• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the Shell RPG

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slipstream

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:39 am Reply with quote
Many of you probably don't care and I am not even sure if this is the correct location for such a post, but I have been doing research for a Ghost in the Shell Role Playing Game utilizing material from the comics, SAC, and the movies. I am currently trying to gain permission to create it as a free downloadable RPG
(like the others from my site). However, I am having a douce of a time trying to find out who owns the rights to the franchise. My connections in the game industry pointed me in the right direction but found myself deflected a few times. It would seem obvious that it would be Shirow Masamune but it ends up being a tad bit more difficult than that. Why? Cause evidence also points that IG or Manga may need to be approached as well. Any help from ayone out there? I already got permission to use the Action System to develop it...now I need Franchise Permission. I know many people do their own projects on the web without permission but I try to avoid that whenever possible.

In case anyone is curious, I also designed the Alien-FUZION game and the GITS game in progress as well as the others I designed are sitting at www.serenadawn.com
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Try Manga. Shiro wouldn't handle this stuff himself so you wouldn't get anwyere trying to contact him. Since Manga has the domestic rights the anime they'd likely be the ones with the ability to grant you license to distribute your RPG. If they can't then they should be capable of telling you who can. You can contact them right through their website.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Slipstream

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that was my initial guess as well. I sent them an e-mail. Still waiting...
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quote
You can actually play a Ghost in the Shell-like RPG experience using the new d20 Modern sourcebook that just came out, d20 Future:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/d20m/885970000

This book has rules on playing Mecha, Robotic, and Cybernetic characters.

(The Weapons Locker sourcebook might also help if you need to have real-world firearms integrated into a campaign: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/d20m/881570000)
Slipstream

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:18 am Reply with quote
The problem is, as I have encountered with Cyberpunk 2020, GITS has some truly unique aspects requiring a new approach. Also...After discussing it with friends, we decided that D20 is the wrong system to approach for Ghost in the Shell...

"We're crack elite members of section 9 and BOY can we not do anything cause we're level one!" Smile
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
What System Are you going with. May i Make a suggestion if you dont have the base system yet. The Spycraft Engin might be just what you need.
Slipstream

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Spycraft IS D20. Spycraft licensed the Wizard system...technically, there really isn't a Spycraft system. They took the Players Handbook and added to it. Remember, currently, this game is free. For someone to play it, then, they would require owning D20s Players Handbook (or the SRD) as well as Spycraft. Plus, like I mentioned, I don't belive D20 is the right system to go with this. I will admit its the popular choice, but I would not be able to create it realistically unless unless I totally did away with the level - based systme which is what D20 is all about. Using a system like Cyberpunk 2020 is the best. Fuzion is too simplified (I found that out the hard way with Alien-FUZION) but Action is related and much more in-depth...Plus I have been talking to the creator or Action and the President of GRG, soooo....
Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I would love to play a gits rpg. Hopefully you can make it. I hope that it is so awesome for a downloadable rpg
Slipstream

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, if anyone is aware of the games I did in the past, I am a little bit of an obsessive compulsive--a bit of a perfectionist. Alien -FUZION is like, over 200 pages long. My original game, Amethyst pushed past 300 pages...mostly fluff. Checking out my page will show its work in progress. Since I don't make any money out of it, I go at a pace I can handle and still maintain my "day job." Thanks for the shot in confidence...
Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:56 pm Reply with quote
well good luck then buddy. Maybe if people like it alot then you can sell it Very Happy I await to see your product....I think being a perfectionist is good in cases like this Smile
Slipstream

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote
Well, I almost sold Alien-FUZION...but Franchise costs got in the way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1