• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you usually watch Anime alone?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Ok here's another interesting thread...

Do you usually watch an Anime alone?

First, I'll watch it alone, I watch my favorite animes alone too. Second, I'll watch an anime I've seen before with a friend, but not my favorite ones. Then I'll recommend my favorite ones to my frends and tell them to watch it alone (in order not to destroy the mood that the anime is giving).

I watched alone coz most of my frends are a bit noisy when together and so they destroy the atmosphere of the show, specially when the show is on an emotional part. Just imagine, you're watching a drama show, then there's someone making a noise just like in the movie theatre. Well, I wouldn't appreaciate the show if there are some mood killer around. I watch it alone in order to know how good the title really is (for me).

Anyway most of the Anime I've watch with my friends are Shonen/Action/Horror/Comedies types with very little drama (and those types that are definitely good when watched together) I watch Shoujo type alone), it's just that my emotional level is Very LOW when someone is around.

EDITTED: damn typos and added some little spices

Last edited by dgreater1 on Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I know what you mean. I can't watch anime when anyone is in the house!!! It drives me nuts that they can make so much noise. Most of the time I watch it late at night on AS or just when no one is around. And I cant watch any anime with any friends because..I know that they all seem to miss everything and only focus on the points of violance. They are just another case of mindless punks who get off by watching someone get their arms cut off by a big brested school girl.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I like to watch anime alone, because my tastes may be different from others. My brother is too young to watch Adult Swim, my mom thinks everything is scary even if it's just remotely dark. She also thinks I'm a freak, but I am...in a way.My dad doesn't care that much.

I also tend to...react to certain scenes, and I'm better off doing that without anyone else around.Anime hyper Watching anime alone gives me some time to think about whatever I'm watching without having to worry about noise. When I watched the Cowboy Bebop movie, the sound effects were loud but the speech was quiet. So, I had to shut the windows so the neighbors didn't think I was doing indoor target practice or anything.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
If anyone want's to watch anime with me then fine. I really don't care. Most people don't so I watch anime alone 99% of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
If I'm watching a good series, I only watch it alone and prefer it that way.

If I'm watching a bad/mediocre series, I don't care if a friend watches it with me since him being annoying wouldn't make the watching experience worse than it already is.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
You know... it just depends on the series, and the company you have with you. There are times where having somebody watch it with you can elevate the emotional high of a particular scene.

Sure, there may be situations where there are others you wouldn't want to have around, but at the same time, having others around can be beneficial. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I always watch alone, and there are two main reasons for this:

1. No one I know will put up with subtitles. Rolling Eyes No one. I don’t even notice them anymore, but apparently they are a real problem for some people.

2. I don’t want people who aren’t “in the know” about anime to misunderstand it. For example, lets say I was watching something odd, like Excel Saga. I don’t want them to think all anime is that way, nor do I want them to think that since I like anime, I only like wacky stuff like that. To further illustrate my point: my mom has known about my anime fandom for 8 years. Last year, I was watching Midori no Hibi. Now, anyone who’s seen that knows that it isn’t really about fan service, and it’s actually quite a cute, heartwarming series. But, she happened to walk up at the exact moment a bunch of girls in their underwear were talking about “hot guys on the tennis team.” That is probably the ONLY scene in the whole series like that. Of course, she said, “So THIS is the kind of stuff you watch? This is what anime is?” I tried to explain to her that she had just walked up at a bad time, but the damage had already been done. So now whenever I mention anime, I’m certain all she can think about is girls in their underwear talking about boys. I wish I could get her to watch Grave of the Fireflies or something similar. I would even put up with the dub for her sake, but she just won’t do it. “I’m not interested in cartoons,” she says. I’d love to replace her current view with something more accurate. Anime cry
If you watch anime with someone else, you have to be careful what you let them watch, or they’ll definitely get the wrong idea about anime. But if you watch alone, you can laugh and gasp and roll your eyes, and no one looks at you like your nuts. I would just feel self-conscious somehow. I think I would be distracted to the point where I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on the anime; it would be ruined for me.

