• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Influncial Movie

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea if there is a post like this allready but I was wondering what you people thought has been the most influencial anime movie to come from Japan and introduced in North America?

For me I think it has to be Akira, it was very contraversial as a starter anime for anyone getting into anime. It has very good music and the character development is great. This is the movie that I have heard many people credit for there love of anime, as well as what hooked them in the first place to anime. This movie is one where it has to be seen more then once to realy make sence of and to show just how good it realy is. Any way tell me what you think is the most influencal anime movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
All depends, what do you mean by influecial?

I could say that Samurai X OAV's influenced me to do sword lessons, or that GITS got me in to philosophy, Princess Mononoke got me in touch with nature (i know, it wasn't the message), that Inuyasha: castle beyond the looking glass got me into mythology...the question is too vauge, though most of the examples above are true...

If you are talking about the most influential movie that sucked me into anime even more than i was then i would say Princess Mononoke. The music, plit, and character developement seemed amazing. The slight romances, cleaver schemes, and fantasic ending were just perfect that it draged me to look for more movies like it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree with Akira. It was released in the U.S. during the early 90s and I remember all the hype in the commercials I saw. As overrated as I think it is now, it does have its merit in that it served as a catalyst in creating fans during those early stages of U.S. anime fandom.

Another movie would also most certainly be Ninja Scroll. The violence, gore, nudity, rape, and all that other adult stuff really made an impact on the action genre, in my opinion.

And if you're old enough to remember, I believe the original Vampire Hunter D was bit of a commodity around that time as well contributing to the horror/supernatural genre as well.

In fact, those second and third choices are still among my favorite anime to this day Anime smile.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:58 am Reply with quote
And don't forget about Nausica. Without Nausica much of what we call anime today would never have come to be. If you listen to the commentary track for Wings of Honeamise it becomes obvious that without Nausica as a reference point that movie would have never got the funding that it did. If it hadn't been for Nausica, studios would not have been as willing to invest in different/serious/experimantal works like Akira, Ninja Scroll or what have you. Neither would they be as willing to make serious, realistic movies; just think where Kon would be in that case! Also , this film set the tone for every Ghibli movie that followed; movies that have become the gold standard for anime films in Japan and also spawned devotees and copycats on this side of the ocean.

Last edited by ShellBullet on Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote
For me it would be Princess Mononoke because it was the first anime movie that I saw in a theatre and it's an awesome movie.
msi435

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:22 am Reply with quote
I would also agree with Akira as for being the most influential anime for north america. It was the first publicly advertized anime that i can remmber, and it turned alot of poeple on to anime for years to come. If it wasn't for those Akira commercials my cousin would have never bought the movie and i would never be into anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I would go with Nausica and then Wings of Honeamise.

Nausica because it showed that a story could be taken in a serious way. That way the funding was there for others.

Wings of Honeamise-- Because this was the first project of a little company call Gainax. They showed what could be done and that Anime could be written in a serious way and be taken directions that the art had not been taken before. This is not only my opinion but also that Hayao Miyazaki.

That in turn led to the creation of many of the companies like Madhouse, Gonzo, etc. They probably would not exist. Anime would also not develop the serious, non action oriented storylines that many series have today. In other words, no Haibane or Lain, no Koi Kaze, no Paronia Agent, maybe no Wolfs Reign. Imagine Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh, purely as an action movie much like Akira (which was in production when Wings came out) without any philosophical delving, which is one of the big things that makes Anime different then western animation and this might blut some of the infiltration of Anime into non Japanese markets.

BtW, I'm not say these are the best movie (That's Mononoke Hime) but that these are movies that altered how stream of where Anime was going.

For All our Relations,

Kerney
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1