• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Light ultimately wins spoiler[not because of his intelligence, but a stroke of luck.]

That's an outright lie, and you know it. spoiler[Light knew that Rem was in love with Misa and that she would sacrifice herself to protect Misa from L by killing him. He was counting on Rem to do this. And Rem knew that he knew, but killed L anyway. And Light knew that Rem knew, but both knew that only Light could make Misa happy and therefore Rem couldn't kill him without making her own sacrifice completely impotent and void. Therefore, he was safe from Rem and used Misa as bait so Rem would take down L while giving him an alibi. Oh, and it also meant he got Rem out of the way, as despite her predictability in this sequence she was highly dangerous to Light long-term.]

Besides, the exact manner in which the rivalry is resolved is hardly important compared to what when before.

Perhaps. Which still does not change the fact that spoiler[Light all by himself would not be able to do anything about L and had to resort to someone else killing L in order to beat him.] I guess it is a matter of perception.
Resolution of the rivalry for me is an important part of it, and Basilisk definitely got more points for me here.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Your point?

Obama couldn't kill Osama by himself, that's why he, you know, planned for someone else to do it. spoiler[Just because Light didn't actually 'pull the trigger' does not mean he wasn't responsible for L's death.]

There are many, many reasons why you should vote for the Basilisk rivalry, so there's no need to go out of your way to slander Light and L. You are criticising Death Note when A: your criticisms are flatly wrong, and B: they are neither valid nor important to the issue of the rivalry.

Why have you even brought this up?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
Light ultimately wins spoiler[not because of his intelligence, but a stroke of luck.]

That's an outright lie, and you know it. spoiler[Light knew that Rem was in love with Misa and that she would sacrifice herself to protect Misa from L by killing him. He was counting on Rem to do this. And Rem knew that he knew, but killed L anyway. And Light knew that Rem knew, but both knew that only Light could make Misa happy and therefore Rem couldn't kill him without making her own sacrifice completely impotent and void. Therefore, he was safe from Rem and used Misa as bait so Rem would take down L while giving him an alibi. Oh, and it also meant he got Rem out of the way, as despite her predictability in this sequence she was highly dangerous to Light long-term.]
See, this whole convoluted mess is part of why I can't support them here. spoiler[Why exactly did Rem provide that piece of information to Light in the first place, after outright stating he didn't like Light? And would the situation have played out any differently had Light not known how to kill a shinigami or that Rem was willing to die for Misa?] More than once Light appears to be backed into a corner, and suddenly new rules are introduced which provide him an escape route.

Besides, the exact manner in which the rivalry is resolved is hardly important compared to what when before.
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
My final vote goes to... Light vs. L. No big suprise. I've already mentioned on several occasions i'd pick them as the best rivalry.

Key wrote:
Honestly, though, these two are close enough in relative strength levels that I think voting here largely comes down to a matter of either personal preference.

I can agree with that. To me Light vs. L has more excitement, is far more thought out, and better executed than the Kouga vs. Iga rivalry.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't think neither Light nor L would necessarily be the best of characters on a purely individual level, when compared to both their current competition and past foes throughout the entire tournament, but in the end...I also have to side with those who have already favored this particular Death Note rivalry over the brutal clash between the ninja families of Basilisk.

Voting for: Light vs. L

Yes, the rivalry is certainly quite melodramatic and, at least on paper, full of contrived or implausible circumstances. It is also worth admitting that the story does tend to lose some steam after the main battle of wits has been resolved, which contrasts with the comparatively more central and consistent nature of the Iga vs. Kouga struggle, but...Light and L were almost evenly matched in terms of intelligence and this basic similarity made their conflict all the more thrilling to experience. While it lasted, the rivalry essentially served as the single biggest reason to keep up with their respective show, to such a degree that I've only rarely experienced something similar (and even then, not always with optimal results). I would not consider it flawless, to be quite honest, but I can't see myself voting otherwise at the moment.

The Basilisk alternative deserved to make it here, such as things are, but its relative predictability also placed an upper limit on my excitement, even as it also ironically enhanced its sense of tragedy. Granted, I might well have reconsidered my vote if they were facing a different kind of opposition.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Finals
Light Yagami vs. L, Death Note
vs.
Kouga vs. Iga clans, Basilisk

After watching clips for both matches, the Death Note impressed me the most. They somehow managed to make the battle of wits/minds/intelligence between these two cool. The traps/counter traps/feints that they employ are clever. On one side, you have a detective with sharp intuition and instinct, and the another, a killer genius. The mind-based battle between these two is a nice change from other physical-based battles.

My vote goes to: Light Yagami vs. L.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
The Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament has now concluded.

The winner, by an 8-6 margin:

The Basilisk rivalry looked for a while like it might pull off the upset, but a final run of four straight votes sealed the deal for the DN rivals. The outcome was in doubt down to the final vote, though, which is as it should be.

And so this latest endeavor is over. Whether or not there will even be another one is up in the air at this point, as the consistently low vote totals (they topped 20 only once and averaged in the 15-16 range for the whole tournament) suggests to me a waning interest beyond a few hard-core regulars. I might be up for running one more if there's enough interest and a topic worth doing - and that would mean coming up something that would bring in characters beyond those we see popping up every single tournament. I won't even think about getting any formal procedure going until at least late December, but feel free to use this thread to express interest (or lack thereof) in another tourney and what you might like to see done that would be feasible and interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Hell ya, L vs Light won!!! I thought they were gonna lose for awhile there. Im glad the Basilisk rivalry got so much support tho, especially since Death Note has already won at least 1 other tourney.

