• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Initial D Movie - "We wrecked a ton of cars."

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:50 am Reply with quote
http://www.kfccinema.com/index.php?archive=1115922231&subaction=list-archive&go=archives (Go to last story on page)

Quote:
Although the actors came through the shoot unscathed, the same could not be said about the cars. Only five out of the 20 used were still in good condition by the end of the shoot. The ones that were worst hit were the Toyota AE-86 cars driven by Takumi Fujiwara (played by Jay Chou). It was quite hard to find AE-86 cars and we were lucky to find so many eventually, said Lau. We spent a lot of money buying them from second-hand dealers.

&*(^%&*($%^$. Hope they were American or Aussie models.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
They should have chosen drivers who know how to properly drive like they do in the Initial D anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kainzero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
i'm pretty sure they knew how to drive, but judging from the entire article, finding good shots of the scenes probably meant they had to scenes over and over again.
not to mention, they drive pretty much bumper-to-bumper in the anime, so if you have to do multiple takes of that... things can get messy. =X
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
http://www.kfccinema.com/index.php?archive=1115922231&subaction=list-archive&go=archives (Go to last story on page)

Quote:
Although the actors came through the shoot unscathed, the same could not be said about the cars. Only five out of the 20 used were still in good condition by the end of the shoot. The ones that were worst hit were the Toyota AE-86 cars driven by Takumi Fujiwara (played by Jay Chou). It was quite hard to find AE-86 cars and we were lucky to find so many eventually, said Lau. We spent a lot of money buying them from second-hand dealers.

&*(^%&*($%^$. Hope they were American or Aussie models.

Jay Chou? As in the pop star, Jay Chou? Or is this a different one?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Yes Taiwanese pop star pretty boy Jay Chou and a bunch of HK cronnies.

The AE-86 cars are basically corollas. There's actually a huge cult folllowing for this car, and I remember it won a Drifting tournament on G4 Techtv, as it beat out other turbo charge car.
neogamer1234

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Meh... I think it'll be like Star Wars... Flashy with bad writing... Still looking forward to it though... Man I can't wait till next year... I might be able to get my own Trueno/Corolla GT-S/AE-86 Trueno...

I think it ranges from 800-4000 dollars...
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
It really depend if Jay Chou can act. All the other HK cronnies are proven actors and combine to star in over 300 movies together. I can't wait to see how that japanaese chick play her part since she did a good job with the Returner.

I'm just afraid it might be another 2 fast 2 furious.
denkigrve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Man I can't wait till next year... I might be able to get my own Trueno/Corolla GT-S/AE-86 Trueno...

Try from 3500-8000 for an AE86 in decent shape. I paid 2100 for mine and it was BEAT (but it did have a levin front end). I've since dropped close to 4-5 grand into restoring it mechnically, as well as doing some performance upgrades, and it's still i]BEAT[/i]. The corolla's you are seeing for 800 are probably SR5's. They are a lower end model. Same chasis. A lot of people use them for 4ag conversions, or they have blown motors. Your best place to start looking is gonna be http://www.club4ag.com here is a link to where I host the images of my car. Levins are where it's at. http://userpages.umbc.edu/~jreid3/AE86/

Quote:
The AE-86 cars are basically corollas. There's actually a huge cult folllowing for this car, and I remember it won a Drifting tournament on G4 Techtv, as it beat out other turbo charge car.

The stuff they show is mostly Forumla D related which is all US drivers. One of them, Tony Angelo, used to be the owner of my corolla. They're getting better, but you should check out http://www.jdmoption.com/ and watch those trailers. D1 is the proffesional Japanese Drifting Circuit. Those are the best of the best when it comes to drifting. Most of them also started on Corollas. There is a cult following because the car is a legend in Japan. It offers light weight, and superior handling. Times have drastically changed for cars too, and to see a 20 year old car competing in proffessional events and winning is incredible. Especially one so underpowered. The car itself is like driving a really big go-kart. It's too much fun. I'd never give mine up. Now to get back on topic...

