• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai X Box set or the Director's cut versions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryusaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Whitch would be better to get. . . I'm have it a hard time desideing... for one they say the rerelese box set has a ton of extras and better sound .. the Director's cuts just have a few extra scenes..but I truly can't say..also..the prices or some what the same...on which place you buy them from..buy really I don't know..and I don't whanna both cause thats stupid...
So...What should I buy?
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
The boxed set (which I own) lies. You do NOT get better sound. The audio is NOT in 5.1, but in stereo. THis is a misprint that ADV failed to correct and has refused to correct after the error was discovered.

However, I'd still suggest the boxed set. It has reversable covers (so I can have it read "Ruroni Kensin" instead of it's bastardized name "Samurai X" [where the heck did they get that name? other than kenshin's x-shaped scar]), and let's face it: I'm a sucker for boxed sets. I also THINK (not sure at all) it has all the scenes that the director's cut versions have, but I could very well be wrong.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Check this thread. Questions asking about the differences between the Tsuioku-hen OAV and Director's Cut are somewhat frequent around here.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
The boxed set (which I own) lies. You do NOT get better sound. The audio is NOT in 5.1, but in stereo. THis is a misprint that ADV failed to correct and has refused to correct after the error was discovered.

However, I'd still suggest the boxed set. It has reversable covers (so I can have it read "Ruroni Kensin" instead of it's bastardized name "Samurai X" [where the heck did they get that name? other than kenshin's x-shaped scar]), and let's face it: I'm a sucker for boxed sets. I also THINK (not sure at all) it has all the scenes that the director's cut versions have, but I could very well be wrong.

They upgrade the engilsh audio from 2.0 to 5.1. It's only 2.0 stereo for the japanese audio track. Both track are excellent, either way.

And I believe the name Samurai X was use because of licensing agreement. I don't mind the name, I don't know why bastardly kenshin fan are so anal about a title change.

Samurai X Collection: 3 DVD (Trust, Betrayal, Reflection. 5.1 audio.)

Director's cut: 1 DVD (trust and betrayal are comebine to make you think it's a movie). Top and bottom of video were crop to present it in widescreen (not an edit as the original japanese version was done the same way).
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:21 am Reply with quote
Well ok...Now I'll confess I have already bought the Director's Cut of Refection so yeah...whatever...from what people tell me this director's cut is much easyer to follow... and the only problems i have with it is how they sum up the Jinuchi Arc like that...and of course how it end...I really knda see any other way though.. not I dunno it I should just buy the D.C. of Trust and Betryal ...oh by the way do they really add any footage in it or is it just edited into a film and some off audio and music has been droped....
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
The only footage they add in Tsuioku-hen is an extra few seconds of a fight scene (I think, but I don't remember where), and they cut out the music when:

spoiler[ Kenshin kills Tomoe's fiance.]

Which in my opinion is a terrible thing since the musical score goes SO well with the story and animation. It was a real shame they had to cut it out, especially at such a dramatic part.

The Director's Cut also has a messed up widescreen format. Originally, Tsuioku-hen was presented in fullscreen, but the Director's Cut merges all four episodes together and also crops off the top and bottom parts of the screen to make it feel more like a movie.

It looks really strange because if you've seen the original OAV, you'll notice they actually cut out some of the picture in the Director's Cut (pun intended) instead of just adjusting it to widescreen while keeping the rest of the film intact.

Not to mention that since every episode originally had ending credits and music, they now have some really strange transitions when going from one episode to the next, which in my opinion doesn't even give you any time to absorb what just happend in the 30 minutes you previously watched.

To be blunt, don't buy the Director's Cut. The only extra you'll get is that extra few seconds of footage. And after that, the rest of the "additions" are really more like losses. You get what you pay for.. (which explains why it's cheaper Razz).

darkhunter wrote:
They upgrade the engilsh audio from 2.0 to 5.1. It's only 2.0 stereo for the japanese audio track. Both track are excellent, either way.

The dub is bad, in my opinion, bad casting, flat performances, a few dialogue changes, and of course, lots of mispronunciations. And the only thing the 5.1 adds is the fact that I can now hear it in 5 speakers.

darkhunter wrote:
And I believe the name Samurai X was use because of licensing agreement. I don't mind the name, I don't know why bastardly kenshin fan are so anal about a title change.

They had a choice. They could either keep Rurouni Kenshin and take the risk of people not knowing what the heck a Rurouni Kenshin is, or take something "hip and cool" like "Samurai X" to trick more people into buying the title.

I hate the name because one, he's not a samurai, which totally contradicts his role and purpose since he's fighting against the Shogunate, and two it personally sounds corny to me. I think the back of the case says something like "join Samurai X, Rurouni Kenshin as he.. (blah, blah, blah)". It's like saying "Samurai X" is his new title now and that his name is Rurouni Kenshin. At least they come with reversible covers, though..

And I'm sure if the name of your favorite anime was changed to something totally contradicting to its nature or to something with a cheesy replacement meaning, you'd probably complain about it too.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
So...really the box set with trust and betryal is best...is that truly what you guys are saying?... oh and with the D.C. of Refection ..i think ADV knew they couldn't mess it up thats why it was done much better..well in my saying anyway..
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you should get the box set, at least in my opinion. Aside from paying less money for the Director's Cut, you don't really gain much, yet still lose a lot in terms of the technical aspects.

I don't care for Seisouhen since I didn't like it anyway. Buying the DC for that is your own choice, but personally I wouldn't waste money on it and would just keep the first one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1