• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Get Your Avatars Here

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:09 am Reply with quote
I can't stand the thought of member running around with no avaters. Therefore I've taken the liberty of making some for you. However before you use them you must beg at my feet. MWUHAHAHAHA! Just kidding, pick the one you like and be happy Very Happy.

More are coming soon!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dudesup

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 11:16 am Reply with quote
How do I put an avatar? Do I have to upload it to a geocities site Confused
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 11:46 am Reply with quote
dudesup wrote:

How do I put an avatar? Do I have to upload it to a geocities site :?

Go to "Profile" on the right-hand bar. Scroll down to the Avatar Control Panel at the bottom.

Type in the URL of the avatar you want to use.. it needs to be an image no greater than 80x80 pixels and 6kB large. Those avatars, for example, appear to be fine.

So, if you wanted to use, oh, say Gyro's Ryoko picture, you would right click on the image, and go down to "Properties" (Assuming you use IE5.x or greater). Highlight the URL (http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/preview/gy/gyro280/tm05.gif) and press Control-C (Copy). Then paste it in the "Link to Off-Site Avatar" box in your profile.

Of course, that means the bandwidth for the avatar is coming from Gyro's account on auctionwatch.com -- I suppose Auctionwatch is about as thrilled with off-site linking as we were about it.. that is to say, "Not very"...

Most people have a few mb of webspace on their ISP's server. @home, Adelphia, Universities, and almost all smaller ISPs and provide a small amount (5-10mb) of webspace for you to link things like these images. You just need to figure out where some space is, and how to access it. You can call your ISP to find out how to do this. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gyro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I got a few more.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gyro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I see dudesup is using my Sano avatar Very Happy.

I might have more for you guys later, but it depends on if I think you deserve them or not. Very Happy

Last edited by Gyro on Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vicious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I've got good ol' Spiku for here, however....

*Grabs Space Ghost avatar for use on another forum*

Nifty :)
Gyro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Vicious wrote:

*Grabs Space Ghost avatar for use on another forum*

Nifty Smile

Thanks Very Happy. What other forum would that be?
dudesup

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Yea, thanks for the avatars Gyro. Very Happy
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, dudesup, Geocities won't let you link to pics on Geocities sites from external pages. Try responding to an old article on Indymedia (a leftist so-called "anarchist" site that thinks removing any post, no matter how off-topic, constitutes "censorship") with a pic and then linking to that pic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dudesup

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, no wonder my avatar didn't load. Stupid geocities Evil or Very Mad
Vicious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Gyro wrote:

Just a small forum nobody would really care about :)

As for the avatar linking dudesup, alternativly you could rename it sano043.txt to trick geocities into letting you link it and it should work just fine. Some forums won't let you use the .txt extention for linking to a avatar though. And of course if you use up your allocated bandwidth your avatar will go temperarily down until you get it back, though I have no idea how much geocities gives you so it may not be a problem if you just use your site to link stuff and nobody visits it.

If you give up on geocities though boomspeed.com is a good choice for hosting pics. They need a valid email address, but I signed up about two months ago and I havn't been spammed with any junk mail.(New email addy sense @home went under, so I'm completly clean spamwise)
Nixale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I love you, really. Very Happy
Gyro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Nixale wrote:

I love you, really. Very Happy
Yes, yes, everyone does Very Happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1