• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
looking for recommendations

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leto

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hello. I need some anime recommendations. I am looking for something more serious - drama is my favourite genere(it should at least have drama elements - a good example is GTO). Something with good, realistic characters. It can be romance(but no harem, magical girl or other stuff like that! The girl has to be human, no robots, no girls with cat ears and tails, no wings, no big guns and no aliens! ). I hate cliche and I start rolling my eyes when I see it. It can be shoujo, but I don't want the male characters to be idolized(maybe something like Hana Yori Dango). I like characters with depth, with their own problems. Their past should reflect their personality. I think I prefer characters over story. The character developement should be fast, I don't like series with 100+ episodes that have meaningless episodes and fillers(I don't like stupid situations and situational humor(example: trip and fall), I don't like it when characters say stuff like "nyuu"). I don't like anime that revolve around fan service and have no substance. I prefer real world over sci-fi and fantasy. If it has to be fantasy or sci-fi, I'd like it to be serious, something like Berserk, Planetes or GITS. Length doesn't really matter, but I am not looking for something epizodical(I dislike most epizodical anime), to watch 2 or 3 episodes a day. I want something with a strong story line and little fillers. It can be a sports anime. No superpowers and no people shouting out names of their special moves and tricks.

Here is my anime list, don't recommend me something I've already seen.
http://www.animenfo.com/myanimedb.php?userid=43022
Gonna be hard? Wink

I asked that on Animenfo, but I didn't get much feedback, so I'm trying here. I apologize if this topic is breaking any rules, I didn't' see a sticky where I could post this.
dgreater1

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:45 am Reply with quote
Serious drama... Air TV will surely give you a misty eye (but I remembered you don't like Supernaturals... well anyway try this out I'm sure you'll be satisfied, or you might even ask for more), Kimi ga Nozomu (A more normal drama, but you might hate some elements inside it but I don't really think you'll hate it so... anyway just watch this, it's a good show), Saikano (another depressing one, but hell, this one kinda reminds me of Evangelion),

Air TV - anime#2480 You'll be amazed with the superb visual quality of this series and deep story Anime smile
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien - anime#2570 - prepare some tissue
Kanon - anime#313 - created by the ones who created Air [Key/Visual Arts]
Haibane Renmei - anime#1871
Grave of the Fireflies - anime#152 - you want normal? here's a real normal one... I mean, the story here could really happen to anyone right? Oh poor Satsuko...
Fool Moon wo Sagashite - anime#872 - this is a shoujo drama/comedy/romance show and it's really great, too bad... it's 52 eps... you might not like long series... anyway, this is the best long series for me (yup, for me not for you, but if you want... it could be one of your best)
Fruits Basket - anime#348 - You like GTO right because [It's Funny/It's Sad/It's Weird/It has a good story]? Well, Fruits Basket is the closest I can think of (I don't really like Gokusen (I've seen it), I get the feeling she's just a female GTO)

many more... that I don't want to list it,

This is the best drama I think that will make you tear/cry/sad/depress/heartbroken/blahblahblah, but you might not, coz everyone has it's own taste

by the way... if you'll stick to your preferations... you might not get what you want coz almost all anime has those...

EDIT: Some typo errorsszzzsss
Leto

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:19 am Reply with quote
Well, thanks for the effort. You should have checked my list first, though. I have seen all but two(Gokusen and AIR, and I doubt I'll like AIR). By drama I don't mean soap operas, but rather something like Aristotle's definitioin of tragedy.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:23 am Reply with quote
Leto wrote:
Quote:
Hello. I need some anime recommendations. I am looking for something more serious - drama is my favourite genere(it should at least have drama elements - a good example is GTO). Something with good, realistic characters. It can be romance(but no harem, magical girl or other stuff like that! The girl has to be human, no robots, no girls with cat ears and tails, no wings, no big guns and no aliens! ). I hate cliche and I start rolling my eyes when I see it. It can be shoujo, but I don't want the male characters to be idolized(maybe something like Hana Yori Dango). I like characters with depth, with their own problems. Their past should reflect their personality. I think I prefer characters over story. The character developement should be fast, I don't like series with 100+ episodes that have meaningless episodes and fillers(I don't like stupid situations and situational humor(example: trip and fall), I don't like it when characters say stuff like "nyuu"). I don't like anime that revolve around fan service and have no substance. I prefer real world over sci-fi and fantasy. If it has to be fantasy or sci-fi, I'd like it to be serious, something like Berserk, Planetes or GITS. Length doesn't really matter, but I am not looking for something epizodical(I dislike most epizodical anime), to watch 2 or 3 episodes a day. I want something with a strong story line and little fillers. It can be a sports anime. No superpowers and no people shouting out names of their special moves and tricks.

