• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do I like Last Exile so much?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
I watched Last Exile a little while back and I was absolutly amazed, the animation quality, the story line, the dialog and the plot was absolulty amazing. I loved the characters and the way they where developed. I even liked the names of the characters Clas and Ravy (I know I didn't spell them right). But I have seen other anime that I feel the same way about, for example Full Metal Panic. But why is this one different, I can't seem to figure out why I like this anime so much. Help me out here. Very Happy The only one that can compare to this anime in the way I feel about the anime is .hack//sign.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AKOrtega

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
When I watched Last Exile i felt the same way. It is an outstanding anime and i watch it all the time my dad does not care much for anime but when i had im watch episode 1 with me he wanted to see the rest. oh its Claus and Lavy. Maybe the anime tends to hit all the subjects your interested in when it comes to anime. action, war, 19th century technology with a 21st century twist, love intrests, great music, outstanding graphics, all in an amazing story can get anyone hooked. it sure got me!!!
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I found Last Exile, amazing. I only wish I had found it before my friend did, but it saved me some dough. One thing that was great is the quality of the animation that Gonzo is known for, its just amazing.

The story was very original too, which kept me hooked to the great ending of the show. You have to like the characters as well, who were all very interesting, even Alex Roe (Probably wrong) who didn't say much at all.

Also I loved those airship battles, they were spectacular.

I don't remember where I read it but it was considered the best anime of last years releases here.
Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I think you like because you just do. ITs something that cant truly be understood I would say. NO offense but I really didn't care too much for last exile although I have nothing bad to say about it. Enjoy it though because thats what anime is for, its for you enjoyment Very Happy
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I like it for reasons that a probably different from most people on here. At first, i was drawn to it because of its premise of flying airships, which, as future aerospace engineer, is always intriguing to me. Beyond the initial intrigue, i found a much deeper plot with many different individual story lines. Unlike most other shows of this type though, I think that it developes each character's story without having to devote an entire episode to specific characters, which, in my opinion, makes the story seem a bit more fast paced.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:44 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Last EXILE as well. It's no Masterpeice, but I still find it an Excellent series. The characters themselves feel a little cliched, but what I like the most is how a lot of them were written into the plot with their own little agendas here and there.

I've also always had a thing for Gonzo produced titles. They do a pretty decent job with their art and animation all the while incorporating a fair amount of CG every now and then.

However, the only thing really keeping me from ever rating their work as Masterpeices is the fact that they aren't too great in writing endings. I mean, for the most part, I'll like everything that's been written, but by the time the series ends I just don't feel a sense of closure (at least a complete one).

I do like the Science Fiction theme, though. The Vanships and military cruisers looked very nice, but with all the technology they had to use, I'm still a bit boggled as to why a lot of it was steam powered or even why the heck they bothered with muskets Anime smile + sweatdrop. But then again, mixing high-tech with the old fashioned was actually pretty cool Very Happy.

Oh well, I also love the music in this series. I've never heard of Dolce Triade, but whoever he is/they are I like what they did. Particularly, I have the instrumental theme of the Silvana stuck in my head. It reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics when it gets to the trumpets part Razz.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

I do like the Science Fiction theme, though. The Vanships and military cruisers looked very nice, but with all the technology they had to use, I'm still a bit boggled as to why a lot of it was steam powered or even why the heck they bothered with muskets Anime smile + sweatdrop. But then again, mixing high-tech with the old fashioned was actually pretty cool Very Happy.

They used what they had because that's all the Guild would let them have. The Guild controlled all technology propagation on the LE world. Even the Cloudia<sp> units that propelled and lifted the battleships were Guild property and could be recalled at anytime, except for the Silvana's.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm still a bit boggled as to... ...why the heck they bothered with muskets.

Chivalry: the system, spirit, ways, or customs of knighthood. Line up and fire. They fight like we used to back in the day, with honor Rolling Eyes. Take this for example, just because you have a nuclear weapon (or ship) doesn't mean you use it in a conflict, it's to destructive, and to many lives would be lost. So they send the Marines instead, or musketeers in this case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:05 am Reply with quote
Dagwood wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the explanation, but no need to get rolly eyed because of a question I had. I've no clue of whether you're trying to display sarcasm or just pretentiously insult me for whatever reason, but do accept my apology for not being intelligent enough to grasp your concept of chivalry straight off the bat Neutral.

