• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Toonami Premiere Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
IanC wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:
I don't think most people feel that the voices are the problem.

Ohh yeah, its the editing. Like yesterdays ep, the cookies where obviously something else originally (what though?)

Rice balls.

This hardly is anything to be concerned about.They were called donuts in Pokemon.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Of course, hearing "Donut, go!" just made it all worthwhile. Laughing

Some people need to lighten up about their television.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:11 am Reply with quote
FYI, ladies and gents, the change from "Zoro" to "Zolo" wasn't made to kiss up to 4Kids.

Did it ever occur to any of you dimwits still complaining about it that "Lupin Syndrome" had a part to play in this?

Zorro...was one of my favorite TV shows when Disney Channel aired the old reruns. Almost reminiscent of shonen manga in and of itself, the series was based on an old series of novels featuring the masked hero (which, ironically, were written by an American).

It helps that "Zorro" is Spanish for "fox".

But anyway, you might remember that America was denied "Lupin the 3rd" for years, or at the very least the "Lupin" name, because Monkey Punch's original manga was inspired by the fictional exploits of Arsene Lupin, a gentleman thief who also originated in novels. It's the same reason why the Hayao Miyazaki-inspired "Great Detective Holmes" series became "Sherlock Hound"; because the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had a problem with the use of the name.

In brief: which would you prefer? Keep "Zoro" and have the whole matter tangled up in legal rights proceedings for years? Or fudge a single letter and keep One Piece coming?

4Kids licensing One Piece was a death knell for the hope that the U.S. would get a legitimate uncut release. Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King, whatever language 4Kids might use, are cancelled. They are dead, and the U.S. will never see another uncut DVD unless 4Kids relinquishes the rights to another company altogether. In all likelihood, this also means that any hope of seeing One Piece uncut is either gone as well, or will be short-lived: America will see no more than 3 discs released before 4Kids pulls the plug.

...And it's not like the uncut material would even be that palatable once 4Kids is done. Their unskippable commercials for completely unrelated merchandise, crappy scriptwriting and even crappier voice work make even the quality of Sega's typical U.S. release look like Atlus's best...

In short: if you must gripe, gripe for the right reasons. Otherwise, you only make us legit fans who hate how 4Kids keeps giving us the finger look like a bunch of foaming morons.
All Arrembaggio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It is no longer the One Piece that all the original fans fell in love with.

If it weren't for the fansubbers, a majority of the people who don't have comic book stores near them, or can't buy stuff online wouldn't even know what One Piece is. Maybe you should try to accept change. Sure it's not as good as it was originally, but at least it will get more publicity. I do want some One Piece merchandise, myself.

Quote:
It has become defield, and when i heard that the ratings are slightly getting better myy heart mereley sinks at the thought that this travesty is gonna continue.

So the ratings are good, what's your point? Would you rather it be taken off the air, only to later lose the fansubs to 4kid's legal department? Even if it stops being produced, by then a large margin of the episodes would still be licensed. Just because the show is off the air doesn't make it so the license is void. Be thankful you still have the subs, and quit complaining about how bad the dub is since you have other options available.

Quote:
I understand it was originally a show meant for kids, but whne it was licensed by the wrong people. Why do you think Others are still making Fansubs and completely ingoring the Licensing of it.

Why do I think? Go ask the subbers. It's illegal, of course, so if they know what's good for them, they should stop subbing. When the uncut DVDs come out, then 4kids will be losing money thanks to pirates (no pun intended). Then they'll stop producing the uncut DVDs, just because you wouldn't support the dub and the show was licensed by *gasp* 4KIDS (I'm aware Funimation is doing the uncut DVDs if they come out)! That means legit anime watchers won't get their fix without getting in legal trouble.

Quote:
I kinda understand the whole lollipop thing but I still hate it, but you must ask yourself if they did that for Sanji what will happen when Captain Smoker is debuted, or will they completely edit him out of the show.

