• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
return of the [adult swim] weekly ratings thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Now that Saturday is all anime again, I can resume my weekly post. Hooray!

The first week was shown tonight for May 28th, aka the night when Inuyasha, Paranoia Agent, and Scryed all premiered (along with another Champloo). And the top 3 results.....

Trigun - 403,000
Inuyasha - 400,000 (2 AM replay)
Champloo - 400,000

Yup.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:

Trigun - 403,000
Champloo - 400,000

Yup.

What? You mean that Trigun (which doesn't air until around 1-130 AM) got better ratings than the Premiere episode of Paranoia Agent or a new episode of Samurai Champloo?

Trigun is kind of cool, but I don't really consider it worthy of more than one viewing, and Adult Swim recently got done airing all the episodes during the week.
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
Not too suprising, actually, that Paranoia agent didn't get rated to high. And because of its lack of eps, i dont expect the ratings to pick up. I put it in the same category as GITS : SAC and that didn't pick up till later on in its run so i expect the same from Paranoia agent.
mitora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:08 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:

Trigun - 403,000
Champloo - 400,000

Uh-huh...Trigun beat out Samurai Champloo and IY Rolling Eyes...aiya what the heck is that about.I mean sure Trigun was good and all but its so overplayed, although I still adore Wolfwood, and still get a little choked up spoiler[when he dies Anime cry ].

spoiler[ I'll see you in anime heaven Wolfwood-kun! Smile j/k]
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
Probably the Bebop Effect.

Replay a series enough, and the folks will watch it despite being repeated over and over.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
People watch the series, like it, tell their friends about it, their friends watch the repeats, more people watch. It's not like they air series over and over for absolutely no good reason at all.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:24 am Reply with quote
........Yameta! Kin-ni shinai-de.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:57 am Reply with quote
Might just be a scheduling sweet spot. With a time-block like that, people tend to turn it on and leave it one until they are "done" with it, rather than watching specific shows. Perhaps Trigun just hits the tip of the curve at which the most viewers have turned it on, before most of them turn it off and go to bed. Wink

I noticed that the sunday ratings were highest around like 3AM or something.
msi435

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:04 am Reply with quote
I find it no surprise that Trigun got better ratings that Samurai Champloo or Paranoia Agent because Trigun is a lot more popular than both of those series combined. If you look at the encyclopedia, roughly 1,100 people rated Trigun while only about 400 for Samurai Champloo and 200 for Paranoia. Plus when people are just starting out with anime usually one of the first few series they see is Trigun. So Trigun will always have that constantly changing demographic. Also what Onhi said is an other variable in this equation. Personally (having seen all three series) I think Trigun is the best with Champloo coming in at a close second, the fact the Trigun is over played doesn’t discredit it as being a bad series. The sole reason why it is over played is because it is a good series and a lot of people like it, thus why it got better ratings. Did I seem angry? Sorry!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
It's sad that those ratings aren't even half of what Robot Chicken and Family Guy get on Sunday night.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
What I find surprising is that the Inuyasha REPEAT came in second. Sunday's ratings were equally bizarre.
mitora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
What I find surprising is that the Inuyasha REPEAT came in second. Sunday's ratings were equally bizarre.

IY just started a new season on may 28. Wink

Oh and I still love Trigun, I did'nt mean that it was a bad show, I just assumed everyone and their Grandma has seen it at least twice. Smile

samuraiwalt wrote:
It's sad that those ratings aren't even half of what Robot Chicken and Family Guy get on Sunday night.

Its tragic really Crying or Very sad , I cant stand that Sunday night block. Rolling Eyes
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
No, I mean the 2am airing beat the 11pm airing. There's something not right about that. Sunday's ratings were actually really low this week, so I think the long weekend may have something to do with this.

I think we'll have a more accurate representation of the ratings next week.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:02 am Reply with quote
It would be more accurate to add together the ratings from the first and second showings to see which show actaully takes in the most viewers, I usually only watch one of the showings (almost always the later one) . Also, looking at things that way might make for a more fair comparison between the saturday and sunday lineup. In general, people are more likely to stay up late on saturday night than on sunday night, monday being the start of the work week for many people.
emory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
Numbers time.

Highest Rated Adult Swim
Programs Saturday 6/4/05
[Viewers 18-34]

Champloo - 312,000
s-CRY-ed - 285,000
Inuyasha - 278,000

Ouch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5