• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
G4 TV's commercial break placements

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
Well, I finally decided to watch ROD the TV on G4 TV (first time actually watching G4 TV after having cable for 2 years). Well, 5 minutes after the start of ROD TV, they stick a commercial break, worth about 4 minutes in length. Doesn't the amount of breaks they do cut out important plot information?

WTF is up with G4 TV and their excessive commercial breaks?
--ROD the TV episode 3--
Start of program: 12:00AM
1st commercial break: 12:05AM
End of 1st break: 12:09AM
2nd commercial break: 12:13AM
End of 2nd break: 12:16AM
3rd commercial break: 12:21AM
End of 3rd break: 12:24AM
End of program: 12:30AM with no credits or next episode preview
The next episode starts immediately after the "Anime Unleashed" thing, or whatever its called.

--ROD the TV episode 4--
Start of program: 12:30AM
1st commercial break: 12:35AM
End of 1st break: 12:38AM
2nd commercial break: 12:43AM
End of 2nd break: 12:46AM
3rd commercial break: 12:51AM
End of 3rd break: 12:53AM
End of program: 01:00AM

The second half hour had shorter commercial breaks for some reason.

Network TV isn't this bad as far as I know, and at least Cartoon Network places commercial breaks where they were originally in Japan. I think this will be the last time I watch G4 after these two episodes of ROD the TV (I own the 1st 3 DVDs anyway)

(Something I didn't notice from watching the 1st DVD [since I watched it in Japanese and subtitles] is that in Ep 4 while they are in class, spoiler[in the dub, they are learning to speak Japanese, where in the original language they are learning to speak English])
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:47 am Reply with quote
The last time I watched Tech TV's anime unleashed was when I first saw epsiodes 9-12 of Last Exile. I had timer-recorded it, and I'm glad that I did. I was also amazed at the amount of commercials in each episode. A week after I saw these episodes, Last Exile was released in a brick so I bought the entire series. Part of the reason that I bought it straight away was so I didn't have to fast-forward through interminable commercial breaks. What a waste of time. I haven't watched Tech TV since.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

(Something I didn't notice from watching the 1st DVD [since I watched it in Japanese and subtitles] is that in Ep 4 while they are in class, spoiler[in the dub, they are learning to speak Japanese, where in the original language they are learning to speak English])

They sort of do the same thing in the dub for GITS:SAC

instead of the bad kansai accent, the characters are aware that the Jameson cyborg owner guy is using a bad southern accent *I think*

it's pretty nifty actually, and you get a clear idea of what the hell it must be like
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:47 am Reply with quote
Chiroptera Rex wrote:
The last time I watched Tech TV's anime unleashed was when I first saw epsiodes 9-12 of Last Exile. I had timer-recorded it, and I'm glad that I did. I was also amazed at the amount of commercials in each episode. A week after I saw these episodes, Last Exile was released in a brick so I bought the entire series. Part of the reason that I bought it straight away was so I didn't have to fast-forward through interminable commercial breaks. What a waste of time. I haven't watched Tech TV since.

Hmm, so, all 7 DVDs are in one brick? How much is it going for? Unless then, the brick you bought was a bootleg, hmmm?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:24 am Reply with quote
What was that thing that PBS channels say before the start of a show. "This show is sponsered by ..." Tech TV and now G4 don't pull in the people like CN or other Tunar networks. They have to earn their money some how, even if they have to show 30 minute ad for a malon baller or a new "Girls Go Wild" about something ad. Even with all the 8-10 minutes of ads for every 30 minutes show, I'm willing to cut them a break.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:34 am Reply with quote
Chiroptera Rex wrote:

Ditto. They're the main reason I couldn't really get into Last Exile.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Chiroptera Rex wrote:

Hmm, so, all 7 DVDs are in one brick? How much is it going for? Unless then, the brick you bought was a bootleg, hmmm?

You know, I really don't know if I'm using the word "brick" correctly. I've seen the word used here, but I'm not really sure of its meaning. I bought Last Exile's seven DVD series with the collector's box from Amazon.com on the day it came out in December. It came with the Alex Hamilton statue and the mouse pad. I don't really know if that would be a brick or not.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
What you bought was the Limited Edition boxset with Volume 1, a mousepad and an Alvie figure.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/ Usually has everything thats ever been released on DVD as well as DVDs that'll be released in a few months. There isn't a boxset with all 7 DVD's that was ever released.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I did indeed buy the entire seven DVD set. It came with the collector's box, mouse pad, and the Alex Hamilton statue as well.

