• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GITS SAC SoundTrack Question?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Twilight Dragon wrote:
I never herd of it. Which cd is it on?

Heard of what? Hyperballad? It's on Bjork's sophomore album "Post" (or on her Greatest Hits). All the other songs mentioned are from the GITS:SAC soundtracks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to know: How did you get your copy of the soundtrack?

I picked up the OST+ soundtrack from a Suncoast Video in a local mall for $9.99 (I already had the regular DVDs, and probably won't get any of the Special Editions because I don't really need the DTS version).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
You may have the two soundtracks confused as they aren't really numbered. "Inner Universe" is on the one titled Plus while the other is titled Be Human.

Plus was an excellent soundtrack I love "Stamina Rose," "Inner Universe," "Velveteen," and "Beauty is Within Us" in particular.
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
The only song I didn't like was Lithium Flower. I still try to sit and listen to it, but I can't make heads or tails as to the theme of the song itself. First, he talks about a "lithium flower", then it goes into repetitous "surfing" phrases.

I like that song and it makes sense to me. I always thought that the confusion is one of it's themes. I always thought that a "lithium flower" refers to women like major Kusanagi who are humans with artficial cyborg bodies (it's the opposite of a clockwork orange if you will;) ) and how weird and technologically perfect such a being is. It's really hard to explain what I mean. That's just my interpretation anyway.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:25 am Reply with quote
I still think that 2nd GIG's "rise" was better than Inner Universe. The only disappointment is that 2nd GIG needs another OST... there are so many songs that appears in the 2nd season that aren't on an OST...
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see another GITS OST as well, but ever since I discovered that "To Tell the Truth" was on the 2nd GIG OST, I've been happy as a lark. I was practically crestfallen when it didn't appear on either the first OST or Be Human. I can listen (and have) to that song for hours on end and not get sick of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Origa is great - she's everybody's favourite Siberian. Please note that she's recently done sterling work on the OP and ED themes for Fantastic Children. The ED in particular, Mizu no madoromi, is out of this world.

- abunai

Origa is Siberian? So the song Inner Universe is in...Siberian? Confused I've been wondering about that. (or is it Russian? I don't know languages...)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Origa is Siberian? So the song Inner Universe is in...Siberian? Confused I've been wondering about that. (or is it Russian? I don't know languages...)

Yes, the song is in Russian. Go here and scroll down a little to see a small discussion about it Smile. Great song too, by the way Anime hyper.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Ah, thanks very much. Yeah, that song was definitely one of a kind.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Glory Questor wrote:
The only song I didn't like was Lithium Flower. I still try to sit and listen to it, but I can't make heads or tails as to the theme of the song itself. First, he talks about a "lithium flower", then it goes into repetitous "surfing" phrases.

I like that song and it makes sense to me. I always thought that the confusion is one of it's themes. I always thought that a "lithium flower" refers to women like major Kusanagi who are humans with artficial cyborg bodies (it's the opposite of a clockwork orange if you will;) ) and how weird and technologically perfect such a being is. It's really hard to explain what I mean. That's just my interpretation anyway.

I read Glory Questor's post on "Lithium Flower" a while back and then read the lyrics and didn't get them myself. Especially the "surf" part. Even the short ending theme they put on Adult Swim made it hard to understand the song. After finally purchasing the DVDs and listening to the full ending theme I understood the lyrics. You gave a good explanation, Proman Smile

The part "how is she when she doesn't surf?" reminds me of the very beginning of the 1995 GitS when Batou asks Kusanagi about all the noise in her brain and she says it must be a loose wire, since she was surfing so many channels all at once. I think the singer is just wondering what the Lithium Flower is like when she's not online.

I actually came back to this thread because I just realized that "Inner Universe" was 10 instead of 11 and it took me a while to figure out that "Lithium Flower" came after "Velveteen", but it's on the same track. I bought the DVD Special Edition a week ago and would figure they would have had the problem fixed by now and wouldn't have sent out a faulty OST with the 1st DVD. I guess not. I may have to send the OST back and get a replacement. I'll have to see.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Chiroptera Rex wrote:
The part "how is she when she doesn't surf?" reminds me of the very beginning of the 1995 GitS when Batou asks Kusanagi about all the noise in her brain and she says it must be a loose wire, since she was surfing so many channels all at once.

Interestingly, this line was changed for the English dub. The original Japanese line is "It's that time of the month," which is one of the most paradoxical lines in anime.