Maybe they'll replace Smoker's cigars with Smoked Jerky Razz Even a loyal dub fan can poke fun at a show, I just hate it when people act like it's the end of the world because this or that was licensed.

Quote:
Anyways, 4KIDS completely allienated the Original Western fanbase of the show and I can only hope little kids won't get pulled into the hype.

Alienated them? Then they can buy the manga, or beg their parents to buy it online. Sure, there's still the Zolo problem, but guess what? R is interchangable with L in Japan. It doesn't matter that it was originally meant to be R, like it was said before, it was most likely done to avoid a lawsuit. Other examples of name changes, although not legal issues, include the Zora, which was called Zola in the first Zelda for the Nintendo Entertainment System, as well as Ren from Shaman King being changed to Lenny in the dub.

Oh it could have been alot worse too (It's one letter, not a total name change like Ren to Lenny). They could have changed Sanji's name to Sunkist (guess where that's from Surprised) or Sandy (French name, and it's mainly a girl's name last time I checked), Usopp to Pipo (French name), Nami to Isabelle (Made it up, but I could see them Americanizing the names), Luffy to Rubber (Italian name, and it's the worst out of them, right up there with Sandy) etc..

Oh and in France and Germany, Zoro's name is spelled Zorro! Oh the irony Anime hyper

Little kids are very impressionable, hence the removing of guns and cigarettes. Swords aren't as readily available, that's why they weren't edited out. You don't see dad carrying around a sword for safety, do you?
Shorty22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
This hardly is anything to be concerned about.They were called donuts in Pokemon.

Joe Mello wrote:
Of course, hearing "Donut, go!" just made it all worthwhile.

Ha, I remember that scene... but Pokemon also did actually refer to them as riceballs a few times... like when Brock was giving us a mini-tutorial about making them. "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade... when life gives you rice, then you make RICE BALLS! *pose*"

Megaman NT Warrior had Lan call riceballs cupcakes. It made me laugh a bit... the renaming of riceballs has seemingly become a kinda weird inside joke. Wink

All Arrembaggio wrote:
Oh it could have been alot worse too (It's one letter, not a total name change like Ren to Lenny).

Uh, it was mainly changed from Ren to Len. I know there were a few 'Lenny's in the beginning, but I don't recall having heard once since. Unless I've blocked it out, but I'd hope I was more observant than that. Confused And even if it was still Lenny, I'd hardly consider that a total name change... they switched a letter and made it sound younger, like Tom to Tommy.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Learn Japanese then Just buy The R2s Like I have. 4Kids will not get any ratings bost from me ever.

You've got to be kidding me.

Real imported Japanese DVDs are $37 at least each and have 3 episodes.

If you've really bought all these DVDs, you've spent well over $2000...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
4Kids will not get any ratings boost from me ever.

Of course they won't. In order to actually give them a boost, you need a set-top box. Not to mention that one house does not a ratings boost make.

Now why can't you people sit down and take your medicine like everybody else?
Laruto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Advent_Nebula wrote:
4Kids will not get any ratings boost from me ever.

Of course they won't. In order to actually give them a boost, you need a set-top box. Not to mention that one house does not a ratings boost make.

Now why can't you people sit down and take your medicine like everybody else?

i take my Medicine every SAT on 4KIDS TV, and it taste good Wink
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
(Coming from a mile away)

Does it taste like Strawberry? *ducks*

Like I said earlier:
Quote:
Laruto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:27 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
(Coming from a mile away)

Does it taste like Strawberry? *ducks*

Like I said earlier:
Quote:

No even better! Very Happy

But you see thats the difference with me and many fans of anime I don't care if the series is done different I still enjoy it because its still the series that I like and its fun to see what they take out and change. Some people aren't even fans of the show they just hear that 4kids licenses it and go download a few eps, read up about the series and then sart complianing about how they love the series and that 4kids is evil just to add to rants. I love One Piece and nothing gonna change that period. i've also noticed that no one really talked about one piece as much as there doing now before 4kids got it and no one cared I wonder why? Oh yes some people just have blood in there eyes!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3