• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PSP

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TuxedoAsh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this has been brought up before but who here thinks that the PSP would be a great medium for anime distributors to start producing for.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:28 pm Reply with quote
In Japan, it's already been done. Bandai Visual will release Mobile Suit Gundam on UMD format. Other companies like Aniplex and Tohokushinsha are joining the PSP bandwagon as well.

Of course, since it's a Sony product, I won't be surprised to see Cowboy Bebop: The Movie and Metropolis on UMD format.

I even asked on the AnimeOnDVD.com forums if the site will ever review anime UMDs. Chris Beveridge showed the same interest as with ADV's Ani-Mini discs: none at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
comorbid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
It would certainly be great to see anime titles released for the PSP, but I think it would be much better if they released a peripheral that allowed you to copy the titles you own to a PSP disc to take it with you. Maybe the really die-hard fans would be willing to buy 2 copies of whatever title, but the more casual fan would probably be content with their home DVD player.

Plus with the travel kits available for the PS2, people are probably already doing stuff like that.

Unfortunately, they probably won't release a UMD burner, citing issues with piracy. Which I believe is the same reason why you can't use AVIsynth scripts with Vegas Video (also owned by Sony) to make AMVs.
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Lets be honest Who hear would willingly spend 300.00 for that peice of [deleted -b]. It fails in comparison to the Supirior DS. The psp has 3 hrs of baterary life, The ds has 7hrs. The ds Does not shoot the games out the back end, Oh ya and nintendo dident make a patch for there system that crashes it. And yet agin The DS Is only 150.00. Now can one person give me a valid reason to buy a psp With out using To watch anime on. Seeing as how you can do that on a portable 90.00 Dvd player and you will still have more batery life than the Sony POS.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Sousuke Segari wrote:
Now can one person give me a valid reason to buy a psp With out using To watch anime on.

Well, I won't go into whether or not the PSP is worth buying in general, but no, it's not worth it to watch anime, and I'm convinced that it will utterly fail when it comes to anime on UMD in the US. Indications are the cost will be higher per disc, with either less episodes (and extras) or lower quality. Couple that with UMD being exclusive to PSP, necessitating double purchasing if you want to watch on anything other then the PSP, and I don't see a big success at all.
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Exactly my point. thank you for remindeing me about that.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Sousuke Segari wrote:
Lets be honest Who hear would willingly spend 300.00 for that peice of shit. It fails in comparison to the Supirior DS. The psp has 3 hrs of baterary life, The ds has 7hrs. The ds Does not shoot the games out the back end, Oh ya and nintendo dident make a patch for there system that crashes it. And yet agin The DS Is only 150.00. Now can one person give me a valid reason to buy a psp With out using To watch anime on. Seeing as how you can do that on a portable 90.00 Dvd player and you will still have more batery life than the Sony POS.

Yikes, and I thought I was hard on the PSP, but you do have the wrong info. PSP ranges from 5 up to 8. DS is 10, with the GBA part goes up to, duh, 20 hours. They fixed the "Ninja" UMB slot a few months ago in Japan, so it's only right if they fixed it for the US verison (PSP owner help me on this one.) There was a probelm with WarioWare in Japan not working on some of the DS, so they offered trade ins. Besides, PSP $250, even with one game, it's still below $300. I had a laptop that had a DVD player on it (outside of computer part.). It lasts 6 hours, but its 10" widescreen. Avatec for $1,000.

Back on topic, UMD videos is nice, but like GBA videos, it's just going to take up room.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Watch your language and grammar, Sousuke Segari.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
OTP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Sousuke Segari wrote:
Lets be honest Who hear would willingly spend 300.00 for that peice of shit. It fails in comparison to the Supirior DS. The psp has 3 hrs of baterary life, The ds has 7hrs. The ds Does not shoot the games out the back end, Oh ya and nintendo dident make a patch for there system that crashes it. And yet agin The DS Is only 150.00. Now can one person give me a valid reason to buy a psp With out using To watch anime on. Seeing as how you can do that on a portable 90.00 Dvd player and you will still have more batery life than the Sony POS.

*Laughs* I just love it when people bash things and have all their facts ass-backwards.

Anyway, while I don't think UMDs will "utterly fail," I don't think they'll be a huge sucess either. I personally have no problems with buying UMDs and plan to get Mobile Suit Gundam if it comes out over here (if it already hasn't, I'm not completely sure), but with the PSP's ripping capabilities, I have a feeling that if anyone will use PSP to watch movies, they'll just be off the memory stick.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I find no use for portable DVD players or hand held games personally. The fact that I am constantly reading articles for my research for my internship, taking photographs, looking up and applying towards graduate school, or studying for my GREs really eats my time. I am just lucky to be able to watch two episodes of anime per week. Plus since it is 250$, that is a lot of money for a portable PS2 with a very beautiful LCD screen.

Not only because of time, I already have a PS2 that I can play games with and a decent setup at home, I kinda don't think that I need another hi tech gizmo.

I'll stick with DVDs, till the eventual new DVD format arrives. In terms will it do well? As mentioned its battery life is limited, but you can still watch a good movie or two with one battery charge.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Besides all the specs, it all comes down to the games that are coming out for the systems. Sure the DS you can play some cool foot ball games and such (I don't really know what games are out for the DS) but if the PSP happens to get FF7 or something well.... I am defiantly going for the PSP! I am just patiently waiting for good games to drop on each system, then I will make my move.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Besides all the specs, it all comes down to the games that are coming out for the systems. Sure the DS you can play some cool foot ball games and such (I don't really know what games are out for the DS) but if the PSP happens to get FF7 or something well.... I am defiantly going for the PSP!

Finally, someone who knows what I'm talking about. Rumor has it htat DS is getting FF7 and maybe 8.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I still do not see the point of Buying it just to watch anime. You can do that at home. why spend 300.00 (which is how much ist costs at most stores near my house) for anime. I just dont see it.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
msi435 wrote:
Besides all the specs, it all comes down to the games that are coming out for the systems. Sure the DS you can play some cool foot ball games and such (I don't really know what games are out for the DS) but if the PSP happens to get FF7 or something well.... I am defiantly going for the PSP!

Finally, someone who knows what I'm talking about. Rumor has it htat DS is getting FF7 and maybe 8.
yeah well rumors have been saying the GBA would get ff6 for years and it still hasn't happened.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
space clam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Sousuke Segari wrote:
I still do not see the point of Buying it just to watch anime. You can do that at home. why spend 300.00 (which is how much ist costs at most stores near my house) for anime. I just don't see it.

You wouldn't do it *just* to watch anime; that's just a sub-attraction. I don't have a source to back this up, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that the PSP will probably lose out to DS in the long run, in that PSP's software and such will end up costing too much to produce. I don't care either way, because I'm just going to wait and buy a PS3, which will be a worthier investment of an arm and a leg.

"In the Groove" for PS2+"StarCraft:Ghost"+"The Legend of Zelda"+"<next PS2 DDR mix, whatever it'll be called>"+<cost of finishing my home-metal pad>=a broke space clam, probably missing several key appendages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2