• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
S-cry-ed on AS

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:15 am Reply with quote
Wow, I had heard that the dub was really bad on this one, and they were right. Unfortunate, as I this is one of my favorite anime, I hope people like it on AS. They should give it a chance as it gets much better as time goes on.
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:35 am Reply with quote
Ya the dub is bad. Hopefully it gets better because its not looking good.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:50 am Reply with quote
There's a lot worst dub like R.O.D.
The dub on Scryed isn't bad at all. If anything, the anime fail in comparison to the manga.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:11 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

ROD is bad? And I thought "Those Obnoxious Aliens" was pretty bad. I guess everything after that sounds good. I missed last night (Last night of drinking with my brother before he leaves.) so I have to catch it on Thursday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Trickstr

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:13 am Reply with quote
mmm, I'd never get my hoped up about a dub.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:29 am Reply with quote
The dub on sCRYed is NOT a bad one. I've watched the whole series both ways and thought the English VAs generally did a good job reprising the Japanese performances. This is a series with a lot of energy, and performances in the key action roles definitely reflect that. I especially liked Scheris and Straight Cougar (who, for those who haven't seen the series, hasn't appeared yet) in English.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

ROD is bad? And I thought "Those Obnoxious Aliens" was pretty bad. I guess everything after that sounds good. I missed last night (Last night of drinking with my brother before he leaves.) so I have to catch it on Thursday.

Thats true I like the animation better in the manga than the series and the story seems more intense in the manga too.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
man David Lucas sounds horrible as Kazuma. i don't know what they were thinking. Ryuhou's voice is pretty good though.

also, what is with that lame version of the intro? i heard that's the only one on the dvd also.

darkhunter wrote:
There's a lot worst dub like R.O.D. The dub on Scryed isn't bad at all. If anything, the anime fail in comparison to the manga.

the dub of R.O.D. TV is fantastic.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
Its been a while since I've watched the show, especially the first episode. I own the show on DVD and I don't remember the first episode being so quick. I kind of felt like little bits were cut out but its probably because its been so long. I also like the dub, I thought the voices fit the characters quite nicely.

Quote:
also, what is with that lame version of the intro? i heard that's the only one on the dvd also.

Actually, the opening constantly changes throughout the show. A lot of the animation stays but as the show goes on some clips in the opening get re-arranged and some new animation bits are added in. But yes the other opening sequences are much better than that one.

sCRYed just needs some time. I can see how people will watch it and think its a typical "villan of the week" type of show but it goes in a very different direction. The show just needs a little time so things can get rolling and in my opinion everything in the show gets much better (aside from a few points where the animation looks too computerized). Its just gonna need a little time.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
the dub of R.O.D. TV is fantastic.

I thought he was talking about the OVA ROD, which is pretty hard to beileve since it is very good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Grico

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:26 pm Reply with quote
yes Crispin Freeman's Speed Cougar is great but beyond that the dub is pretty medicore at best.The female characters in particular are pretty poorly voiced.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
All the character designs are ripped off of Gundam Seed!

Kidding. I remember this show from college, damn it brings back memories. The best thing about this show is that the main character is a guy who hits thing with his fist. There really is no more depth to it, just a guy who hits things with his fist. Every time you think he's going to evolve or something, he just hits something with his fist. Wink
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The dub on sCRYed is NOT a bad one. I've watched the whole series both ways and thought the English VAs generally did a good job reprising the Japanese performances. This is a series with a lot of energy, and performances in the key action roles definitely reflect that. I especially liked Scheris and Straight Cougar (who, for those who haven't seen the series, hasn't appeared yet) in English.

Perhaps I'll warm up to them, the same thing happened with Escaflowne. After first hearing the dub I thought it was absolutely wretched, being used to the original performances, yet as time went on I became accustomed to the English VA's and realized that they did a fair job. The Japanese was still much better, no one can replace Maaya Sakamoto and Tomokazu Seki, but I can now appreciate the dub.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Having seen the whole show before, I think it's an enjoyable ride with a really lame ending. Of course, that's pretty far off from now, and it's still a show worth giving some time to. Although I got to be pretty annoyed with Kazuma and Ryuhou at times, the supporting cast is what really made the show for me, with characters like Cougar. In fact, Cougar's gotta be one of my all time favorite characters in general. I'm very interested in seeing him dubbed, especially since I already love Crispin Freeman's other work.

From what I've read of the manga, it's got less in the story department (it's more of an Alter of the Week story), but the character designs are more interesting and distinct and the art style in general is a lot more fun - not to mention the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure influence is even more obvious. Alters owe a whole damned lot to Stands.
ananda

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I did not find the DUB all that bad, I've heard that some of the females are kind of annoying, this might be true.I didn't see a problem with the male characters though.

It's the first time that I am watching this series and it seems to be quite interesting.

BTW, When is Cougar going to show up, I am looking forward to his performance Very Happy Also, what kind of character is he?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3