• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost In The Shell 2: Ionnence

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I saw Ghost In The Shell 2 Ionnence. I was a relly good movie. Was the first one as good as this? The CG was good too. What happend to the major? How did she disupear?
No_Name

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
You'd do yourself a favor if you get the first movie.

It's not as visually stuning as Innocence but for it's time it was top notch.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Twilight Dragon wrote:
What happend to the major? How did she disupear?

spoiler[She went back out into the Net.

At the end of the first movie, the Kusanagi / Project 2901 being walks out of Batou's secret hideout and begins her journeys into the Net. At this point, she still has a physical form (she's still has her human brain).

By the time Innocence takes place, many years after the first movie, the being has moved beyond its physical limits and has become all energy, all programming.

Her conscioiusness was watching over Batou the whole time, and reveals itself when he infiltrates the robot factory -- by inhabiting one of the robots. It's not completely her, though -- she only has enough space in the robot's memory core to download "basic" personality. She still had enough of herself in this form to use the Project 2901 powers to infiltrate and destroy the security center.

Once the truth was revealed and Batou was safe, she withdrew back into the Net.

(It's my opinion that she is protecting Batou and waiting for the point when he can also move beyond his physical form and be with her in the Net eventually. This view also supports the reasoning behind all the high-handed text quoting -- Batou is simply trying to understand the meaning of existence so that he can eventually be ready to rise above it.)

]
Dagwood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
Not that it matters all that much, but I believe it's project 2501 Wink.

Twilight Dragon, you'll thank yourself after getting/watching GitS 1. It's worth every [your lowest denomination of currency].

*Idea hey, this is my 100th post Very Happy!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
No_Name wrote:
It's not as visually stuning as Innocence but for its time it was top notch.

Eh, I disagree with this, actually. I'm probably the only person in the world who will say this, but I thought the aesthetics of the first GITS movie were much more impressive than they were in Innocence. I mean, sure, Innocence had lots of pretty CG in it, but the actual 2D animation of the characters' movements was better in the first movie, and the 2D and 3D animation blended together more successfully (due to the fact that the 3D wasn't completely overused!). The visuals of Innocence were like a pancake overdrenched with maple syrup: too much sweet and not enough sustenance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
So if i get/ rent the first movie, it should explain more. Ok, I think i am gon to rent it. What about Stand alone Complex? The major is still there Confused .
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I could be wrong about this but I read somewhere that GiTS: SAC follows the manga more closely.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
GitS:SAC is separate from the movies. It was never ment to fit with them. Look at SAC as if the movies never happend.

In terms of characters, the Major is still there. What's different? The Major isn't as much of a main character, like she is in the 1st movie. The show is able to go more in depth with the different characters, and expand more on the world of GitS.

Last edited by Dagwood on Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tequila

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:22 am Reply with quote
Cetus-kun wrote:
I could be wrong about this but I read somewhere that GiTS: SAC follows the manga more closely.

Just the first movie and parts of the second movie follow the manga. The SAC episodes are original stories. Some of them written by M. Shirow himself, e.g the episode where an engineer locks his self to his tank.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Tequila wrote:
Just the first movie and parts of the second movie follow the manga. The SAC episodes are original stories. Some of them written by M. Shirow himself, e.g the episode where an engineer locks his self to his tank.

That said, many people assert that SAC, while not following the plot of the manga, still more accurately captures the tone and feeling of the original stories than the movies do. My favorite part of the GITS franchise is still the first movie, though. It's one of my favorite films of all time, even after the seven years since I first experienced it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Dagwood wrote:
Not that it matters all that much, but I believe it's project 2501 Wink.

Augh! Why did I put 2901 down?!

:hangme:

Thanks, Dagwood. Razz
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Ok this is gettng relly clear here. So, SAC folowes the comics more then the movies fowel the show? Confused Wow this is confusing alittle. Thanks for all your replies, Keep thpoasts cooming if ya have mor info!!!

Thanks again

Twilight Dragon
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Twilight Dragon wrote:
Ok this is gettng relly clear here. So, SAC folowes the comics more then the movies fowel the show? Confused Wow this is confusing alittle.

^^; It's not, really. I promise. OK. The movies follow the comics more closely. SAC is made up of original (brand new) stories. However, the tone of SAC more closely resembles the comics than the movies. I apologize if I wasn't clear earlier.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
So here's a question. If the events of GITS:SAC are all prequels to the first movie, when does SAC take place in relation to the first movie. A year? two years? a decade? Since cyborgs don't age it's a little hard to tell. Togusa doesn't seem to age very much, or maybe that's just the result of advanced age-defying therapy.
Delfino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I believe the SAC world is supposed to be parallel to the first movie and not being a true sequel to the movie (as in the actions in SAC don't really affect the world of the movie). So if Togusa looks older in the movie then in SAC, it's just due to character design differences, and not an age difference. Also, if the time frame that SAC runs through is a bit earlier then the movie, I don't believe the character design was meant to show a younger/older version of the characters between the movie and SAC. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2