• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ADV; What The?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
What is going on with ADV? a year or two ago I could hear nothing but good news coming from them but now its like they're dying slowly with just bad news and why haven't they announce any new titles?; whats going on? how did this happen to one of my fav companies?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
It's safe to say that they've made some bad decsions lately. They've licensed a lot of series that aren't selling that well, most likely because a lot of them are on the lower quality side of things. Additionally, they couldn't reach out to the audience they've wanted to sell this to because they haven't been able to use "The Anime Network" to the effect that they wanted.

They announced a lot of titles last year, but we still haven't seen solictation dates for several of them. Given their most recent news, it appears that there are time issues and financial issues that they are dealing with. I hope to see some change sooner or later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
It's safe to say that they've made some bad decsions lately. They've licensed a lot of series that aren't selling that well, most likely because a lot of them are on the lower quality side of things. Additionally, they couldn't reach out to the audience they've wanted to sell this to because they haven't been able to use "The Anime Network" to the effect that they wanted.

They announced a lot of titles last year, but we still haven't seen solictation dates for several of them. Given their most recent news, it appears that there are time issues and financial issues that they are dealing with. I hope to see some change sooner or later.

Since you mentioned that, I remember a period last year when they announced a ton load of series; series that I wouldn't even glance at(There where 1 or 2 good ones though) yet buy. I hope later this year they start picking up some good titles like Air, Aquerion and try getting Solty and Black Cat from Gonzo before Funi does. I would really like ADV to get back on track and take things one step at a time.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
I hope later this year they start picking up some good titles like Air, Aquerion and try getting Solty and Black Cat from Gonzo before Funi does.
I highly doubt they'll be getting Black Cat, as much as I'd like to see it. The manga hasen't even been liscenced yet, so they'll need more of a fan base, I think. Plus, it's a really new show, and it's not customary for any company to grab a title so fast. It's a Gonzo title though, so you can't go really go wrong buyng the DVD's.
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Laruto wrote:
I hope later this year they start picking up some good titles like Air, Aquerion and try getting Solty and Black Cat from Gonzo before Funi does.
I highly doubt they'll be getting Black Cat, as much as I'd like to see it. The manga hasen't even been liscenced yet, so they'll need more of a fan base, I think. Plus, it's a really new show, and it's not customary for any company to grab a title so fast. It's a Gonzo title though, so you can't go really go wrong buyng the DVD's.

Didn't Viz announce the Licenses to the manga a month ago or was it for Death note? and how long does it take for a Licenses to go up for grabs?
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:45 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Also, with all of the manga that they licensed, they bit off more than they can chew and it may be quite some time before they can catch backup. In most cases, thoses of us that are reading a series that is way behind (e.g. Aria) are just hoping that they will even finish it at all.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they don't tank before releasing the rest of Elfen Lied and Madlax. Confused
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I saw this post on Sunday and I just wanted to say something about ADV, but I felt that my opinions were way too strong. Well, my opinions are very strong, and what I have to say may be wrong, but I really wanted to vent about this. Thanks in advance for reading. Very Happy

I only own one ADV title, Neon Genesis: Evangelion (both the original DVD release and the Platinums), but I must say that they do not come off as a very impressive company. I had read on these forums a while ago that they licensed too many items and are very backlogged in getting their titles out.

Plus, while this is old (I didn't see The End of Evangelion until this time last year), I did see on this site the news about Newtype Magazine giving a scathing review of the movie and the Manga Entertainment, which owns the movie, CEO wrote back criticizing their review (criticizing a critique. Lovely. Rolling Eyes).

This is just me speculating, only stating what I've read and seen, but it seems that NewType is part of ADV. Am I wrong about this? It looks like the magazine is a wing of ADV since it's on ADV's website. So since ADV didn't license the movie (Although it seems that they had the chance to, but didn't. Perhaps because, as Kazuki-san had said earlier, ADV didn't want to shell out the amount of money that Gainax was asking.), they felt that they, through NewType, should criticize Manga's release of the film. It seems to me that they were criticizing the movie simply because they were jealous that they didn't get the license for it. (I have never actually read the NewType review of Manga Entertainment's The End of Evangelion although I've looked. Is the review anywhere on the web?)

