• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster, the motion picture

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
So this going to be a live-action adaption by Hollywood?
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote
dont really see how it would work there just so much going on in that sereis to cut it into a 2 or even 3 hour movie. The anime alone is scheduled for 72 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
don't really see how it would work there just so much going on in that sereis to cut it into a 2 or even 3 hour movie. The anime alone is scheduled for 72 episodes.

That doesn't mean they can't make it into a trilogy with the first two movie having openning ending.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:49 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
cyrax777 wrote:
don't really see how it would work there just so much going on in that sereis to cut it into a 2 or even 3 hour movie. The anime alone is scheduled for 72 episodes.

That doesn't mean they can't make it into a trilogy with the first two movie having openning ending.

That's a nice thought - but it's not how Hollywood works. What will happen is that the film will get made, but with some changes:

1) The main character will be an American, not a Japanese. He may or may not be played by Richard Gere. Rolling Eyes

2) The complex plot will be simplified, and at least one gratuitous car-chase will be inserted. The duration of the film will be standard, about 100-120 minutes.

3) The resulting movie will be so mutilated, and so different from the manga/anime, that fans will disown it. Nevertheless, it will have been reduced so effectively to the lowest common denominator that it will be at least a modest success with the general public (who don't know the manga from their left armpit).

4) At least one follow-up film will be made ("Monster 2"), with only a superficial relation to the original story.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tasha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:13 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

That's a nice thought - but it's not how Hollywood works. What will happen is that the film will get made, but with some changes:

1) The main character will be an American, not a Japanese. He may or may not be played by Richard Gere. Rolling Eyes

- abunai

Or Harrison Ford. Rolling Eyes This is sad news, indeed.
Killer 7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:14 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

If so would that also include his gerbil? Razz
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
well, i'm not pleased to hear that Monster is going Hollywood. Monster is brilliant and should be known by the anime here in the states, not some condensed movie trilogy or something.

And even if it will be americanized and aimed at demographics and dollars, Monster would work so much better as a live action TV series (with a single storyline like 24).

What bothers me is if Newline controls the rights to Monster as a movie, will they control the rights to the anime? I really hope they don't change the names and settings in the anime to fit the movie. That would suck.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:24 pm Reply with quote
With 72episode of monster, how would that break down in term of big arc or season? Would the first 33 episode be group together?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I have very mixed feeling about how this could end up, I mean I am addicted to the series right now. I come home from school or work and the first I check when I get online is there a new monster ep. Back to the movie very concerned on how with such a small amount of time to cover such a huge series, I fear most of the side story akaspoiler[Tenma and Nina learning to use guns, eps 40-43, and there are plenty more] will be cut out of the show.
And for myself the suspense (SP?) and the interaction of all these character is what makes the show for me. What seems like a stand alone ep normally turns into something so much bigger down the road, and generally has good shock value.
Someone said how a 24 style show would be a good idea for this series, and I guess I could see it happened but I rather not, Monster takes place over a long period of time and the 24 style of show doesn't fit the mold for me.
SO does this movie then take the place of anime for the american viewers? I think that if the movie doesn't pull in money the series might never make it state side, and that would be a crime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1