ANN Encyclopedia - Last Exile - Complete DVD Box Set Limited Edition

It seems that the collection has sold out. Amazon.com doesn't have a brand new copy of it to sell anymore. Amazon's link shows a picture of exactly what I purchased.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I didn't know that. Anyway, I try my best not to buy anime from eBay or Amazon simply because of it being dereft of bootlegs.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I did indeed buy the entire seven DVD set. It came with the collector's box, mouse pad, and the Alex Hamilton statue as well.
I bought it too, from RightStuf.com. It was on sale for $120 Very Happy, just mine came with an Alvis figurine instead of Alex. Most places sold out soon after I bought it, so you'd be hard pressed to find one today, or a new one anyway.

As for G4 I rarely ever watch it anymore, usually just for the premiere of a new episode. I'd elaborate but, some of us talked about it here animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14716. As you can see I completely agree with you kusanagi-sama, it's ridiculous Mad! Could you be so kind as to answer the question I had in my last post on that thread (seeing as how you have some of the DVD's Smile)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:05 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Hmm... I didn't know that. Anyway, I try my best not to buy anime from eBay or Amazon simply because of it being dereft of bootlegs.

I sometimes buy from Amazon, but only the new stuff or when I want it right now. Amazon is one of the best if you want to receive a product within a day or two. But they're much more expensive then others so I do not buy much from them anymore.

Dagwood wrote:
Quote:
I bought it too, from RightStuf.com. It was on sale for $120 Very Happy, just mine came with an Alvis figurine instead of Alex. Most places sold out soon after I bought it, so you'd be hard pressed to find one today, or a new one anyway.

As for G4 I rarely ever watch it anymore, usually just for the premiere of a new episode. I'd elaborate but, some of us talked about it here animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14716. As you can see I completely agree with you kusanagi-sama, it's ridiculous Mad! Could you be so kind as to answer the question I had in my last post on that thread (seeing as how you have some of the DVD's Smile)?

LOL, goodness, it has been a while since I watched Last Exile. I received the ALVIS Hamilton figurine with the box set, not the Alex Hamilton. There was no Alex Hamilton, only Alex Rowe. Sorry about that.

Amazon had it for $147 so I spent a bit more, but at the time I didn't care. Actually, I still don't. The series is well worth it.

I just watch DVDs now. No network television at all. I cannot stand to watch, or even fast-forward through, commercials. It's been a while since I used a tape to record something on TV. I usually just read up a bit on an anime, and, if it seems interesting, I start purchasing the DVDs.
Slayer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
see this is why I dont watch G4 tv for anime or for anything in particular. There schedule is very messed up in my opinion and also they show the exact same episode of certain things for like a week Sad its sucks
Dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
LOL, goodness, it has been a while since I watched Last Exile. I received the ALVIS Hamilton figurine with the box set, not the Alex Hamilton. There was no Alex Hamilton, only Alex Rowe. Sorry about that.
Laughing! It's been a while for me too; I can't believe I didn't catch that either Anime smile + sweatdrop.

Quote:
I just watch DVDs now. No network television at all. I cannot stand to watch, or even fast-forward through, commercials. ...
I know what you mean, the mute button on my remote control is my new best friend. I've noticed that when I forget about it and end up watching a commercial, the next time that commercial is on and I have it muted I can hear the commercial in my head. Proof that even if you hate it, advertising works through constant repetitions. Your brain keeps making those same electronic connections over and over again, until it is in a sense subliminal. It’s funny, it reminds me of that GitS:SAC episode ‘Not Equal’ where Batou spoiler[enters that room and the only remaining and living special agent from (I forget which group) looks at him and says, "GET THEM OUT OF MY HEAD"].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:56 am Reply with quote
Dagwood wrote:
Chiroptera Rex wrote:
I just watch DVDs now. No network television at all. I cannot stand to watch, or even fast-forward through, commercials.
I know what you mean, the mute button on my remote control is my new best friend. I've noticed that when I forget about it and end up watching a commercial, the next time that commercial is on and I have it muted I can hear the commercial in my head.

I used to be that way. First I started muting commercials, then I started timer-recording shows so I could fast forward through commercials, and now I don't even watch TV because of the commercials. Buying DVDs can really eat into my wallet, but at least I don't have to worry about stupid commercial jingles running through my head.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2