Here is my anime list, don't recommend me something I've already seen.
http://www.animenfo.com/myanimedb.php?userid=43022
Gonna be hard? Wink

I asked that on Animenfo, but I didn't get much feedback, so I'm trying here. I apologize if this topic is breaking any rules, I didn't' see a sticky where I could post this.

It seems like you are limiting yourself to "slice-of-life" anime and not much else. Does your anime list contain your favorite anime or just all the titles that you have already seen? The only title that I can think of that fits your criteria and that you haven't already seen is Piano: The Melody of a Young Girl's Heart. It is coming out in June for the U.S. and is a 10-episode "slice-of-life" shoujo series that you probably might like if you have the patience and not an action fan. I haven't seen it yet and currently not planning on getting it, but you can read reviews and discussions of it on animeondvd.com.

For "sci-fi" anime "with aliens" but realistic characters, you might like Shadow Star: Narutaru, already out in the U.S. Not really "slice-of-life", but just a recommendation based on you having seen Alien Nine. Some people have said it is the most shocking and disturbing anime they've ever seen, spoiler[especially towards the end.] I also haven't seen it yet, but I'm planning on purchasing this series based on the overall good reviews and the interesting storyline.
msi435

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
For Drama I recommend Gankutsuou.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
IceAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quote
Eureka seveN - New bones anime that I find enjoyable.
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
Gankutsuou is DEFINATLEY my #1 recommendation. It's undoubtedly one of the best anime ever. Based on The Counte of Monte Cristo.
Leto

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
I don't limit myself to anything, I can enjoy any genere, those are just my preferences. Actually, a large part of my favourites are either sci-fi or fantasy(Berserk, Now and then, here and there, Seikai no Senki, TEXHNOLYZE, Vision of Escaflowne and many more). I'm just looking for something more serious, non epizodical with value as a whole. I am not looking for something that I would watch a few episodes a day. I'm not saying it has to be drama, it can be comedy, but it shouldn't be based soley on humor(like FMP:Fumoffu!), it should have a story and character development.

The list is everything I've seen(minus around 10), would be hard to have that many favourites ;p. Thanks for the effort, already getting Gankutsuou. Suggest more, if you have any ideas.
msi435

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Leto wrote:
...already getting Gankutsuou...

good... very good...

An other one i would suggest is the studio ghibli film, Whisper of the Heart. That would probably be my number 1 recommendation, don't think about it just get it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:58 am Reply with quote
Try Boys Be and To Heart--they're both coming on DVD from Right Stuf (eventually). Aside from a lovable kawaii robot in To Heart (who apppears in only a couple of episodes), they're pretty grounded in reality, there is some decent romantic drama, and the comedy isn't Azumanga Daioh/Fumoffu/Excel Saga insanity. Those two shows are only 13 episodes apiece. They'll seem episodical at first, but there will be continuing storylines near the end.

Although Fushigi Yuugi is certainly a magic & mayhem show, there's plenty of tragic elements to go around; it is, after all, based on the manga by the same author as Ayashi no Ceres, which is on your list. It's 52 episodes plus 13 OVA episodes, so it is long and involved without reaching Sailor Moon/DragonballZ/Naruto proportions. If you like Yuu Watase, check out the Imadoki manga; it's realistic/high school/slice of life/shoujo romance/drama, but not bishounen harem or idolizing, which certainly does occur with Touya in Ceres and Tamahome in FY.

I know you wanted serious, but Comic Party is a more intelligent comedy show (especially Taishi's wonderful Engrish), and although the extra mini-episodes have some supernatural bits, the main show is very grounded in reality, though it is a little twisted.

I would highly recommend Air as well, even though I've only seen the first 11 episodes (of 13). I apologize for straying into the supernatural, but this show is very serious, it's dramatic, and it has the most character development in a short series that I've ever seen.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read through, but I'll post something...

DEFINATELY "now and then, here and there"

It'll probably fall under the general idea of what you want to see... unless you've seen it already and didn't like it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1