• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grenadier : The Beautiful Warrior

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Espeon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:09 am Reply with quote
After Seeing this on Fansub a while back I had the hankering to buy the english release, And man was that smart. It's a wonderful series not just for the fanservices which generally fills me collection Razz.. Beautiful animation , clean and clear. The action is nicely paced and the Music works wonderfully with a good beat , if I had some surround sound speaker would be nice. The show is a mix between Trigun ( with the guns and bad guys) and Ninja scroll (cuase only thing I could see in my collection to remind me of ninja sword dudes) .. Being only 13 epis it has a most amazingly famous voice cast. Wendee Lee as Rushuna Tendoh ( Wendee Lee know as a very good voice actor who works in all groups Geneon/Funimation/Bandia and Media Blasters) And alot of other Read Or Die TV voice actors filling the shoes of the lesser characters.. I was very happy with my buy and will be collecting it further on. Also the figurine does stand up but not to well so I left it in the plastic boxing.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:27 am Reply with quote
With all the good thing that I heard about this series, it might be a surpise hit of the year. I can't wait for my copy to come in.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:34 am Reply with quote
What beats me is why they found it necessary to mistranslate the title using the adjective "beautiful" instead of "smiling" - it weakens the vital story element underlined in the original title...

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Hohoemi no Senshi translates to "Smiling Warrior", not "Beautiful Warrior", there's no way to honestly mistranslate that (although I can't imagine it could be in error because as we know US distributors are infallible and Fansubbers are hacks).
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:44 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
What beats me is why they found it necessary to mistranslate the title using the adjective "beautiful" instead of "smiling" - it weakens the vital story element underlined in the original title...

- abunai

Smiling warrior might be more vital to the story but isn't as appeal to the mainstream as beautiful warrior. But forwhatever reason, they think it will help sales of their propertie.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:50 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

Smiling warrior might be more vital to the story but isn't as appeal to the mainstream as beautiful warrior. But forwhatever reason, they think it will help sales of their propertie.

Well, then, why don't they call it "Grenadier - The Warrior With Gravity-Defyingly Huge Gazoombas"?

That would probably sell quite well...

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Espeon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:50 am Reply with quote
Hehe its all good.. boobs are boobs.. nothing suprises me these days.. from watching Eiken to watching Pretty Sammy special and the unuasully well rounded Sasami. Who for some reason changes chest size afew to many times in one show Razz though i guess i pay a little to much attention to the upper half Razz.

Make sure you watch the special making of Grenadier in the extra's to the end has a nice little extra there for the guys Razz
R.G.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:00 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

Well, then, why don't they call it "Grenadier - The Warrior With Gravity-Defyingly Huge Gazoombas"?

- abunai

Too obvious.
ActiveX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Espeon wrote:
Hehe its all good.. boobs are boobs.. nothing suprises me these days.. from watching Eiken to watching Pretty Sammy special and the unuasully well rounded Sasami. Who for some reason changes chest size afew to many times in one show Razz though i guess i pay a little to much attention to the upper half Razz.

Upper half? Trying to come from a respectable point of view, I would rather you stare at the upper half than the bottom half...
Wink
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
abunai wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

- abunai

Too obvious.

That would scare away the protential female buyer.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:21 am Reply with quote
I saw part of the series subbed in my anime club but we stopped when it got liscened. I may have to pick up the DVDs as well.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorites jokes was when the swordsman asked Rushuna to call him Yajiro-Sama, but she decided on Yatch-chan. I was wondering - how does that work out in the dub? Does he still ask to be called "-sama" and she decides on "-chan" - even in English?
Nirvana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

- abunai

lmao
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
R.G. wrote:
abunai wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

- abunai

Too obvious.

That would scare away the protential female buyer.

Yes, and we all know that uncounted numbers of female buyers are standing in line, eager to buy an anime starring a female character whose salient (and I do mean salient) physical characteristic is clearly designed to cater to males who either are in the throes of puberty, or who somehow never managed to get past that point.

In other words, a female with huge gazoombas.

Yes, I can see a pretty long line forming, right there.

- abunai
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I think in Grenadier it's too comic relief to be offensive. I mean come on, she SPEED LOADS with those things!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1