• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Who is your favorite domestic publisher?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aokage

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:34 am Reply with quote
I remember in my youth, that the greater majority of popular anime and anime that I enjoyed, was released by Central Park Media (Manga). They put out The Guyver (years after L.A. Hero did back in 1992), Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Macross Plus, Street Fighter II V, Devil Man etc etc. The list seemed endless in those days. These days, though, Central Park Media doesn't seem to be doing too hot. Most of its activity in the market, is limited to DVD rereleases of old properties, or rebundling box sets of anime they still have licenses. In essence, Central Park Media is a sad and hollow shell of what it used just 5 years ago.

With that said, i've quickly taken a shine to Geneon/Pioneer. Paranoia Agent, Samurai Champloo, Ikkitousen. Thse three anime have me pleased as punch, with the publishing selections from this company. I've already begun to trust their brand so much, that I am willing to take gambles on animes that I know nothing about (which is what I recently did with Ikkitousen). So for the moment, Geneon gets my vote. How about the rest of you?

Last edited by Aokage on Sun May 08, 2005 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:20 am Reply with quote
Samurai Deeper Kyo is a Media Blasters Title.

I'm going to go with FUNimation, simply for either having titles I'm interested in, or just overall better quality releases and packins... and stuff.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote
I would go with Media Blasters. They usually have a high episode count per disk and they tend to bring out the not the most popular titles, but the interesting niche titles that tend to get overlooked by companies with more money/rescources like Bandai and Geneon. Examples of this are Twelve Kingdoms, Figure 17, Otogi Zoshi.

These are also good titles as opposed to the 1001 incidental junk titles that ADV liscenses and puts out (along with some fairly solid titles as well).

Also, recently extras have markedly improved, with more of the "PBS style" extras I like rather then the repeated character gallerys and opening/closing cr*p that's passed off by ADV and especially Geneon. For example, Otogi Zoshi had two parts (of 4) of a creative staff interview plus a lecture by a Todai Professor on Heian era Japan. When I rented Shrine of the Morning Mist it had a two whole sections on Shinto mythology and a third about the area where the story is based.

All the Best,

Nani?
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:32 am Reply with quote
I think Geneon is my favorite company. I like most of the titles that Geneon licenses such as Tenchi Muyo! OAV, Cardcaptor Sakura, Chobits, A Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar and Serial Experiments Lain. These are Geneon titles that I own and have watched most of. Three of them are in my current top 5 favorite anime series.

I like the fact that Geneon doesn't always seem to just license titles that will appeal to the majority in the U.S. First there was Cardcaptor Sakura, then A Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, and now Bottle Fairy. I'm not so sure about Cardcaptor Sakura, but I think I'm in the minority in the U.S. that likes the other two titles. I want and am expecting Geneon to eventually license Pita-Ten, Tsubasa Chronicle, and maybe Aishiteru ze Baby. I think these series are typical Geneon licenses.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:44 am Reply with quote
I just started watching my first Media Blasters/Anime Works series The Twelve Kingdoms. I do like it for the high episode count and it's an extremly good series. And the company seems to have a few more good animes that I saw on previews so I may take a look at them.

I'm not a really big fan of Funimation (I just cannot stand those Lupin movies), but I am collecting Fullmetal Alchemist and there is another series called Gunslinger Girl that looks interesting so I may check that out.

Bandai and Geneon are always good. They do get the best of them. Cowboy Bebop and Trigun were the first and third series I bought and most of the series I own come from Bandai and Geneon.

I haven't seen much from ADV save for Neon Genesis: Evangelion. Once I get my Platinums of the series this week, I'll see if they have any good previews for some other shows of theirs (I didn't like any of the previews that were on the original ADV release).

And, of course, there's Manga Entertainmet. I first started my anime collection with them by purchasing Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Perfect Blue, and Black Jack. They do have the coolest logo. I still need to buy that Manga shirt. It's so cool!.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
Null. Inane's good too, but they can be a few weeks late at times. Null's almost always prompt.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
My number 1 would be Bandai as series from them dominate my DVD collection (Various Gundam series, Cowboy Bebop, S-CRY-ed, Witch Hunter Robin), next would be ADV (Blue Seed, BGC Tokyo 2040, Evangellion, Noir, Madlax), then would be Geneon/Pioneer (Hellsing, Tsukihime, Gungrave, ROD the TV, Ikki Tousen). The other companies are also represented but to a lesser extent.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
When I started into anime the majority of titles available where I could buy them were from ADV. I have picked up other series and movies from other publishers, but my loyalty lies with ADV. They have the best trailers. Geneon is second for their value re-releases, then Bandai, Viz, and US Manga Corps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aokage

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
My mistake about Samurai Deeper Kyo. I was looking at my manga collection when I said that. I corrected my post to say Samurai Champloo, which is what I meant to list.

Anyways, it seems that the popular choice is Funimation...which actually surprises me. Doesn't Funimation have the license to One Piece and Shaman King? Funimation isn't that bad...but i'm not really into their dub work from the animes I have seen, like Dragon Ball Z.

