• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Battle Royale Remade by Hollywood?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:20 am Reply with quote
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=412808&page=1

Quote:
The controversial Japanese cult classic 'Battle Royale' is set to receive the Hollywood treatment. Director David Fincher ('Se7en,' 'Fight Club') has been tapped by Sony to bring a reworked script to American audiences. "The new script has several thematic differences from the Japanese version," a Sony rep said, "But the main plot and the infamous violence will remain intact." Fincher was unavailable to answer questions. Production is tentatively scheduled to begin in mid 2006.

I'm calling BS on this. Given the trend of "Let's remake Japanese Films because we can't come up with an original idea" mantra, this has to be a hoax.

Besides, even if they managed to get this idea done, their still gonna have to deal with Columbine and 9/11.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:29 am Reply with quote
Remove high school kids, insert college kids.

It could work out as long as they don't use minor and add gimmick like some of the kids are evil, so it's okay.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:17 am Reply with quote
I'm still wondering if there's any chance that the original Battle Royale will ever get an official U.S. release. If the movie does get a Hollywood remake, hopefully the original will have a better chance of being brought over. I haven't seen the original yet, but I will be importing it eventually.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:05 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Remove high school kids, insert college kids.

It could work out as long as they don't use minor and add gimmick like some of the kids are evil, so it's okay.

I have read the novel, have read about the movie, read some of the Manga.
First of all those were spoiler[Jr High kids (8th grade, age 14-15). Also at least one of those kids were pychotic, and many others were desensitised in various ways, almost beyond the point of redemption.]
Also, what made them twisted was the distortion of values these kids reflected and how closely they reflected the RL values of Japan. The good ones were the ones who, either out of naiveite or experince, held onto basic decency.

To do this right as a remake, you would have to look the hypocrisy of America up close and "translate" it. I doubt Hollywood has the will to do this. I hope if they don't, they don't even try.

All the Best,

Nani?
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:38 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=412808&page=1

Quote:
The controversial Japanese cult classic 'Battle Royale' is set to receive the Hollywood treatment. Director David Fincher ('Se7en,' 'Fight Club') has been tapped by Sony to bring a reworked script to American audiences. "The new script has several thematic differences from the Japanese version," a Sony rep said, "But the main plot and the infamous violence will remain intact." Fincher was unavailable to answer questions. Production is tentatively scheduled to begin in mid 2006.

I'm calling BS on this. Given the trend of "Let's remake Japanese Films because we can't come up with an original idea" mantra, this has to be a hoax.

Besides, even if they managed to get this idea done, their still gonna have to deal with Columbine and 9/11.

The person who posted that on the Rotten Tomatoes board said it was a post on another board. I won't believe it until some real news source reports it.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Gods, I hope this is a hoax. Knowing how Hollywood normally does movies like that, it wouldn't come out right. Let's remember, this was a very controversial movie in Japan, and I cannot see how it could be redone in the States (even if it is retooled a bit) without being too muted.

And really, the low production values and nonsensical premise are part of the movie's charm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aokage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
This can't turn out worst than when Marvel licensed Spider-Man to Toei. Nothing was the same about that other than the Spider-Man costume and a web shooter. Besides, both Ju-on:The Grudge and The Ring were well handled all things consider. I would even go the extra mile to say that the U.S. version of The Ring is a lot more creepy. Though Ju-on is just better in Japanese. Give the film a shot...
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:
I'm still wondering if there's any chance that the original Battle Royale will ever get an official U.S. release. If the movie does get a Hollywood remake, hopefully the original will have a better chance of being brought over. I haven't seen the original yet, but I will be importing it eventually.

Here's some info on why it hasn't come over yet and probably won't anytime soon:

http://battleroyalefilm.net/movie/banned.html
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:54 am Reply with quote
Aokage wrote:
This can't turn out worst than when Marvel licensed Spider-Man to Toei. Nothing was the same about that other than the Spider-Man costume and a web shooter. Besides, both Ju-on:The Grudge and The Ring were well handled all things consider. I would even go the extra mile to say that the U.S. version of The Ring is a lot more creepy. Though Ju-on is just better in Japanese. Give the film a shot...

