• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Someone explain Real Bout High School

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klampo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
I dunno, I hear some praise for this title, and I purchased it cheaply for like $25. After watching it, I have no idea what the plot was.

Ok this is what I got out of it.

Girl attends academy where they have K fights to settle disputes. Girl finds necklace. Necklace transports girl to another place to fight monsters. Girl loves older student.

Is that it? Do they ever fully explain why she is transported to fight the monsters or anything??? Why is this title praised so much???
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:09 am Reply with quote
I saw the first episode at a friend's house and thought it was bad, though the dubbing didn't help all that much. I later watched the whole thing in Japanese and still didn't like it.

This is not an action series, and is more of a comedy and weakly written drama. There are only two things I like about this series, the seiyuu and the episode that made fun of Iron Chef.

Other than those two aspects, I found the series to have very poor pacing and a story that probably couldn't even be interesting had the series been 26 episodes.

As for the story, it's basically:

A girl who has to fight a bunch of aliens from some other part of the galaxy, who were originally fought by that guy who looks like Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star.

The whole series is Ryoko (the girl) training and interacting with the other characters for some pathetic attempts at comedy while not even getting to the point of the story until the last 2 episodes.

Most of the series doesn't do squat in progressing anything other than the fact that Ryoko gets a crush and uses martial arts training as an excuse to get over the fact that she's not good enough and to try and move on by "getting stronger."

I have absolutely no clue why people would praise this at all, unless they can come up with some very good reasons to counter everything I just mentioned and back it up with stunning foresight and transcendental intellect.

I mean, someone rated the dub Masterpiece, for crying out loud. I don't dislike a lot of anime, but this title is right on the border of being insipid. My condolences for you wasting your money like that Anime cry.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:11 am Reply with quote
I only saw part of the last episode at Otakon last year, but I think I managed to nail down the primary plotline, if not the various complex subplots. Basically, it goes something like this: Panties = good, or at least that's their theory. Beyond that, I'm not sure.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:47 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the annoying fanservice. This series practically lives off of that and its own self-proclaming brand of "comedy." The panty shots are just so blatant, that it became a major distraction for me.

I don't like fanservice shows all that much, aside from the one that I've just started watching, Tenjou Tenge, but at least those girls are very well drawn and have actual fights worth watching incorporated into the show itself, giving the series a little more intrigue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1