• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Best Leader sounds the most interesting to me right now, followed by Best Mentor. Best Leader would be great because it is much more clear-cut what makes a leader great than a pair of rivals. The judging would be more objective which is good cause subjective judging dragged this tournament down a bit. And there definitely would be overlaps with the Most Intelligent tournament, but I don't think L (the winner of that tourney) or Light for that matter would win Best Leader, so we'd have new blood.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The game is over, so this thread is getting un-stickied effective with this post. Those interested in discussing prospects for the next game are welcome to continue to use this thread to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Best Mentor would be quite interesting, although the rules for it would have to be very clear (who qualifies as one and who does not), but Best Leader might turn out a good tournament too, if it happens.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
My concern about Best Leader is that it would just end up being another love fest for certain GITS and LoGH characters. Really, who would even challenge Aramaki and/or Kusanagi or the LoGH leads? (Actually, there are characters good enough to do it, but how many would actually support characters like Utawarerumono's Hakuoro or Twelve Kindgom's Shoryu over them?)

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the category might be interesting even despite that concern. Often in anime the best leaders and the best heroes aren't synonymous.

And, frankly, I see Best Mentor as too thin to support even a 64-participant tournament unless we made it Teacher/Mentor. Even then I question how strong a field we could come up with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
There have been lots of interesting teachers in Anime. Think of Yukari from Azumanga Daioh. Just because she isn't a good teacher doesn't mean she isn't fun to watch. If you just want effective teachers then the list may be small, but if you widen it to include teachers who are also good characters then the potential field is not insignificant.

But here's a suggestion. What about Most Moe: Redux? The reason I raise this is because a lot of people - myself included - were either not here or simply did not participate for that tournament when it was held. It seems a shame that we'll never have it again just because it was done many moons ago.

I think that with all the Moe characters who have appeared since then we'd have a huge field. I mean, we ARE supposed to be in the middle of some massive Moe boom, so there's absolutely no shortage of new candidates. And it seems like it would be a fun tourney.

Who's with me? Anyone?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm with the Most Moe idea. It's been about six years since the original tournament and it should give the whole tournament idea a shot in the arm. Frankly, we are running out of interesting ideas and too few people are voting. If it were re-run, I reckon it should be limited to anime released since the original tournament and then have a final showdown between Nana and the newer winner.

Edit: I'd prefer Best Moe to Most Moe, however. Quantity does not equal quality. Wink
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have zero interest in anything Moe being done, even less than the Badass Tourney, and would definitely not participate because, quite frankly, I don't care about moe at all.

Some of the other ideas sound like they could be interesting, though I am ready for a bit of a break.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
Well, I hate what Moe has done to Anime, and even I think it could be fun. Rin from Usagi Drop would be a delight to nominate.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote
Like marie-antoinette I have no interest whatsoever in Moe, so I am not going to participate in a re-run of Most Moe.

But I would like to see a re-run of Best Duo. There are plenty of good duos in anime and some duos that were in Best Duo tournament are stronger now because they have a second season like Spice and Wolf or two more seasons like Nodame Cantabile. I'm interested in seeing how well they would do now.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:24 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Like marie-antoinette I have no interest whatsoever in Moe, so I am not going to participate in a re-run of Most Moe.

But I would like to see a re-run of Best Duo. There are plenty of good duos in anime and some duos that were in Best Duo tournament are stronger now because they have a second season like Spice and Wolf or two more seasons like Nodame Cantabile. I'm interested in seeing how well they would do now.

While Best Duos was pretty fun, I don't think you'd get anywhere near the strength of field that a Most/Best Moe would garner. I mean, there are only a few really good duos since the last tourney, so I would be wary that many of the same duos would make it to the finals if the tourney were held again. But there have been loads of Moe characters since its own tourney six years ago, many of which would be strong contenders.

I expect that if Most/Best Moe (acceding to errinundra's point about quality here; natch) were to be run it would be easy, light-hearted and fun. Perhaps most importantly, I believe it would appeal to people who don't usually switch onto these tournaments. If there's one thing you can say about Moe, it is that it has a lot of fans.

Yes, we'd bleed some regulars who just can't stand Moe, but we're bleeding support anyway. The last few tournaments haven't gone so well, with flagging interest and low voter turnout. I think it is time to refresh things.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
I agree with dtm42's point that there haven't been enough new strong duos emerge in the past three years to sufficiently shake up the Best Duos field. Oh, we'd certainly see some new faces go far (Isaac and Miria, maybe one of the Cross Game pairings), some that might go farther due to more establishing content (especially Lawrence and Holo), and some turnover in the lower echelons, but not enough to make a big difference.

I am more ambivalent about a repeat of Most/Best Moe. While I'm not keen in general about repeating an already-used theme, it has been six years since the start of that tournament and the intervening years have seen a massive influx of new potential contenders during that time, including many that would be strong enough to shake up the upper ranks of that tournament; Kanon, Clannad, and Lucky Star are just three of the moe behemoths which have come out since then, for instance. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that close to two-thirds of the tournament field would be new.

I disagree that it would be a more light-hearted affair, however, as I remember the arguments in that one getting rather heavy in the later stages.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
If you want to try something different, chose one of the weaker (best duo or teacher) or more subjective choices (favorite older character) that would get a smaller pool, take nominations, and run the whole thing over a matter of a couple months entirely using time limited polls in the bottom section.

It would almost entirely turn into a popularity contest but sometimes that's all people want to participate in.

And it may spurn overall usage of the underused polls section.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I am firmly against a Most Moe contest. Not only have we already had a contest like this, the criteria for comparing the moe level of one character to another is highly subjective, even more so than most. It is bad enough that moe has already infected an overwhelming majority of most mainstream shows, do not also invade my tournament threads please. I am aware that we would have a plethora of new choice, but moe is fetishy, what works really depends on the person. And before you quote me, and blast me for this statement, I am aware that this isn't true for everyone, but for a large portion of otaku moe is something more sinister than just purity, innocence and the desire the protect. I wouldn't go as far as to call it an offshoot of lolicon since that is purely a fetish, and a few slivers of pure protection style moe still exist, but for most moe, there is a more sinister sexual element to it.

If we want to do a tournament like this, I might be able to support a Most Tsundere contest. At least a tsundere has a more defined set of traits than moe, something that often degrades into arguments even when trying to define what it even means. Heck, even a Most Innocent contest would be better, and that would a be a stretch. I think we should aim for a new tournament idea that would hit a bunch of genres and characters that haven't been included before like a Biggest Jerk or Biggest Loser contest.

As for Most Moe being more light-hearted? Don't count on it. I could see how a tournament like could draw some more pathos and emotional driven responses than most since concrete criteria is limited and moe characters do elicit an "I need to be protected" vibe.

Last edited by Olliff on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Olliff has made a number of good points.
Quote:

Heck, even a Most Innocent contest would be better, and that would a be a stretch.

It definitely sounds much better than Most Moe. Something like Most Innocent or maybe Most Kind-hearted/Warm-hearted. It would include a wider range of anime titles than Most Moe. The field would consist of the sweet and pure girls like Rin from Usagi Drop, but also male characters like Takashi Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou, Shouma Takakura from Mawaru Penguindrum and grown up characters like Kotetsu T. Kaburagi from Tiger & Bunny.

Last edited by Aylinn on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:34 am; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Rin from Usagi Drop would do all that well in a Most Kind-hearted/Warm-hearted tournament, but I'm not opposed to the idea per se. In fact, it could be a good tournament, so long as Sanae from Clannad After Story is not in there.

I'll save further arguments for Most/Best Moe for the theme nominations thread, if/when we get to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 38