Personally, the American remakes suck. I mean, reference my OP; it seems that they just "ran out of ideas" one day, so they took some cash, bought the rights to these two movies, and instead of releasing them as-is, they just **** it up with their own bad scripting and changes.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:23 am Reply with quote
I'm all for Battle Royale being redone by Hollywood, and if it's David Fincher, all the more better. *is rooting for Tarentino personally* This has been discussed on this forum before, but I think with the right director they can create a pretty good remake. Anyway, if Chile can make a remake, why can't Hollywood? I think it was Chile... it was some south american country.
Aokage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Personally, the American remakes suck. I mean, reference my OP; it seems that they just "ran out of ideas" one day, so they took some cash, bought the rights to these two movies, and instead of releasing them as-is, they just **** it up with their own bad scripting and changes.

Well as far as Ju-On is concerned, you may think it sucks from a lack of a history with the film. Most people who have seen Ju-On, simply assume that Ju-On:The Grudge and Ju-On:The Grudge 2, are the only films in the series. As it turns out, there are four Ju-On movies.

Ju-On
Ju-On 2
Ju-On:The Grudge
Ju-On:The Grudge 2

The last two films are more popular, so most places that do carry the movie, only have those two. The American version of The Grudge, actually encompasses the first three Ju-On movies. From what a friend explained to me (he has seen all four where as I have only seen the last two), Ju-On:The Grudge basically recaps a lot of story that is given in the first two films, and then adds on to that. The U.S. version of the Grudge just blends all three of the first films together. That is how come spoiler[they explain why and how the mother and child die in our version of the Grudge, rather than simply saying that they died at the hands of the father, like in the Japanese version.] So in that regard, the only change that "messed" things up, were the addition of Sarah Michelle Gellar and Sam Raimi's brother, who were not originally characters portrayed in the other versions. The U.S. version of the Grudge is fairly accurate to the way people die and where they die. They even filmed the movie in the same locations and used most of the same actors from the Japanese version. That's more than an extra mile for an American remake of a Japanese film. Now if we were talking Godzilla with Matthew Broderick...now there is a movie that messes up a Japanese story. But Ju-On...and The Ring...not so much.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:42 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'm all for Battle Royale being redone by Hollywood, and if it's David Fincher, all the more better. *is rooting for Tarentino personally* This has been discussed on this forum before, but I think with the right director they can create a pretty good remake. Anyway, if Chile can make a remake, why can't Hollywood? I think it was Chile... it was some south american country.

It was Argentina and I believe it was collage students with paintball guns or something.

Info: http://battleroyalefilm.net/sangrefria/index.html
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Imm really sorry if i offend any one but jeasus freaking christ Columbine was a bad thing and so was 9/11 but get the hell over it, it happend and theres is nothing you can do about, dont let that judge what we can and cannot wathc.

now about the movie i will call bs as well and if it is true then this is one fan who will refuse to see it.

-Curtis
Tivome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote
Sounds just like something right up Hollywood's alley. Just raise the age of the kids, remove the morality tale and insert a tall, handsome, male lead with his sidekick babe, and most importantly, change all those Asians leads to Whites and throw in a few token blacks and hispanics. Oh wait keep the bad guys Asian. Up the popcorn violence and a "great" Hollywood remake is born.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I second Tivome's scathing cynicism. I am really hoping this is a hoax, because you can bet your ass that any Hollywood person who would want to remake this movie would only be interested in the violence and nothing else.

Quote:
"The new script has several thematic differences from the Japanese version," a Sony rep said, "But the main plot and the infamous violence will remain intact."

AKA: Any semblence of dark comedy or social commentary would be thrown out and it would turn into a mindless, blood-soaked action movie. Not that BR is amazingly deep in the first place, but I just don't trust Hollywood and the way that committees about demographics seem to be more important than making a decent film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2