• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Foreigner anime fan going to UK (questions)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone! Next month (from the 3rd of July to the 31st of July) I will be in the United Kingdom, with a host family different from mine. Last year I went to Cardiff and found many good mangas that weren't released in my country yet, and I discovered some animes through Toonami TV Channel (like Outlaw Star and its supreme English dub). It was definately a good thing to get some anime outside of my country, but it would probably have been better if I already had known before arriving there good places where to buy comics, good channels, etc (I can say I was a little lucky last year...).

Now that I know this, and as I am repeating this year (I'm going to Cheltenham, by the way), I want to know a little more about what to get or what can I find (and where). It would be great if some english user can tell me some basic information like which TV channels should I watch, or just even give some links where on I could keep informated and actualized.

I have found this list of bookstores in Cheltenham. If someones is from there, or knows well the city, could he or she tell me more about this stores?

Thanks in advance!!
RS4NT_786

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
lol - you're in luck - I live in England, but I'm not too thrilled about anime on TV here. Before, it was good with programmes like Vision of Escaflowne and Neon Genesis Evangelion but standards have declined over time. If you really want to, you can watch Toonami which currently show One Piece, Pokemon Chronicles, Dragonball (all series), Rave Master (once in a blue moon though... Crying or Very sad ).
I'm sorry but they don't air Outlaw Star anymore which is a shame because I really liked that series. Big O came and went. On Jetix, there is Digimon, Megaman and Shin Chan.
There may be others, but I can't remember them...

The Manga industry in England is pretty good. I find myself more into manga than anime because of that. I don't live in Cheltenham but I know that the branch of Waterstones near me sell some manga. Your best bet is Borders but I couldn't find that on the list... Crying or Very sad

Well, I hope you enjoy your trip to the UK! Very Happy
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes, decent anime on TV is pretty much non-existent in the UK now Sad There isn't a Borders anywhere near Cheltenham, but try Ottakar's bookshop on the Georgian Promenade in the town centre.
logboy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:40 am Reply with quote
if you were in the UK long enough you could only really get good prices on manga if you bought it through amazon.co.uk > shops are too expensive and the choice is very limited. if you have an amazon account at (for example) amazon.com, then you can order from amazon.co.uk and it will recognise your location and details and allow you to ship anywhere... useful.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Sarki, if you want to know what is happening in the world of anime in the UK try these;
http://www.uk-anime.net/index.asp

http://www.animeuknews.net/index.php

And UK's newest magazine that covers all asian cult media. NEO

http://www.neomag.co.uk/

Their forums have some good people there who could point you in the right direction. If you can find a "Forbidden Planet" either in Cheltenham, or London if you care to go there, they seem to have the most available on the shelf. Hope this is useful. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1