• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you think anime creators will run out of ideas by 2020?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
takkunthecat

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
There have been so many differnt kinds of animes, do you think anime creators would run out of ideas by 2020?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
No, they won't run out of ideas. They might combine elements from other anime, but they wont.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
zaphdash

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure a lot of anime creators have already been out of ideas for quite a long time. Either that or they're holding out on us.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
takkunthecat wrote:
There have been so many differnt kinds of animes, do you think anime creators would run out of ideas by 2020?

Did comic book creators run out of ideas 50 years after their creations?

Well... some people may say yes, while some people view them as fresh. Really, 15 years from now, there will bound to be people who still see anime, or any animation for that matter, as pretty fresh. And some people won't.

Ideas are virtually limitless. Sorta.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
space clam

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, if Hollywood has run out of ideas, it sure didn't stop them, did it? I don't see them necessarily running out of ideas by some set date.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
i kinda find it hard to say that because the people creating anime in 2020 will undoubtably be different from those who are creating it today. Hopefully those fresh young minds will also have fresh new ideas. As technology gets better creators will be able to play with new ideas that they, perhaps, have been holding in reserve for the right moment.

Anyway you can think of this in two different ways. Throughout our history, people have told stories (a simplified look at what anime is), you can say that, we've either already run out of stories and are simply rehashing what already been told or that each new generation has reinvented the art of storytelling. In either case, there isnt much to suggest that well run out of ideas by that specific date.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
How about Love Hina 2020.

Harem series has already ran out of idea yet new ones keep coming and people still eat it up...just add a gimmick like robot maids or alien teachers.

And we'll likely see a new Gundam series.
philg

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
It will be strange because things like Ghost in The Shell will have to become even more farfetched and futuristic because some things may become reality... I'm not suggesting we'll have invisible cyborgs sneaking around or anything, just that our technology will be much more advanced and that alone may create new ideas. Anyway I have heaps of ideas, people have different capacities for creativity... I mean I've got heaps of ideas that would make a good plot for an anime series, I don't intend to make an anime or anything but if the industry runs out of ideas, there'll be lots of people who will gladly contribute ideas.
And it's not a crime to borrow plots from other series and add them to a new one and make it a lot better.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
No. There will be new anime creators by then.

And hopefully they'll start coming in soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
takkunthecat wrote:

That's absurd. It makes me wonder if Athenians thought "Man, entertainment can't get any better than this! Playwrights are going to run out of ideas in the next 20 years for sure!" after Sophocles wrote Oedipus the King...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:14 am Reply with quote
takkunthecat wrote:

of course not. by then they'll have virtual harem Wink
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:56 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
takkunthecat wrote:

of course not. by then they'll have virtual harem Wink

I can't wait, I'll be an old man by then.
Aokage

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:03 am Reply with quote
I believe in general, the ideas will start to bear massive similarities. Even now, across cultures, we can see the numerous stories that overlap with at least some similar or exat element. Just look at Marvel's Blade and then look at Vampire Hunter D (which were both around in the same time frame, if you trace them back to their comic and novel respectively). Both stories portrayed a half human half vampire who is incredibly powerful and hateful of his own kind. Then you could parallel Negima with Harry Potter. Both are glasses wearing British wizards who take part in a huge adventure. Granted Potter stays around in england, while Negima goes on to teach english in Japan.

Even Gigantor and Godzilla share a similar tone. Godzilla is the monster born of Nuclear fallout, that mostly destroys Japan, but in other instances, rises forth to be its savior. Gigantor is the giant machine designed after World War II, to battle against any nation that tries to use an atomic weapon. Eventually Gigantor's post WWII purpose would be shourded and he would go on to simply champion good and right wrongs...but you get the idea. In the end, no matter how similar or exact a story may become, we are all only concerned with the process. The journey is more important sometimes, than the destination. Tell me the same kind of story five times in a row and I may get bored. Tell me the same story, but with a different twist to it, and i may get hooked every time. This is how I view human creativity.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:12 am Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
Well, if Hollywood has run out of ideas, it sure didn't stop them, did it? I don't see them necessarily running out of ideas by some set date.

So, when is the next video game live action or anime movie due? Razz Nah, I don't think anime will get stale all that soon. They might reuse, renew, recycle stuff, but I don't see it running out of ideas for a very, very long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Trickstr

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:05 am Reply with quote
Humans never run out of ideas. Our minds are chaotic, random and creative. We'll only run out of ideas when we get smashed to peices by an exploding sun or an abnormally large comet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3