• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Characters that just don't look their age

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I have noticed, in the few titles I've watched, that sometimes, characters who are said to be one age just don't seem to be drawn that way. One particular example that just stands out is Robin, from Witch Hunter Robin. I went on the U.S. website and it said she was 14, and went Shocked. What other examples are there?
ZeroFrame

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Soujiro Seta and Kenshin from *gasp* Rurouni Kenshin. Kenshin doesn't look 28, obviously. Soujiro is said to be 18 at the time he faces off with Kenshin and spoiler[is defeated with the amakakeru ryu no hirameki].

He well... doesn't look 18, in my opinion. Kenshin was 14 or 15 during the bakumatsu if I recall, and looked more realistic for his age. Mind you though, the animation style of the Rurouni Kenshin series and OVA's are different on a massive scale.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I would have brought up Witch Hunter Robin right away too, but not for Robin, although it would be nice if she had been 16 or 17 (I thought she was 15 in the series).

I thought that Miho Karasuma's age was a bit low for the way she dressed and wore her hair. I think she should have been in her early to mid 20's, like Amon.

But maybe those two, and the rest of the STNJ, were placed in their mid-teens to show that they were still susceptible to being manipulated by those older than them to spoiler[go and hunt their own kind for the purpose of harvesting Orbo]

Also, I thought that Sophia Forrester in Last Exile should have been older than her given age of 19. I'd put her just a year or two under Alex Rowe.
keichi san

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Inuyasha doesn't look 50.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Basically every hot mom or teacher who's suppose to be like 40+.
msi435

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't think shinji, auska, and rei were 14.... I mean the ladies suuurreee didn't look they were 14...

(btw, this will be my last post until Monday, I'm heading out to Anime Boston tomorrow morning... not that it matters or anything, I'm just letting you guys know! Hopefully I will return with much anime and merchandise! See you guys later and please try not to miss me too much Wink !!!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
ZeroFrame: I don't think Kenshin is appropriate for this thread. I figured this thread was for when characters are just drawn oddly for their age. Kenshin actually looks young for his age, as does his master Seijiro Hiko, and this is a running gag in the manga. Case in point, Seijiro from the time of the story looks almost identical to when he first took in Kenshin, when Kenshin was like 5-ish. This is just a joke about how the practitioners of Hiten Mitsurugi don't seem to age at a normal pace.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
I really didn't think shinji, auska, and rei were 14.... I mean the ladies suuurreee didn't look they were 14...

(btw, this will be my last post until Monday, I'm heading out to Anime Boston tomorrow morning... not that it matters or anything, I'm just letting you guys know! Hopefully I will return with much anime and merchandise! See you guys later and please try not to miss me too much Wink !!!)

That is true. NGE is the first anime I saw that used the word "fanservice".

"And what service." Misato Katsuragi on one NGE preview. Wink

Tell us all about what you saw and bought at Anime Boston in the Events section, msi435. I'll be waiting to hear about it.
Killuadl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Tsunade and Jiraiya (both from Naruto) definitely do not look 50.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this is just me, but I honestly think Kenshin thing (and whoever mentioned older women) is due to the fact that...well, asian people just look tend to stay young looking when they're middle aged. Look at all the J-pop-rock-whatever stars who are lightyears older than they look. Take this lovely snapshot of Yoshiki:

That talented man is turning 40 this year. He looks like he's in his mid twenties. This picture was taken summer 2003.

Abliet famous people have their ways of staying beautiful...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
El Oso

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Lets see... Zechs Merquise from Gundam Wing. He doesn't look 19 to me. In fact I don't think any of the Gundam Wing characters look their age...
carnivalcreepa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
Kagome from InuYasha looks to be around 19 to me, although she is only 15.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:06 am Reply with quote
El Oso wrote:
Lets see... Zechs Merquise from Gundam Wing. He doesn't look 19 to me. In fact I don't think any of the Gundam Wing characters look their age...

A good portion of UC/FC/AC/WhateverCentury Gundam's Characters don't look like their age for that matter.
philg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:54 am Reply with quote
It's either Haruka-san from Love Hina.... well the old one who is supposed to look old because she smokes all the time and has a broom in her hand 24/7. I'm not sure if Haruka is the ony with short blonde hair though, at the moment I have a complete mind blank. Well anyway the broom woman who is distantly related to Keitaro does NOT look old! She looks younger than the blonde hair one with the HUGE breats.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:08 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
That talented man is turning 40 this year. He looks like he's in his mid twenties.

I thought that was a middle-aged _woman_

But to go to another extreme, all those flat-chested hentai girls that look suspiciously young for being 18...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4