I did also find it rather amusing (and incredibly laughable) to watch NGE Platinum Disc 5's Extra on "The Mythology of Evangelion." Instead of interviewing the true source of the series, Hideaki Anno, ADV used their own English ADR Director, Matt Greenfield, and this Sean McCoy who is an "Evangelion Lecturer". I've never seen a sillier title in my life. Where is his venue to lecture? They don't even say if he's with a university or anything. I don't know who he is (perhaps he works for ADV), but what does being an "Evangelion Lecturer" have to do with being an expert on NGE? That's not a credential, that's just a made-up title. As for the content of their interview on "The Mythology of Evangelion", I couldn't even get through it. Matt Greenfield and this "Evangelion Lecturer" were all over the place in their beliefs.

I also posted on here a while ago under "Who is your favorite domestic publisher?" that I had only watched one ADV release, but that I would check out the previews on the Platinums to see if any would be interesting for me to buy. And, this is a first for me, there were none that looked interesting. Not one of the anime that were previewed in the Platinums, any of the Platinums, looked good. My second least favourite company is Funimation, but even Funimation had Gunslinger Girl on their Fullmetal Alchemist DVD previews and that looks like an awesome anime.

Of course, this is my opinion. I have wanted to see the whole of Noir to see if it was really worth buying (I wasn't a big fan of the series after watching first five episodes) and I saw the preview of it on one of the Platinum discs. After watching the preview, I think I'm glad that I haven't watched the entire series. Watching the preview brought back a lot of unpleasant memories of yelling at how dumb it was that these were assassins and yet the series has hardly any blood.

Sorry to rant on for so long, but I agree with some of the posts on this thread that ADV is heading in the wrong direction.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
pretty much they got a bad case of Buy everything under the sun syndrome.

ADV was defintaly the one leading the charge in last years liscensing and release madness.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
whoops double post and just now noticed.

Last edited by cyrax777 on Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:56 am Reply with quote
I agree, it seems like ADV tries to be too comprehensive in their licensing, and winds up with a slew of crap among their good series. I mean, who wants to buy ten volumes of a craptastic mahou shoujo Sailor Moon-wannabe like Wedding Peach. Sure, they have some of (what I consider) the most significant series around, like EVA, Excel Saga, Noir, Azumanga Daioh, Saiyuki, Chrno Crusade, Full Metal Panic, RahXephon, and others, but again, there's a whole lot that I wouldn't even touch with a ten-foot BT downloading pole. I must say though, that I probably have more bootlegged/downloaded/burned/otherwise illegal copies of ADV shows than any other company's. I'm the cause of their slump Shocked
Laruto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:34 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I agree, it seems like ADV tries to be too comprehensive in their licensing, and winds up with a slew of crap among their good series. I mean, who wants to buy ten volumes of a craptastic mahou shoujo Sailor Moon-wannabe like Wedding Peach. Sure, they have some of (what I consider) the most significant series around, like EVA, Excel Saga, Noir, Azumanga Daioh, Saiyuki, Chrno Crusade, Full Metal Panic, RahXephon, and others, but again, there's a whole lot that I wouldn't even touch with a ten-foot BT downloading pole. I must say though, that I probably have more bootlegged/downloaded/burned/otherwise illegal copies of ADV shows than any other company's. I'm the cause of their slump Shocked

Shame on you; (Commands the whole cast of Azumanga Diaoh to spank you) Twisted Evil

I bet your a dude Sad That didn't feel right Crying or Very sad
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Chiroptera Rex wrote:
This is just me speculating, only stating what I've read and seen, but it seems that NewType is part of ADV. Am I wrong about this?

No, you are actually correct -- Newtype USA has very close ties with their publisher, ADV Films, and even has a rather boring CD which most of time features nothing but ADV preview episodes and ADV trailers, compared to the more interesting Newtype Japan disc.

As to whether the entire staff itself is a part of ADV ... I'm not quite sure, although many of the articles are submitted material from other sources, possibly translated from the Japanese (and other) Newtype publications (for example, Satsuki Igraishi of CLAMP's "Chipmunk Cheeks" editorial).

Chiroptera Rex wrote:
(I have never actually read the NewType review of Manga Entertainment's The End of Evangelion although I've looked. Is the review anywhere on the web?)

Couldn't find one in a search, either.