So, alone it is! Anime smile + sweatdrop
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Of course... it's always about the humiliation/bad timing factor. Smile

Still, I've made strides in getting my mom to watch some stuff, even though it's still like pulling teeth. I was lucky enough to get her to go see Spirited Away with me. Since then, she's liked most of Miyazaki's stuff, and I've been able to carefully pick and choose different things for things for her to try out since then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I watch anime alone 95% of the time, with the exceptions mostly coming when I'm in a theater, at a convention, or showing something off to friends or family - and I'm very selective about the latter. Mostly it's because I dislike distractions and like to have complete freedom to pause or review scenes, but it's also partly because the only close friend I have who's into anime has substantially different viewing tastes than I do.

There are some exceptions, of course. Some titles - Bastard!! immediately springs to mind - are best enjoyed in a crowd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
El Oso

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
It depends on the genre. I like watching drama/suspense type anime alone with no distractions. The mood gets killed quite easily otherwise.

Anime comedies on the other hand I like watching with other people. It always seems funnier with a group. The laughter is contagious.

As for action I really don't care, so long as I can hear the blood splattering and see the limbs flying off Twisted Evil
Neclord516

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I watch Anime alone a lot of the time but there are times when I am at college and me and my one friend watch series together since we both thoroughly enjoy anime and don't ruin the experience for one another since we mostly don't talk unless it is during a fight scene. Since it is during summer right now I watch anime alone and in huge doses such as watchly all of Gantz in 2 days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Like what have been stated, I would likely watch a comedy or action with a group versus a drama.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote
I pretty much watch alone. I just like watching stuff alone, probably because I find it hard to sit still for long periods of time and I don't want to bother other people.

Also, my room is a disaster zone. There have been times that I've been the only one capable of navigating it. When I do have people over, I move what I want to use to another room.
Acolyte

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:55 am Reply with quote
When I first got into watching anime, I definately watched it alone. Not because I wanted to, but because at the time it was such a fringe genre that nobody else knew about it. Then again, I've alway been an animation junky, and while my friends like cartoons, none of their tastes evolved beyond that. I think that one or two exceptions were Heavy Metal and Wizards, which are animated but not anime. I never could interest them in watching anime with me.

Given the choice, I'd rather watch anime with someone. Not nessecarily a big group, but maybe one or two select few. Now that I have kids I get to watch stuff with them; and since I've turned them into anime junkies as well, so much the better. We make an event out of it; popcorn, pop, various other snacks. Granted, my youngest is quite talkative and needs to be reminded to "hush!" now and again, but beyond that, it's one of my greatest pleasures to spend time with my kids watching anime together.

Unfortunately I don't always get to have them around, so, most of the time I do end up watching anime alone. Not by choice, but because of circumstances.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
Watching anime in groups was ruined for me when I used to go to anime club in college. It started out fun, but degenerated over the months until it was nothing but heckling and cat-calling through almost all of the series we watched. Plus the company was extremely irritating; it was made up of either people relatively new to anime who thought they knew everything and wouldn't stop talking in extremely loud voices about their knowledge of Rumiko Takahashi or CLAMP, or seasoned elitists who did know everything and rubbed in everyone's faces by talking in loud voices about, what, Mamoru Nagano and what not. And then act surprised if I knew who they were talking about. Sad
Anyway... I usually watch anime now at home, which means I'm either alone, with my roommate, or with my boyfriend. I like watching it all of those ways, although my roommate (also an anime fan) has a habit of getting a little chatty while we're watching stuff, so I have to end up re-watching the show later to get all the stuff I missed when I watched it with her. It's still nice though, because she often has insights I never would have thought of or noticed. And when I'm watching anime with my significant other, it's usually something both of us love and have seen a thousand times (Nadia, Millenium Actress, and Mind Game seem to get more rotation than anything else Wink); we usually pop something in the DVD player while we're unwinding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3