• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How many episodes should an anime series have?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zauriel

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
What should be the standard norm for an anime?

I'd say 52-episode series should be the standard norm for an anime. 'Cause I want to enjoy watching more of my favorite anime's storyline and my equally favorite characters' development as well as their relationships.

26 is not enough. 13 is even less than enough. Because when the 26-episode shows like Love Hina or Ai Yori Aoshi ended, they didn't even cover the whole story in their original manga and it left me disappointed.

The most frequent norms for an anime:
1. 26 episodes
2. 13 episodes
3. 25 episodes

There have been several 39-episode series and 52-episode series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14629

Please use the pre-existing thread Smile.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Zauriel wrote:
What should be the standard norm for an anime?

Easy: however long it takes to completely tell the story at hand, while making the best attempt possible to avoid excess filler or compressing major plot points. This is not a set number, and will vary depending on the exact story being told.

Zauriel wrote:
I'd say 52-episode series should be the standard norm for an anime. 'Cause I want to enjoy watching more of my favorite anime's storyline and my equally favorite characters' development as well as their relationships.

Haibane Renmei & Boogiepop Phantom would've been RUINED by being 52 episodes in length. Their stories were told completely and soundly in only 13 & 12 episodes respectively, and any more would be overkill to the point of damaging the story.

And yes, making a series run too long WILL hurt it. Take Inu-Yasha, for example. Some 167 episodes, right? And easily more than half of that is filler with no bearing whatsoever on the actual story. If that series were reduced to 52...76 at the most episodes, it would be FANTASTIC. But as it is, all the constant filler with "Shippo's Special Friend" and "The Random Bat Demon That Poses No Threat" being stuck between the major beats of the overarching Naraku/Kikyou/Shikon Jewel plotline to the point of diluting its impact & continuity is just dragging the show down far too much. Then there's Nadia, which could've easily been completed in only 26 episodes, as a good dozen of the current 39 episodes are nothing but utterly POINTLESS desert island misadventures about 2/3 into the series, none of which really serve to establish any lasting pieces of character or story development. I almost GAVE UP on that series because these episodes, inserted right at the height of the plot's tension, dragged it down severely and made the show a painful chore to watch. And Kiddy Grade takes some dozen or more episodes to even GET to its plot; as much as I actually enjoy that series, they could've cut the expositional filler in half or more and it'd've actually served to help tighten up the plot & pacing considerably.

Are there series where a 52-episode or more run is beneficial? Yes, of course. Look at Gundam or Fullmetal Alchemist or Twelve Kingdoms (which...really does need more episodes made, actually). But not every series—in fact, far less than half of all series and not even a good percentage of the ones that actually ARE 52+ episodes—really need that amount of coverage. And then of course, there are some that need more coverage, but that also is not a universal (or even majority) rule.

Last edited by Nagisa on Wed May 25, 2005 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Nagisa completely.
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:54 am Reply with quote
I like the fact that 26 eppisodes gets the point accross and still gives enough detail to make the story interesting, I find if 13 is done right it can be great I dont realy like longer anime like ones that are 52 eppisodes, I feel they are mostly just filler and the real point of the story could have been told in half as many eppisodes. 26 gives you the ability to tell the story right. Not short enough for you to have to leave anything out but not long enough to have to have a lot of filler. Plus the majority of anime is 26 eppisodes so its better to get used to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nionel

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:00 am Reply with quote
Okay, my stand on stuff like this is that, like Nagisa said, it depends on how long it takes to tell the story, however also like Nagisa pointed out some series have no reason to be as long as they are, the example on InuYasha is a good one. Another example of this is Peacemaker Kurogane, which is 24 episodes, there has been so much filler however that the series would've been better off (storywise and for fans) if it has been 13. I'm sure if I really thought about it I could list off even more, but the point is that I perfer 13 episode series myself, but I also like some really long running series like Naruto...it's just for the stand point of a consumer, 13 episode series don't take as long to pick up nor do they cost as much...
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:45 am Reply with quote
I'd say 24-30 or so, though some could certainly go longer if it takes that much time to tell the story right. Twelve Kingdoms is a good example of that, couldn't imagine that one being much shorter and really it could have been much longer than it was and remained interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
philg

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I like short series with 26 episodes because it's just to the point. With 52 episode long series, it's a bit more full on and I don't usually like them because there's so much plot to cover that it even feels like a rush. Even though FMA was one of the best series I've ever seen, it was too full on. Now something like Naruto is what I love the most. There's episodes left for jokes and there's pauses in the plot to give the viewer a breather. I love long running storylines because I can get involved and I can get to know the characters and to me the characterisation is what makes a good anime. Even though Naruto seems to have no ending and it takes up a lot of time and the whole time I've been watching it i haven't watched any other anime, it still doesn't seem like it's too much.
KitsuneHiei

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:40 am Reply with quote

Last edited by KitsuneHiei on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Aokage

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop - 26 episodes
Samurai Champloo - 26 episodes
Berserk - 25 episodes
Neon Genesis Evangelion - 26 episodes
Chobits - 26 episodes
Najica - 12 episodes
Ikktousen - 13 episodes
Paranoia Agent - 13 episodes
Sakura Diaries - 13 episodes

I believe history has already shown, that all of the really good series, are between 13 and 26 episodes long. Of course my list is debateable, given that there is no accurate measure for subjective words like "really good." But even still, most popular opinions would have to agree with at least four of those series that I listed. Short anime are nice, cheaper and to the point. DBZ was ruined by drawn out battles. Naruto is great, but those damn flash backs can kill you. One Piece is funny and clever, but the side tracking from main quests, more annoying than a fetch quest in a video game. I'm not going to say I never watch long shows. I do watch Full Metal Alchemist, but that is only 51 episodes, which no where near compares to Naruto's 130+ episodes or DBZ's 250+ episodes.
msi435

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:57 am Reply with quote
Sure a 13-26 episode series is easy on the wallet but, there allot of great series out there that are really big like, monster, full metal alchemist, hajime no ippo, masion iku, fullmoon wo shigante or princess tutu (sorry for murdering the spellings!!). It all depends on the story, (as nagisa said) if the story calls for that many episodes than so be it. I don’t care if a series is 13 to a 100+ episodes, if it's good then I will watch it, simple as that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Trickstr

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:12 am Reply with quote
I think it depends on the series.With series like hellsing and X It would have been better with more episodes. However even though I really enjoyed Tsukihime I think 13 episodes were enough for that particular series. Cowboy Bebop, Noir and Hack sign all also seemed pretty well in place with 26 episodes.
You must remember that even if it is a series it can become bad if your drag it on.
But if I had to answer I'd say 26 episodes should be standard. So its fairly long yet not dragged out.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
As many as it can sustain.

I like 26 as a minimum, few series seem to fit at 13 (although some do).

If a series can keep going without getting tiresome though, more power to them.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
As long as it takes to have a good plot development. A lot of anime have hasty endings, and that really annoys me. Sometimes anime that goes on for too long isn't good either. Imagine if GITS:SAC went on for over a hundred episodes. I think it might sound great at first, but GITS-SAC focuses on plot and dragging it out might ruin some of it, making it just a group of people solving random cases type of thing.
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14629

Please use the pre-existing thread Smile.

I think i agree with tony on this one
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2