• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Ball revival by Akira Toriyama

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThirdEyeAwakened

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The Dragon Ball manga had an 11 year run from 1984 to 1995 and we all know how it was made into one of the most popular animes of all time. Dragon Ball Z is special to me. I watched it religously as a child every day after school and watching today brings back nostalgic memories. When Dragon Ball GT was released i was, i think like every one else, disappointed. The reason behind why GT was so disappointing was because the anime was no longer following the canon. It picked up where Toriyama left off and he never touched it again. As a huge DBZ fan i want nothing more for Toriyama to fix the huge pile crap that Dragon Ball GT was. So if he was at all remotely considering reviving Dragon Ball would you guys think?
ThirdEyeAwakened

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
The Dragon Ball manga had an 11 year run from 1984 to 1995 and we all know how it was made into one of the most popular animes of all time. Dragon Ball Z is special to me. I watched it religously as a child every day after school and watching today brings back nostalgic memories. When Dragon Ball GT was released i was, i think like every one else, disappointed. The reason behind why GT was so disappointing was because the anime was no longer following the canon. It picked up where Toriyama left off and he never touched it again. As a huge DBZ fan i want nothing more for Toriyama to fix the huge pile crap that Dragon Ball GT was. So if he was at all remotely considering reviving Dragon Ball would you guys think?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Akira Toriyama is too busy swimming in his money like Scrooge McDuck to make more Dragon Ball.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ThirdEyeAwakened

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Akira Toriyama is too busy swimming in his money like Scrooge McDuck to make more Dragon Ball.

Scrooge McDuck? im not following what your refrencing here -_-
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
There's really no point in reviving Dragon Ball. All has been said and done. There's no real need to continue the story.
I highly, highly doubt Toriyama will ever revive Dragon Ball. From what I've heard, he really got tired with Dragon Ball and tried to end it on multiple occasions.
However, if a new DB manga was going to be made, don't expect Toriyama to be involved in it at all.
silencer226

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
ThirdEyeAwakened wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Scrooge McDuck? im not following what your refrencing here -_-

Whooo hoo! /reference

Eh, to be completely honest as the Cell saga ended I became pretty burnt out of the Dragonball series. The Buu stuff bored me...
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:23 am Reply with quote
Buu Saga- kill, burn, ashes throw in ocean, watch Futurama trying to forget.
If the miracle happened I would be the first one to read it. It's the fan's heart, but voice of reasons says bitter truth.
In the last arc the fatigue of the author and the story was really visible. Why should he continue the work, while he lost whole enthusiasm and clearly had no clue about that? It's better to finish earlier than seeing your favourites turning into worse.
IIRC Toryiama made some things for DB Online. Also we had Episode of Bardock. I think that could be the way- official dōjinshi, approved by creator that gives new stories and reason to endless debates about canon.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
There's really no point in reviving Dragon Ball. All has been said and done. There's no real need to continue the story.
I highly, highly doubt Toriyama will ever revive Dragon Ball. From what I've heard, he really got tired with Dragon Ball and tried to end it on multiple occasions.
However, if a new DB manga was going to be made, don't expect Toriyama to be involved in it at all.
a_inman86

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote
To be honest I was happy with the ending of the Cell saga. Having Gohan the only ascended super saiyan at the time to take up Goku's place was more enjoyable of an ending for me. I heard rumors that Akira wanted to end it there, but fans wanted Goku back (not sure if that's true.) In Akira's cut of the Anime DBZ Kai, it ends at the Cell saga (whether that's how he wanted Kai to end or if it got cancelled I'm unsure).

Though, I think he did write that OVA "Dragon Ball: Yo, The Return of Son Goku and Friends", from what I've read online.
hidansama92

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt Akira will make a new DB series but would really enjoy if he were to make a DBAF taking some of the thousand of fan-made stories and make a series out of them. But, I don't think it will ever happen... Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1