Judge Mark Pinsky at dvdverdict.com brings up a good point concerning this:

Quote:
In Mamoru Oshii's vision of Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell, the "ghost" is what remains beyond the machine. The government agents of the top-secret Section 9 are nearly all cyborgs, technical constructs with little organic material left. Major Kusanagi is virtually all machine, with only an organic brain stem remaining. The opening credit sequence shows her laboratory assembly in a smooth display of computer graphics and animation. Kusanagi still believes she is human, however, attributing technical errors to organic causes. When her lieutenant Batou comments on the radio, "There's a lot of static in your brain," her response is cliché: "It's that time of the month."

Oddly, the English dub of Ghost in the Shell gets this all backwards, translating Kusanagi's response as, "It must be a loose wire." Whose fault is the malfunction: the organic body, or the technical one?

The intersection between organic and technical, between subject and object, is the core of Oshii's film. This cynosure is crucial, as all change, all growth, comes with the accession of chance into a closed system. When the fully-human Togusa asks Kusanagi why she would keep a non-cybered officer on her team, she explains, "No matter how powerful we may be fighting-wise, a system where all the parts react the same way is a system with a fatal flaw. Like individual, like organization. Overspecialization leads to death." At the film's climax, Kusanagi engages in a tense battle with a robot tank. The tank's cannons destroy a mural of an "evolutionary tree." Such an image suggests the very paradox of progress: does change move us forward, or merely sideways?
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I just ordered SAC OST 2; and it should be in a week or two. As for be Human it sounds like a Cirque du Solei story just waiting to be told. The music is very classical, soothing, and just a joy to listen to. I can picture the acrobats and female contortionists Laughing just moving to the sounds of that album.
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Chiroptera Rex wrote:
The part "how is she when she doesn't surf?" reminds me of the very beginning of the 1995 GitS when Batou asks Kusanagi about all the noise in her brain and she says it must be a loose wire, since she was surfing so many channels all at once.

Interestingly, this line was changed for the English dub. The original Japanese line is "It's that time of the month," which is one of the most paradoxical lines in anime.

Judge Mark Pinsky at dvdverdict.com brings up a good point concerning this:

Quote:
In Mamoru Oshii's vision of Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell, the "ghost" is what remains beyond the machine. The government agents of the top-secret Section 9 are nearly all cyborgs, technical constructs with little organic material left. Major Kusanagi is virtually all machine, with only an organic brain stem remaining. The opening credit sequence shows her laboratory assembly in a smooth display of computer graphics and animation. Kusanagi still believes she is human, however, attributing technical errors to organic causes. When her lieutenant Batou comments on the radio, "There's a lot of static in your brain," her response is cliché: "It's that time of the month."

Oddly, the English dub of Ghost in the Shell gets this all backwards, translating Kusanagi's response as, "It must be a loose wire." Whose fault is the malfunction: the organic body, or the technical one?

The intersection between organic and technical, between subject and object, is the core of Oshii's film. This cynosure is crucial, as all change, all growth, comes with the accession of chance into a closed system. When the fully-human Togusa asks Kusanagi why she would keep a non-cybered officer on her team, she explains, "No matter how powerful we may be fighting-wise, a system where all the parts react the same way is a system with a fatal flaw. Like individual, like organization. Overspecialization leads to death." At the film's climax, Kusanagi engages in a tense battle with a robot tank. The tank's cannons destroy a mural of an "evolutionary tree." Such an image suggests the very paradox of progress: does change move us forward, or merely sideways?

I've never even turned on the subtitles in GitS, but just did to confirm that's what the Major really said in Japanese. I'm sure she's just being facetious, but I think "Must be a loose wire." works much better.

I've always liked the Motoko-Togusa conversation. It relates a lot to the Stand-Alone/Complex idea as written down in the first episode of SAC. It is slow death.

And, just to mention another song from the GitS soundtrack, "Run Rabbit Junk". Could they possibly make the song names any cooler? Smile This is my favourite song from the series, it just works so well in the battle scenes that they use it in.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
I still think that 2nd GIG's "rise" was better than Inner Universe. The only disappointment is that 2nd GIG needs another OST... there are so many songs that appears in the 2nd season that aren't on an OST...

Really? I didn't much like "Rise". I thought that "Inner Universe" was better both lyrically and musically (Russian is my native language).
naeblis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:28 am Reply with quote
Heh, yea I liked Inner Universe more also. But anyways, I have a question for you Proman, or for anyone else who can help me. I've always been curious about a few lines from Inner Universe. What does "Aeria gloris" mean? I wasn't sure if it was Russian. Sounded latin to me at the time so I stuck it into a translator and got nothing useful. What does it mean? Also what does that line right after "Aeria Gloris" mean? Sorry, I don't know how thats spelled. Thanks in advance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4