I have to second ADV though...those guys are really shaping up with their manga and anime. Full Metal Panic, Chrono Crusade...all excellent titles. My apologies for not having included a poll in this thread people...but please keep the responses coming Smile
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Aokage wrote:

Anyways, it seems that the popular choice is Funimation...which actually surprises me. Doesn't Funimation have the license to One Piece and Shaman King? Funimation isn't that bad...but i'm not really into their dub work from the animes I have seen, like Dragon Ball Z.

I alway thought of Funimation as the least liked company of those actively pursueing new titles and Geneon, Bandai, and to a slightly lesser extent ADV as the popular choices.
(Note that by this standard Animeigo doesn't count and Manga barely counts.)
Funi is infamous for it's Dragonball dub, its ties to For Kids. It has had exactly one purely adult (non-hentai) oriented show, Blue Gender, and three teen to adult shows Fruit Baskets, Full Metal Alchemist, and Samurai 7. One Piece and Shaman King do appeal to one segment of the fan community but everybody else couldn't give a rat's rear end.
On the other hand, the "big three" I just mentioned seem to have a very broad appeal in variety and types of shows. For example:

Geneon--X tv, Haibane, Sugar Fairies, ROD TV, Ikki Tosen, Last Exile. Note awesome shows but a low episode count and indifferent extras.
Bandai--Wolf's Rain, Banner/Crest of Stars, Gundum
ADV-- Noir, BGC 2040, Nadesico, Full Metal Panic, Eva along with some solid limited interest shows like Gasaraki and Princess 9. I rate ADV slightly lower because they seem to cast thier net very wide, picking up a greater percentage of shows NeoRanga that are truely bottom of the barrel and a larger percentage of the headline shows seem to be older.

My personal choice of Media Blasters is based purely they are the company must likely to suprise me positively with a show that fell off the radar, so to speak. Usually these are shows that have non-flaw flaws that damage marketablity but do not reduce the quality of said show. Twelve Kingdoms with lots of unfamilar (to westerners) Chinese motifs or the hour long Figure 17 episodes are examples of this. I make no arguement for it being the popular choice.

All the Best,

Nani?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Aokage wrote:

Anyways, it seems that the popular choice is Funimation...which actually surprises me. Doesn't Funimation have the license to One Piece and Shaman King?

They distribute various titles for 4Kids, the company that produces the Edited dub in the first place.

Quote:
Funimation isn't that bad...but i'm not really into their dub work from the animes I have seen, like Dragon Ball Z.

Their work since Dragonball has been pretty swell so far, considering the difference in market For the Dragonball franchise/Case Closed (supposedly, but thats a different matter), and things such as Blue Gender, Fullmetal Alchemist, and what not. Sure theres quite a bit of dialouge rewrites, but it still retains the original point, and original intentions of the initial Japanese script. Ontop of that, despite a few episode-disc count spiffs, their releases are generally getting even more solid as time goes on. Samurai 7 will have full storyboards included ontop of Region 2 coverart and a whole slew of extras (supposedly). Their FMA release has also been pretty top notch, and things like Yuyu Hakusho are reasonably well priced.

Quote:
I have to second ADV though...those guys are really shaping up with their manga and anime. Full Metal Panic, Chrono Crusade...all excellent titles.

You're forgetting the gigantic ammount of low B- E grade titles, such as Wedding Peach, Saint Seiya, Burn Up, Cyberteam in Akibahara, Divergence Eve, and more, constant pointless re-releases of things no one cares about like Getter Robo Armageddon, Bubblegum Crisis 2040, A.D Police TV, and so forth, and the ever spectacularly awful self productions Lady Death and Sin. Add the fact that they take an age to release the things they announce (Nadesico, for example, took three years to come out and to what end? A badly subtitles, non-anamorphic DVD in 2.0, only months before a new 5.1 anamorphic disc came out in Japan. Don't you think it would have been more worthwhile to wait that little bit longer so we could atleast get a disc that's worth a crap?). They're good in some regards, but drag their feet in plenty of others (the begging of calls to support animenetwork, pointless re-releases, cheap, nasty 5.1 English tracks, the inability to get over themselves).

I don't know why that came out....
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
most of my stuff are GENEON titles, so I'll say that...
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
If I had to guess based on the simple number of DVDs that I own, I would have to say ADV because their DVDs take up about 43% of my collection. I don't really keep up with new releases though. I'm generally constantly trying to build up with older stuff. I will be getting the Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu series as it comes out, so that should increase the percentage to 46%.
jagozon

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
For me it would have to be between Funimation and ADV.
ADV because they have my favorite anime Evangelion,and they have Newtype USA,the Animenetwork.
Funimation because they have good quality like in FMA,Kiddy Grade and Spiral.But Fruits Basket is the anime that realy to likeing them. Very Happy
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I've always love AnimEigo for their commitment to quality and their persistence in giving fans of classic anime excellent releases. Their treatment of Urasei Yatsura and Ah! My Goddess is without reproach and I can think of no other company more committed to the fans of its products.

Geneon I also like because they are very adventurous and are very consistent in their products. They're also one of the best companies when it comes to my favorite genre; romantic comedy/harem anime, having released such great titles as Ai Yori Aoshi and Tenchi Muyo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3