A rivalry I totally forgot about until a week ago and wish I had nominated is Battler vs. Beatrice from Umineko no Naku Koro ni. It's actually quite a strong and intense rivalry, I think it could've won at least 2 if not 3 rounds. Much better than OHSHC vs. Zuka Club rivalry anyway Anime hyper

I'd be extremely interested in another tournament, and I agree that it should wait awhile. Let everyone recharge so we'll be ready when the next one comes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
Good game Basilisk, good game. You were worthy adversaries.

reckon we should wait to February before starting the next tournament (assuming there is enough support for another). Christmas and New Year's is just going to get in the way, and I think a two or three month break will do us some good. Recharge, refresh, that sort of thing.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I won't even think about getting any formal procedure going until at least late December, but feel free to use this thread to express interest (or lack thereof) in another tourney and what you might like to see done that would be feasible and interesting.

Still would be itching to take part in another tournament. As for possible ideas, might try going for something individual-based since we've just done a tournament of pairings/ groups. As for possible ideas:
-Best Leader
-Best Comedy Relief
-Best Old Character
-Most Inspirational Character

As for my thoughts overall of this tournament, I'm honestly surprised at how well I did for the mini-game, though I admit to have overestimated and underestimated some rivalries due to lack of familiarity with specific rivalries (Saya/ Diva and Hikaru/ Akira being big examples respectively) or giving them too little or too much credit. Compared to earlier tournaments, I was quite familiar with many of the rivalries involved for this tournament which I think helped better my chances in the mini-game this time around as I could argue better for specific characters that I wanted to support. After having watched some other anime titles, I would have considered adding Hajiki Sanada vs Katana from Gad Guard to the tourney. With the rivalry as driven as it was, it could have held up for a couple rounds.

Otherwise, look forward to the next tournament if we have one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
Final Bracket is posted at: http://homepage.mac.com/unirizer/rivals/index.html

Hope to have the final Mini-game scores posted soon.
mow123

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And so this latest endeavor is over. Whether or not there will even be another one is up in the air at this point, as the consistently low vote totals (they topped 20 only once and averaged in the 15-16 range for the whole tournament) suggests to me a waning interest beyond a few hard-core regulars. I might be up for running one more if there's enough interest and a topic worth doing - and that would mean coming up something that would bring in characters beyond those we see popping up every single tournament. I won't even think about getting any formal procedure going until at least late December, but feel free to use this thread to express interest (or lack thereof) in another tourney and what you might like to see done that would be feasible and interesting.

I assure you it is only waning interest in the topic chosen. Too many of the small old anime characters participated and the only real option that could dethroned L vs Light didn't make it to the finals. While there were certainly exceptions I don't believe this topic encouraged as much discussion. I personally found it more difficult to judge which rivalry was better a number of time, and even for these tournaments the criteria was nebulous at best. I was also very disappointed to see a tendency to favor the melodramatic and extreme over the complex, subtle, and more versatile rivalries. Overall, I think that's really what this tournament lacked versatility, variety, and a solid understanding of how to judge the rivalries.

I for one am also itching for another tournament and Ggultra2764 has already thrown out a number of good ideas. Not so sure about best leader but it is markedly different than Most Intelligent but close enough to invite back to some of the sweet 16. All this talk about merits and success even when the criteria doesn't call for it, wants me to shoot for a Most Accomplished or Most Successful contest. And before you say this Most Intelligent all over again, how successful were Light, Lelouch or Johan? They do have one thing in common they all end up spoiler[ dead ]. That's about as far as way from success as you can get. And don't get me started on the Lelouch wagon thing or the ambiguous ending in Monster. That was just to pull people's leg and inspire doubt and that's all. Also I thing awarding successes and penalizing failures would lead to a concrete evaluation criteria. Also now that you think about how many of even the successful characters in anime do not have any failures? Failure builds character even among the best, brightest and most accomplished.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Even if a character ends up spoiler[dead], it doesn't mean she or he was unaccomplished. Reinhard von Lohengramm is a case in point.

Most Inspirational Character sounds interesting, but I'm afraid that the winner is too easy to guess - Princess Tutu.

My proposition:
Best Developed Character
I can think of some well-developed characters that should do well in this one, but were not very successful in the previous tournaments or were not in any past tournaments: Ringo Oginome from Mawaru Penguindrum, Takashi Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou, Holo from Spice and Wolf, Youko from the Twelve Kingdoms, Yaichi from House of Five Leaves, Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena, Takumi from Nana etc.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I've mentioned it before with only partial enthusiasm but as I've thought about it the more I really think Most Precocious would be a good category. There are so many types of precocious children characters that could be considered. The child genius, the heroes of the card/monster genre, sexually precocious, kid assassins, pint-sized adventurer, young savants and young over-achievers of many kinds. It's a way to have a kid tournament that still has a discernible quality to judge between different contestants.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Final minigame results.

This time around, we had the highest accuracy for the ultimate winner of any of the tournaments, although we just narrowly missed having none. The winning score ended up at 191 points, a little below average; but on the whole, accuracy was a little above average.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 38