And thank you, Nobuyuki, for a seemingly more modest reply, without the Rolling Eyes.
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:51 am Reply with quote
I'll jump in here and defend Dagwood for a second. I don't think that's what he meant, Tony. I think he's rolling his eyes at the notion that there's anything chivalrous about people shooting eachother to bits - not at your question.

What was so tragic about the war between Anatoray and Disith was that it was so unnecessary. They should have been trying to take out Delphine's government to gain even distribution of resources instead of fighting eachother over the scraps they had. They eventually realized this, but too many rank and file had already died.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
That's fine then. It was very late and I was feeling cranky when I originally read his post and took it the wrong way, sorry Anime smile + sweatdrop. After sleeping a few hours, I hardly remember even getting annoyed. Sorry 'bout that, Dagwood. Smile
Dagwood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think he's rolling his eyes at the notion that there's anything chivalrous about people shooting eachother to bits - not at your question.

Exactly, war has no honor.

Quote:
It was very late and I was feeling cranky when I originally read his post and took it the wrong way, sorry . After sleeping a few hours, I hardly remember even getting annoyed. Sorry 'bout that, Dagwood.

It's quite alright Tony. In fact, I've done it too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:48 am Reply with quote
Dagwood wrote:

Um...the show's producers were trying to emulate a style of warfare from a bygone age where wars fought by the likes of the British Empire were considered "noble" and "chivalrous" (think 1700s-1800s thereabouts), albeit retooled a bit to suit a pseudo-futuristic steampunk setting. I don't exactly think they were concerned with making it fit the political views of today's teenagers, rather I think they might have been trying to tell a sweeping, epic steampunk fantasy with 1700s-style trappings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gauss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Dagwood wrote:

Which is a viewpoint peculiar to our times. Throughout history various cultures have viewed wars as glorious and honorable. Frequently they also invent codes of conduct that to us seem silly but in their cultural context makes perfect sense. Often the rules are meant to limit the destructiveness of war, such as by having champions or a token fight settle an issue. Naturally the champions and leaders like to stress how good and honorable they are and in return they usually get the accolades of the masses. The cultures in Last Exile have more in common with old ideas of chivalry than our modern culture. Yet to be honest, most societies that deplore war itself still likes to stress the honor of soldiers and require them to follow certain rules of warfare (what are the Geneva Conventions if not a code of conduct for our times?).

After that, I would like to add another reason why I think people like Last Exile... there is a slowly unfolding mystery built into the story. The world is so fascinating and weird that simply unraveling the background keeps many of us watching the show until the end. As such I can see why the ending left some feeling a bit unfulfilled. Sure, we got to know what the Last Exile is but the details were left out. Hopefully they will make a prequel that fleshes out the background of the world.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Um...the show's producers were trying to emulate a style of warfare from a bygone age where wars fought by the likes of the British Empire were considered "noble" and "chivalrous" (think 1700s-1800s thereabouts

Your right, but I wasn't saying they were emulating knights or the middle ages. I was just using the connection between knighthood and being noble to define chivalry. When I said they fight like we used to, I was making the connection to lining up and doing battle in an honorable way. You mentioned the British Empire, my connection was to the Revolutionary War, and that most battles were fought in lines on huge fields. And how battles were fought with strict rules, so much so, that they stoped battle just to have tea.

Quote:
I don't exactly think they were concerned with making it fit the political views of today's teenagers, rather I think they might have been trying to tell a sweeping, epic steampunk fantasy with 1700s-style trappings.

I completely agree, and it worked, Last Exile is great. I think you've misunderstood me. I was just voicing my opinion on the matter of war, and that it's my belief that in no matter what society or time your in, war couldn't ever be considered noble.

Quote:
Often the rules are meant to limit the destructiveness of war

Yep. I said...
Quote:
Take this for example, just because you have a nuclear weapon (or ship) doesn't mean you use it in a conflict, it's to destructive, and to many lives would be lost. So you send the Marines instead, or musketeers in this case.

Quote:
Throughout history various cultures have viewed wars as glorious and honorable.

Greeks (the Spartans), Romens, Lords and their Knights, British Empire, Imperial Japan, they are all examples. Look at today, we see extremist groups in the Middle East waging a "holy war" of sorts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2