• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
R.O.D the TV complete boxset

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
This one is even stranger. Over at AnimeonDVD, they state that AAA anime has on their site a listing for ROD the TV complete boxset. It has a MSRP $199.95 though, and will be released July 5th. Geneon must have had a big success with this series. However, I've only got 3 DVDs so far.

Considering that DeepDiscountDVD sells Geneon single DVDs for $23.96 (MSRP of $29.99, about a 20% discount), they should be selling this for about $150-160 or so. Buying the individual DVDs at DeepDiscountDVD.com's price would be $8 to $18 more.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes, its already been established that box sets are indeed cheaper than individual discs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
Yes, its already been established that box sets are indeed cheaper than individual discs.

I think you've missed what Kusanagi is getting at. Box sets are usually discounted significantly in comparison to buying the individual discs.

R.O.D. TV is 7 DVD's, and comparing them to the MSRP shows little difference.

Purchasing them as individual discs? 7 DVD's X $29.99 = $209.93

Granted, the details about the box set haven't been released yet. Figure, box, etc haven't been accounted for, etc.

Even so, $10 less does not suggest a considerable amount of savings compared to buying the DVD's individually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:

Even so, $10 less does not suggest a considerable amount of savings compared to buying the DVD's individually.

So, then are you saying that it all comes down to a matter of preference? Whether or not you like owning a box set or the individual discs.

WAIT....is the box a brick?
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Geneon must have had a big success with this series. However, I've only got 3 DVDs so far.

You should get the others. This series is great.

My favorite thing about the series is the fact that it has very, very good cliffhanger endings to a lot of the episodes. It definitely has that "what the..." feeling to it every time I see it.

The story just builds and builds with each episode, and if you think things are probably weird now... trust me, you haven't seen anything yet. Wink
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
The box is a brick containing the all 7 DVD.

I originally saw R.O.D the TV as fansub, which is why I'm buying it, and that I like it too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
DeepDiscountDVD has this on their website finally. It is selling (pre-order) for $148.79. On Video Universe, it is selling for $139.99

Click Here for DeepDiscountDVD.com

Click Here For Video Universe
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
The box is a brick containing the all 7 DVD.

I'm not sure where you saw that, but the pic on AAA Anime is not a brick, it's an artbox. Which would also explain why it's so expensive, at least to start off. (Although it's a pic of the Vol 7 artbox) If it was a brick or thinpack, I would expect it to be waaaaay cheaper then it is.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
It could be that they are selling all 7 DVD's in the Artbox that the 7th DVD comes in.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
It could be that they are selling all 7 DVD's in the Artbox that the 7th DVD comes in.

Yup, which brings pricing more inline. $229.92 MSRP if you buy Vol. 7 w/ box w/ Anita figure and 1-6. (Either $174.35 or $176 from DeepDiscount, depending on what their Vol 2 pricing is [it's not listed])
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Geneon is known to use the same LE Artbox that came with volume 1. It's not a brick.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:30 am Reply with quote
200 seems like a bit more than what I paid for the individual discs--

vol 1 LE ~ 45 from Best Buy
vol 2-6 from mediacavern for 22 each ~ 110
vol 7 ~ 30 from animecornerstore

= total of 185 for 1-7, plus I bought the OVA from mediacavern for 15, and that's 200, the same price as just volumes 1-7 in this new box set. Good thing some of these sites are selling it for cheaper. It's worth the money, because unlike the norm where the dub is a throwaway for sub fans, this dub is actually quite good. They even make a voice acting joke in one of the previews, where they talk about a character, spoiler[Lee], who has died--the voice actor suddenly jumps in and says "Actually, I'm not dead, I'm down the hall in the other studio working on Koi Kaze" (also distributed by Geneon). Very Happy Laughing
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:39 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
200 seems like a bit more than what I paid for the individual discs--

Well of course, because you didn't pay MSRP for any of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1