• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic Letdown?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baka...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I just bought this series for a obscene amount of money and really i dont see what the rage is all about. I do know it has some really really good Mecha scenes, but what about everything else aside from the whole Lambda Driver gig. In the end it just looks like a Run of the Mill Mecha Anime. Anyone Care to explain its good points?
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I find the series more about the chariters and fanservice.
Baka...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Welll theres not really all that much character development. Such as Mr. Sagara is just a military stiff and Mrs. Chidori is just a run of the mill anime girl With some special power.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The Manga goes deaper into this, ofcores it is still running in Japan. Season two is out in may and it is the High School Arc. Second Operations is out in Japan this summer and all the questions asked in season one will be answered acording to the creators.
NeoEllis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I agree, Baka..., Full Metal Panic was seriously one of the most over-rated anime in resent memory.
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, FMP is at it's best not when centered on the mechas, but when focused on the relationship between Sagara and Chidori.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Hate to be the bearer of more bad news for you but you could have saved a bunch by buying the Complete Collection when ADV releases it on April 19. I found it for $53 and preordered it.
qollocust

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
In my opinion, FMP is at it's best not when centered on the mechas, but when focused on the relationship between Sagara and Chidori.

Totally agree. The character relationships was the reason I got into the anime in the first place. I also think the anime started off incredibley well and then just went down hill. Fumoffu(sp?) is good though.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I disagree. FMP was one of my favorite series from the past few years. I'll probably be getting the brick when it comes out.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the first eight episodes thus far, but just from that, it's an Excellent comedy. I liked seeing the relationship grow between Kaname and Sousuke. It was very funny, though still kind of cute in its own innocent way. And the fact that they're voiced by two of my favorite seiyuu also really helps. I'm anxious to see the rest of it soon and hope the upcoming "Second Raid" will be good as well (with the supposedly more serious nature that's being rumored).
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:05 am Reply with quote
Full Metal Panic! is one of my all-time favorite series. It used to be my #1 favorite series, but then I witness a little series called SaiKano, and dropped FMP down a few notches. It's still one of my top 10 favorite series for these reasons:

1. Sosuke Sagara and Kaname Chidori are two of the most entertaining characters that I've seen in any series. The fact that they are polar opposites (Sosuke is brash and unsocialable, while Kaname is kind-hearted, likable, and a bit overzealous) makes them a great couple.

2. Unlike most mecha anime, this series is more light-hearted and fun to watch. It could be because it's not filled with angst-riddled characters that seems to be the norm for most mecha series (read: Evangelion). However, there are some serious moments that are just as good as the lighter moments, such as in Episode 24, where spoiler[Sosuke (piloting the Arbalest) and Gauron (piloting the Venom) were battling aboard the Da Danaan when Gauron activated the Venom's self-destruct mechanism, which would destroy the Da Danaan and kill everyone aboard. Kaname, who merged with the ship thanks to her Whispered abilities, realized this and opened the sub's flight hatch, allowing Sosuke to lauch the Venom at the last second before it exploded over the sea.]

3. Both the seiyuus and the English VAs did a fabulous job in voicing the characters. They brought so much life into them. Speaking of the dub acting, the minute I listened to Kaname, Sosuke, and Teletha's dub voices, I became instant fans of Luci Christian (Kaname), Chris Patton (Sosuke), and Hilary Haag (Teletha) respectively. Also of note is Vic Mignogna's excellent performance of supporting character Kurz Weber; he of course is the dub voice of Ed Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist. In terms of animation, the first FMP series got me interested in watching the Studio Gonzo-animated titles, as I was very impressed with their style.

Whether FMP is overrated is, of course, a matter of opinion. I don't believe that FMP is overrrated. I don't believe that FMP is even underrated. I think that it generated enough of a solid fan base and national exposure to rate it as one of the better titles on the market. I'm looking forward to Fumoffu when it comes out in May, since I also love the FMP manga, of which the second series is based on.

Last edited by biliano on Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Hate to be the bearer of more bad news for you but you could have saved a bunch by buying the Complete Collection when ADV releases it on April 19. I found it for $53 and preordered it.

Awesome, thanks for mentioning it. Their collections sure have made my life much easier. I left off on episode...oh...18 or so back in the fansub days and never really picked it up again due to having about a jillion other things to get, but this'll help to solve that problem.

There wasn't as much hype back when I watched it, but the only FMP fans I knew at the time were mostly total jerks, which made me shy away from it at first. Silly of me to nearly let some jobbers ruin it for me. I was mighty impressed when I saw it - the comedy was actually funny and the serious parts weren't laughably out of place or too forced. I really need to finish this and, well, I guess now I can. I'm looking forward to this dub.
cell21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:33 am Reply with quote
FMP A LET DOWN?FMP is one anime which is one of my top 10 action/mecha animes.

I'm surprise that this anime isn't a bit more popular actually. FMP! has a great mix of comedy and action, balancing it out perfectly throughout the series. But my favorite part of the series is actually the characters. T+his is the first time that I liked both main characters. When I first started to watch it, I was a little worried that Chidori Kaname might end up to be like another Akane-type heroine, but to my delight Kaname is a more well-rounded character: not quick to anger, caring, not overly jealous and capable of taking care of herself. The main hero, Sousuke Sagara is just cute! But other than being well drawn, his character is a bit different from the stereotypical stoic male; he actually admits that he worries about Kaname, does not act like a jerk on purpose and though he is emotional retarded, he still tries to change and learn. Overall, this show would definitely appeal to anyone that loves the mix of high school comedy with mech action, with of course great looking characters as fan service.

[quote="Captain Crotchspike"]
Kruszer wrote:

Would they include an extra disc for extras?I already got the boxset ,which stands as best box out of ADV.But i was disappointed with the extras that ADV had thrown in.Trailers anyone?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the same number of discs as have already been released for the series only the set comes in slim packages instead of the normal size. Takes up less room that's good.
Quote:

DVD Features:

Region 1
7-Disc Set - Thinpak
Audio:
Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
Dolby Digital 2.0 - English, Japanese
Subtitles - English - Optional
Additional Release Material:
Additional Footage - 1. Clean Opening/Closing animation
2. Japanese Piracy Warning
Trailers - 1. ADV Previews
Text/Photo Galleries:
Production Sketches

Info comes from http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com

In addition, RahXephon also gets the slim packaged complete collection treatment on May 17th. I haven't seen either of these yet so I'll be picking them up.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
where spoiler[Sosuke (piloting the Armblast)]

That would be Arbalest:P (Armblast being the mistranslation of Armbrust used by Funimation in Kiddy Grade)
Funnily enough though, both words mean crossbow and both are Gonzo series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2