• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
are you satisfied with Gundam Seed DVD's packaging?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yangxu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:29 am Reply with quote
I don't know about you guys... but the packages themselves give me a feeling of buying a 2nd hand DVD... with severe bending and folding of the art under the damaged plastic cover (scratches, some rips, etc), not that I care so much about it, but this is not seen in any other company's packagings (eg. ADV Films)... I suppose it reflects a degree of how the workers in Bandai treat their products, it's a shame.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:51 am Reply with quote
Between the numerous mistakes on GIS SAC and the changes in the Zeta opening, I must agree to being rather disappointed with Bandai as of late. There complete collections (Big O, Banner/Crest of Stars, Arjuna, etc.) sets and the 1/2 price re-releases (Outlaw Star, Brain Powered, Gundam OAVs, etc.) are released at a great price, but I do expect a bit more for the $30+ releases.
I also can't recall a double-sided DVD cover from them since Witch Hunter Robiin, unless you count SAC's redundant cover.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:25 am Reply with quote
The changes to the Zeta opening/ending were out of their control, so I don't think they can be faulted for that.

Scratches, bends, rips, etc. happen. I've seen them on other DVD cases for new stuff too, anime or not, sometimes it just happens on the way over to the store. It can't always be helped.

I'm curious, just what else are you expecting on complete collections and half priced box set anime releases? And actually, didn't they stop making some of those complete collections (Betterman, Arjuna, etc.)? It's not surprising, considering how much they gave us for so little. We were lucky.
yangxu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:

Scratches, bends, rips, etc. happen. I've seen them on other DVD cases for new stuff too, anime or not, sometimes it just happens on the way over to the store. It can't always be helped.

well, that I can understand... but in Bandai's cases, 9 out of 10 of their products are like that, the frequency seems to be a bit too high for random shipping damage to occur, and it's the same for every store, that's just weird.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:39 am Reply with quote
yangxu wrote:
well, that I can understand... but in Bandai's cases, 9 out of 10 of their products are like that,

Weird, because all the Bandai packages I've seen are just fine. I've only run across...maybe one that's had any actual damage to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zaphdash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:11 am Reply with quote
I've never had any particular problem with Bandai's packaging. I've fallen a bit behind as of late and haven't picked up Gundam F91 or any SEED DVD after the first volume yet, but I've got a ton of other Bandai DVDs and don't really have any problems. The plastic on my Escaflowne 1 DVD is slightly torn, but it looks like it was done by a knife used to open the package at the store where I bought it. The G Gundam miniboxes are a little flimsy, but not a big problem (just, the DVDs don't fit perfectly snugly inside, so just having other DVDs stacked on top of them has very slightly deformed the boxes). Other than those things -- one thing that has almost certainly nothing to do with Bandai, and another that's so minor as to be a non-issue that I hadn't really thought of until I gazed at all my Bandai discs just now and noticed it -- I haven't ever had any problems with Bandai packaging. I've certainly never seen anything like you're describing.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
yangxu wrote:
well, that I can understand... but in Bandai's cases, 9 out of 10 of their products are like that,

Weird, because all the Bandai packages I've seen are just fine. I've only run across...maybe one that's had any actual damage to it.

Same here. I've been quite pleased with Bandai's packaging, though I must say that I take issue with the cheapness of the dvd cases they used for Infinite Ryvius, but that's it. With respect to Gundam SEED, I've been very pleased with the packaging and the included inserts. And also, I'd rather no one else take these series other than bandai, as I can trust bandai. That, in and of itself, is worth a few packaging screwups on Bandai's part.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
yangxu wrote:
Captain Crotchspike wrote:

well, that I can understand... but in Bandai's cases, 9 out of 10 of their products are like that, the frequency seems to be a bit too high for random shipping damage to occur, and it's the same for every store, that's just weird.

Hm, maybe it's the places that you normally buy your DVDs from that's the source of the problem. I've never had a single problem with any Bandai DVDs, and all of their discs/inserts are generally flawless (though sometimes their discs fall out of the DVD backing and get a bit mussed by the time I get my hands on them). The only times I've ever seen their stuff manhandled is with their re-package boxsets for WHR and .hack and stuff, but that's usually because they're too big to fit on the store shelves properly.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Hm, maybe it's the places that you normally buy your DVDs from that's the source of the problem. I've never had a single problem with any Bandai DVDs, and all of their discs/inserts are generally flawless (though sometimes their discs fall out of the DVD backing and get a bit mussed by the time I get my hands on them). The only times I've ever seen their stuff manhandled is with their re-package boxsets for WHR and .hack and stuff, but that's usually because they're too big to fit on the store shelves properly.

This is most likely the case, as the storage warehouse where a business keeps their stock-to-be-shelved stuff is where the mishandling, etc. that causes damage to the product is most likely to occur.

And as an update, I just got Gundam SEED volumes 8 and 9 from Deep Discount DVD today and both were in perfect condition, not a single flaw in the packaging, just like with the rest of my G-SEED dvds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1