• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Who likes Sailor Moon?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce_wayne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
I do, I wish they would put it back on the air
msi435

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Ya, I like sailor moon too! I really didn't get a chance to see a lot of it when it was on toonami back in the day but from what i did see it was awesome! Like most people i would just wait for DBZ to come on so sailor moon was expendable.

Oh and Welcome to the ANN forums Bruce_wayne!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
akito hayama

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I think it was back in Grade 9(1995ish), I remember seeing Sailor Moon for the first time. It got all my friends into anime. Some say it was one the first anime to become mainstream in North America on the same lines as DragonBall. It also appealed to both genders. Who doesn't remembering dressing up as Tuxedo Mask for Hallowe'en.
It's Debateable

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
It was probably the first anime series I watched, and I still consider it to be complete garbage.
msi435

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
akito hayama wrote:
Who doesn't remembering dressing up as Tuxedo Mask for Hallowe'en.

Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't care too much about Sailor Moon, but Sailor Jupiter... Razz The first time I got to see Sailor Moon was on DIC's VHS verison of it, and I didn't really like it, but I finally got out in the world and caught it on cable, I did, to a point, enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Man, how shall I begin this Question

I remember about ten years ago back when they still did shows like Blinky Bill and Bruno the Kid on WPIX in NY, and they showed the Sailor Moon dub(sometimes at either 6/6:30). I thought of it as being a complete "girly" show and tried not to watch it, after all I was a high schooler at the time and a guy. But a strange thing happened: as the days passed I watched it more and more, probably because they showed a lot of what I loved at that time: demonic creatures (sorta) and a interesting storyline. It was a guilty pleasure of mine in the mornings to watch, and it because worse when TOONAMI picked it up. Personally, I thought Serena's (*ducks projectiles for using American names*) VA'ing was ear-gratingly painful, the show's editing ranged from annoying to comical ("Hey, Sailor Pluto and Uranus are pretty close...waitaminute Shocked"), and I would always wonder during the transformation scenes why the bad guy couldn't do his misdeed, buy a soda, eat a sandwich, read a newspaper, and then just escape. Yet, I remember missing basketball games with my friends in order to watch the show and as more seasons were picked up, so did my viewing of the show. When they showed the Lunar Eclipse (a marathon of SM eps. from 12-7 pm on CN) back in 1998 I think I taped like every episode. This obsession didn't end until five years ago when TOONAMI finally stopped airing the show...then they went with the movies, which I have not watched at all. I had the fortune of seeing a couple of the subs in 1999 and yeah the edits were horrible but hey, it was a different era of editing back when.

Outside of Dragon Ball Z and stuff on The SciFi Channel there wasn't much option for Japanese anime on TV in the mid-90's. So even though the dub wasn't exactly that good it was a necessary gateway Japanese anime that produced many new fans. And in the end, isn't that what counts? To paraphrase a quote "How one arrives at a point isn't important, it's what you do when you get there that is." Looking back, I don't think I ever publicly admitted liking it, so I'm doing it now.
Mint202

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
hey i love sailor moon my sister got the japanses one for her brithday. my favorit is Jupiter whos yours?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, that won't happen any time soon or in the future. Toei allowed all licenses for Sailor Moon to expire and probably wouldn't let anybody relicense it. My guess is that Toei wants to release Sailor Moon themselves here in the US with their substandard DVD releases like they've been doing to Airmaster and Interlude.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
deathbringer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
My guess is that Toei wants to release Sailor Moon themselves here in the US with their substandard DVD releases like they've been doing to Airmaster and Interlude.

Well it's not like ADV did a fantastic job on the first two seasons. I'd like to see someone else give it a go. And the R2 Sailor Moon DVDs aren't bad.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Well ADV could only make do with what they had.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Mint202 wrote:
hey i love sailor moon my sister got the japanses one for her brithday. my favorit is Jupiter whos yours?

Wow, that's a toughie. Even though I really liked Serena's struggle from being a valley-ish klutz to a take-charge leader in the dub, I suppose I didn't have a favorite. To me, everyone had their good qualities. However, I know my older sister's fave was Jupiter because she wasn't afraid to lay the smackdown if someone crossed her Wink.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I confess, I do. . .I watched it back in '95 as well, and it was the first thing that I saw while knowing it was anime. Lol, my younger brother and sister had to explain to me that it was originally from comic books. Actually, SM is responsible for making me into the hardcore anime freak I am today--after borrowing the movies from my sister in 2003, I started buying up the dub DVDs of the first 2 seasons, to recapture the Cartoon Network memories. Of course, I later wised up and bought S, Super S, and the subtitled 1st 2 seasons. It was a happy convergence of a rekindled interest in Sailor Moon and enough money to afford significant amounts of anime.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:

Well it's not like ADV did a fantastic job on the first two seasons. I'd like to see someone else give it a go. And the R2 Sailor Moon DVDs aren't bad.

Like kusanagi-sama said, they had to do with what they could get that had not already been chopped up to hell. (ie, 10 year old, degraded Toei TV masters.)
ChibiNeko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I like sailor moon i watched it when i was really little to! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2