As for the Initial D movie... it looks terrible. I'm mad they wasted 15 perfectly good corollas for this horrible movie. They couldn't even film it in Japan on the roads that Initial D was based on. The majority of them are identical to the manga series. It's a shame really. There is a trailer online for it. Don't remember the link. They overly CGed the entire thing. So I don't know why they had to waste 15 cars for that... I also remember hearing that there will be 0 Eurobeat tracks in the movie. So that right there ruins part of what made initial D so addictive. Oh well. Better luck next time.

Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:06 am Reply with quote
denkigrve wrote:
Quote:
Man I can't wait till next year... I might be able to get my own Trueno/Corolla GT-S/AE-86 Trueno...

Try from 3500-8000 for an AE86 in decent shape. I paid 2100 for mine and it was BEAT (but it did have a levin front end). I've since dropped close to 4-5 grand into restoring it mechnically, as well as doing some performance upgrades, and it's still i]BEAT[/i]. The corolla's you are seeing for 800 are probably SR5's. They are a lower end model. Same chasis. A lot of people use them for 4ag conversions, or they have blown motors. Your best place to start looking is gonna be http://www.club4ag.com here is a link to where I host the images of my car. Levins are where it's at. http://userpages.umbc.edu/~jreid3/AE86/

*cough cough* Try $500 for my Daily Driver (Grey SR5), and Free + $150 S&H for the Yellow One (GT-S). Yellow one is modded for SCCA SM (Street Modified) class.

Mods for XCross includes:

Sway and Strut Bars
4AGEZ Engine Swap (from an 86 MR2)
280Z Rims w/ Kumho Victoracer V700
Complete Interior Strip
Rollcage built to NHRA specifications
denkigrve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah as I said, SR5 or GTS that needs work... as the cars get more and more attention the prices go up and up. He's out in Cali too where everyone thinks their 20 year old car is made of gold and wants way too much $$. Looking at your cars the yellow one's been lowered too. What susp work did you do? I've got a set of shortened front struts with coils, TRD SS shocks. In the rear TRD SS's and TRD Japan springs. Spring rates are 7f and 5r. DGTrials 4 link, T3 panhard, t3 strut bars. I have a set of longchamps, and a set of konig rewinds. I just started stripping my interior. I pulled al of the plastic out of the hatch. The next part to go will be the back seats. I'm still running the stock blue top. Still pulls strong, but I think the rings are shot. HKS intake and exhaust. I've contimplated doing a motor swap, but I need a garage and some better tools first.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I had the Eibach Lowering Springs but I got the Tanabe SUSTEC - GF210 Springs instead because some of the other SM racers suggested that if i'm gonna be tearing it up, I should go for those springs. And I noticed a VERY major change between the two. I also have Tokico Illuminas Shocks, and I forgot what else I installed (too much time XCrossing and tinkering with the car swaping in/out parts).

As for how I got them, I got the Yellow One when a Family Friend was gonna dispose of it, so I arranged to have it towed to me (4A-G Engine was still good and running, but I traded that for a Crashed MR2 to get it's 4A-GEZ). The Grey one I bought from a Old Couple because their Son bought them the 9th Generation Corolla and didn't need that one. Other than a engine cleaning and degreasing, it was pretty much fine.
tara_threefold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
So where did they film the battle scenes?? I can't believe they didn't use Mt Akagi etc !!
I was also under the impression than they weren't going to use CGI, it was all done in real...what a let down. As for the lack of Eurobeat tracks, they're not using gangster street song are they?
My guy has had his 86 for a while now, he got it for $3000, but has poured $$$, blood, sweat and tears into it...the 4AG is almost perfectly tuned...just awaiting the LSD to hit Australian soil, until then the local mountains await.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:09 am Reply with quote
tara_threefold wrote:
So where did they film the battle scenes?? I can't believe they didn't use Mt Akagi etc !!
I was also under the impression than they weren't going to use CGI, it was all done in real...what a let down. As for the lack of Eurobeat tracks, they're not using gangster street song are they?

They used Haruna I think for most of the scences.

Judging by the shots from a Cantonese Talk Show posted a while back and these filmclips of some of the real-life tracks, i'm guesing they never used Akina....

http://isshixi.cool.ne.jp/d_touge_zissou_douga.html

If you notice in the Akina and Akagi .wmv files, parts of the road have speed humps now.
tara_threefold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the footage!
Haruna??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1