• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Wing

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squall2600

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
can anyone tell me what comes with the gundam wing box set ? and does he box come with all the dvds in a box or dvds in one box? and what are the special features
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Squall2600 wrote:
can anyone tell me what comes with the gundam wing box set ? and does he box come with all the dvds in a box or dvds in one box? and what are the special features

The Gundam Wing box set comes with all 10 DVDs. Released before the companies started releasing Special volume 1 DVDs that include the box and stuff. Sadly no extras worth mentioning as it was released in 1999 when the companies figured no cared about extras i guess.

HEY BANDAI, How about a remastered rerelease? Gundam Wing is still well loved and deserves it!
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The Gundam Wing box wasn't released in 1999. The show didn't even air until March 2000. The first DVD came out shortly after the initial run ended in May, and from then on, a new DVD came out every other month (except for volumes 8 and 9, which came out at the same time) until the entire series was out by November 2001. The box set wasn't released until September 2002, ten months after the individual release of the tenth DVD.

If that sounds nitpicky, it's because it kind of is. But you say there are no extras worth mentioning, and then give a false release date as the reason why. Actually, the Gundam Wing DVDs came with some extras that, while they aren't as good as the extras on more recent releases, weren't all that bad. Off the top of my head, I recall mecha info, character bios, image galleries, textless openings and endings... and there was probably more, but I haven't put a Gundam Wing disc into my DVD player in at least three years, so my memory is somewhat hazy. Sure, those things don't stack up terribly well against the director's commentary on the FLCL DVDs or the NASA interviews on the upcoming Planetes DVDs or any DVD with interviews with cast or crew, but they weren't bad extras, and were better than the extras on a lot of other DVDs that were coming out at the same time.

The box itself, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't come with anymore extras, though. I don't have it because I got the individual discs, but I think it's just a box with the ten DVDs in it. So you still obviously get all the extras that came with the DVDs, but you don't get a booklet or pencil sharpeners or any of the other crap that came with the Zeta box, for instance. The only extra you get with the box is...the box.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
The Gundam Wing box wasn't released in 1999. The show didn't even air until March 2000. The first DVD came out shortly after the initial run ended in May, and from then on, a new DVD came out every other month (except for volumes 8 and 9, which came out at the same time) until the entire series was out by November 2001. The box set wasn't released until September 2002, ten months after the individual release of the tenth DVD.

If that sounds nitpicky, it's because it kind of is. But you say there are no extras worth mentioning, and then give a false release date as the reason why. Actually, the Gundam Wing DVDs came with some extras that, while they aren't as good as the extras on more recent releases, weren't all that bad. Off the top of my head, I recall mecha info, character bios, image galleries, textless openings and endings... and there was probably more, but I haven't put a Gundam Wing disc into my DVD player in at least three years, so my memory is somewhat hazy. Sure, those things don't stack up terribly well against the director's commentary on the FLCL DVDs or the NASA interviews on the upcoming Planetes DVDs or any DVD with interviews with cast or crew, but they weren't bad extras, and were better than the extras on a lot of other DVDs that were coming out at the same time.

The box itself, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't come with anymore extras, though. I don't have it because I got the individual discs, but I think it's just a box with the ten DVDs in it. So you still obviously get all the extras that came with the DVDs, but you don't get a booklet or pencil sharpeners or any of the other crap that came with the Zeta box, for instance. The only extra you get with the box is...the box.

dude...you dont have to all fiery about this. My memory was fuzzy....sorry (thats what the back of the DVDs say... bandai 1999.) If someone makes a mistake in a forum, big whoop, somebody just step up and make a correction, and not write some long ol email telling that person off. And the extras are really not worth mentioning. That was my state of opinion. A page of mech techs that are on the back of the box, a still shot of a character and a sentence with an age, and textless openings...does anyone find those worthwhile extras?
zaphdash

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
dude...you don't have to all fiery about this. My memory was fuzzy....sorry (thats what the back of the DVDs say... bandai 1999.) If someone makes a mistake in a forum, big whoop, somebody just step up and make a correction, and not write some long ol email telling that person off. And the extras are really not worth mentioning. That was my state of opinion. A page of mech techs that are on the back of the box, a still shot of a character and a sentence with an age, and textless openings...does anyone find those worthwhile extras?

The original poster asked what the special features are, and your reply made it seem as if there were none or they weren't really extras (like trailers for other shows and things of that nature). He didn't ask your opinion on the extras, he asked what they were. You didn't answer the question, so I did. In the process of doing that, I stepped up and made a correction to a mistake you made in your post. I didn't tell you off and I certainly wasn't "all fiery" about it, so don't get so defensive about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1