Chiroptera Rex wrote:
I did also find it rather amusing (and incredibly laughable) to watch NGE Platinum Disc 5's Extra on "The Mythology of Evangelion." Instead of interviewing the true source of the series, Hideaki Anno, ADV used their own English ADR Director, Matt Greenfield, and this Sean McCoy who is an "Evangelion Lecturer". I've never seen a sillier title in my life. Where is his venue to lecture? They don't even say if he's with a university or anything. I don't know who he is (perhaps he works for ADV), but what does being an "Evangelion Lecturer" have to do with being an expert on NGE? That's not a credential, that's just a made-up title. As for the content of their interview on "The Mythology of Evangelion", I couldn't even get through it. Matt Greenfield and this "Evangelion Lecturer" were all over the place in their beliefs.

I was wondering that myself -- where do you go to become an "Evangelion Lecturer"? Do you get top dollar going to conventions and touting your viewpoints on Evangelion? (If so, where do we sign up? Wink )

Chiroptera Rex wrote:
Of course, this is my opinion. I have wanted to see the whole of Noir to see if it was really worth buying (I wasn't a big fan of the series after watching first five episodes) and I saw the preview of it on one of the Platinum discs. After watching the preview, I think I'm glad that I haven't watched the entire series. Watching the preview brought back a lot of unpleasant memories of yelling at how dumb it was that these were assassins and yet the series has hardly any blood.

Don't quite go by that trailer. Razz

I have all of Noir, and found it to be a really interesting mystery thriller. So there is little to no blood involved -- so what? Just because of something so minor, you aren't going to take a chance on the series? (Not only that, but you'd be missing out on some interesting extras, including four very cool ADV Films-commissioned Anime Music Videos to boot. Smile )

Also, what about Madlax? Because there is no blood there, you wouldn't give that one a second thought either?

I'm just confused by why people spilling blood is or isn't something you would judge an entire series on, that's all.

Chiroptera Rex wrote:
Sorry to rant on for so long, but I agree with some of the posts on this thread that ADV is heading in the wrong direction.

They just tried to do too much, too soon. Everyone in the anime industry probably wants the U.S. and Europe anime markets to do a lot better, but so far it hasn't quite caught on completely with the mass market.

The movement still has a long way to go, but with younger generations who used to be (or still are) fans of animation taking over, expect things to start picking up a bit of momentum ... just, not right away.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Chiroptera Rex wrote:
This is just me speculating, only stating what I've read and seen, but it seems that NewType is part of ADV.

A.D. Vision, Inc. is the parent company of ADV Films, ADV Productions, ADV Manga, Newtype USA and The Anime Network, among others.

There is a lot of crossover amongst their staff. For example they have one marketing department for all the companies.

There are however people who work only for one company/division.

And of course, there are contributors to Newtype that don't work for A.D. Vision in any capacity outside of freelance contributions to Newtype.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
What is going on with ADV? a year or two ago I could hear nothing but good news coming from them but now its like they're dying slowly with just bad news and why haven't they announce any new titles?

Like most markets, the anime market goes though stages of rapid growth, and slower growth or even recession.

For several years prior to 2004, the anime market was exploding. Growth in DVD sales alone was around 100% per year.

One of the biggest challenges when you're part of a market like this, is to try and figure out how much longer the rapid growth rate is going to continue.

If you estimate too short, and plan accordingly, you're safe but you'll probably lose market share to more aggressive companies.

If you estimate too long, and invest (and possibly borrow to cover those investments) accordingly, you'll end up getting hurt when the investments don't provide the anticipated returns. You may even need to bite the bullet and shut down some of those investments because maintaining them costs too much money.

In the past couple of years A.D. Vision launched ADV Manga, Newtype USA, The Anime Network, ADV Music, ADV Toys and so on....

Now the market's groth rate has slowed down, and competition is fierce, so not all of ADV's investments are financially viable. It'd be a safe bet to assume that some of them are losing money, and ADV needs to decide which one's it wants to continue supporting and which ones they plan to let go, or severly shrink.

NTUSA and TAN are ADV's two biggest investments, and have the greatest potential (for gorwth, and for loss).

ADV Manga has been severely limited (see the Anime Next Panel report for more on that).

ADV Toys is gone (for now).

ADV Music is gone (for now).

It's important to understand though, ADV isn't the only one cutting back. They're just the most visible. ANN has reported on other cutbacks, and there are other companies that are making secret cutbacks that we know about but can't confirm from a proper enough source to report on.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2