why does it bug you?
I don't know why it bugs him, but it bugs me because I am sure that some people who would honestly enjoy the series for what it is if they actually watched it are going to be actively repulsed by a trailer like this. I think there are plenty of ways to cut a trailer without spoiling anything in the show, except perhaps the true tone of the story (but if you aren't at least clued in to that by the end of the first episode, you aren't paying attention), that could still at least give you a better idea of what kind of artistic work you're in for. The trailer is full of the mundane stuff, which I know is the point, but still.... It's frustrating as a fan to have to explain away, to someone curiously skeptical, what is now essentially the forefront of their marketing, and it's frustrating as someone who's curious about the show (and hasn't seen it) but knows the trailer is a rickroll.

I supposed the counter-argument is that this trailer is so similar to the Japanese trailer but look how well it sold in Japan, but that doesn't fly in America when options are 1) fansubs 2) expensive discs.

Last edited by Veers on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:25 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Quote:
Lemme piggyback on this comment real fast. When you can't understand a language, the only thing your brain can comprehend things like vocal inflection and syntax. Emotions are universal. It's like blindfolding yourself and suddenly being able smell a little better than normal. Brain has to work around the disadvantages.
So Japanese voice actors (seiyuus) only seem like they're better at emoting because that's all you can understand anyway.

This is a wonderful excuse for those who assume that everyone who argues for Japanese dubs doesn't know the actual language. Sounds to me like this guy is saying "you're wrong if you think the Japanese are better voice actors". Too bad it only works on the ignorant.

enurtsol wrote:
AilisKnil wrote:
On the other hand, I'd say the Japanese are terrible live action actors.

Yeah, sure, of course, that's what we always say when we watch live-action of anime or manga. Wink

what
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Quote:
Lemme piggyback on this comment real fast. When you can't understand a language, the only thing your brain can comprehend things like vocal inflection and syntax. Emotions are universal. It's like blindfolding yourself and suddenly being able smell a little better than normal. Brain has to work around the disadvantages.
So Japanese voice actors (seiyuus) only seem like they're better at emoting because that's all you can understand anyway.

This is a wonderful excuse for those who assume that everyone who argues for Japanese dubs doesn't know the actual language. Sounds to me like this guy is saying "you're wrong if you think the Japanese are better voice actors". Too bad it only works on the ignorant.
The youtube comment has some truth to it. Sure, it may be unfair to apply to someone who genuinely can understand some Japanese beyond canned anime phrases, but surely among anime fandom there are some fans who that comment applies to one hundred percent.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
Sounds to me like this guy is saying "you're wrong if you think the Japanese are better voice actors".

Now hold on, when you say "sounds to me like this guy is saying..." is it that you're interpretting what the guy I quoted said as if he said it in a really mean-spirited way? And if so, is that why you thought he was basically saying, "you're wrong if you think..."?

I'm just trying to understand how you took the comment emotionally speaking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14