• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime for Popular People

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
///

Last edited by Edo on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Not realy, I have one friend that is pretty popular and he has only seen one anime series and thats about it for the people I know. Lots of my friends watch anime (just the friends I hang out with) but there not realy that popular.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Yes and no. I know of some "popular" people that do watch anime and manga, but at the same time they dont go around saying I LIKE ANIME YAY! I dont think there is a difference between popular people and non popular in the way that we can all like anime. See there are people out there that for some reason cant get into their minds that anime isnt some weird freaky japanese animation whos name is always Yugioh. Yes that right. I was watching FMA with a friend at school(he had a dvd) when a girl I know comes over and says "eww you dont watch that Yugioh stuff do you?". Im sure I could find an anime she would LOVE but forget it. I've noticed that people who dont like anime are highly religious .culturay ignorant stuborn people(no offense to the religious people on this forums).
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
Slayer wrote:
I've noticed that people who don't like anime are highly religious, culturally ignorant stuborn people(no offense to the religious people on this forums).
*edited for spelling*

I don't see that, quite a few of the Christians in my midweek Bible study are into anime. Heck, I know my pastor has seen several Ghibli movies. Besides, I should point out that there is nothing wrong with not liking anime, it doesn't make someone "culturally ignorant" just because they don't prefer a particular form of entertainment. Neutral
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:41 am Reply with quote
Well, I know I'm popular and I love anime LOL.

I didn't watch anime in high school. Too busy with sports and studies and I did run with the popular crowd. In college I started to have more free time and I had friends and relatives who hooked me on movies like Akira and Ninja Scroll and I went from there. The first time I heard the word Otaku was in Metal Gear Solid when the scientist Hal Emmerich wanted Snake to call him Otacon. The scientist did seem like a nerd so I just inferred from the game that Otakus must be nerds. Well, I am now an otaku so I guess that I'm a nerd lol.

All intellectuals are probably labeled nerds at one point. And they'd be called that by people who think they're too good to watch stuff and rather watch National Lampoon's movies or whatever.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:50 am Reply with quote
Slayer wrote:
YI've noticed that people who don't like anime are highly religious .culturay ignorant stuborn people(no offense to the religious people on this forums).

Sorry, but it's still insulting to say that people with strong faith don't like anime for whatever reason. Even if you did say "no offense", it's still an ignorant statement. Now, very few, if any of my fellow Christian friends like anime (as far as I can tell, I'm one of the only Christian anime fans on campus), but that doesn't mean that we Christians don't like anime for some religious reason.

Please consider just what you're saying before you post it. Some of us here take our faith quite seriously and don't enjoy getting bashed because of it (even if it was unintentional and accidental).
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:02 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty popular around where I live, but most people don't know that I watch anime. I'm popular because of my personality. It has nothing to do with my watching anime (or not).

I have friends who watch anime but they're not really popular.
matticans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:05 am Reply with quote
I am pretty popular. I have a shit load of friends in all places. I guess a lot of poeple that I know don't actually know about my anime hobby. Most people just know me as the skateboarding CKY guy, who likes to party. But my really good friends know about the anime and really don't care. But there is some people that give me the whole, "You watch that hentai stuff",and "So you like Poke'mon right." That shit annoys the hell out of me, but all I can do is ignore them most of the time.

But this once I got my revenge on this one popular jock guy. He found out I watched anime and bashed me in the middle of class. Well later that week when I was skateboarding, I saw him up at our local comic shop trading Yu-Gi-Oh cards. He got his monday morning Twisted Evil .
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:21 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
Slayer wrote:
I've noticed that people who don't like anime are highly religious .culturay ignorant stuborn people(no offense to the religious people on this forums).

Sorry, but it's still insulting to say that people with strong faith don't like anime for whatever reason. Even if you did say "no offense", it's still an ignorant statement. Now, very few, if any of my fellow Christian friends like anime (as far as I can tell, I'm one of the only Christian anime fans on campus), but that doesn't mean that we Christians don't like anime for some religious reason.

Please consider just what you're saying before you post it. Some of us here take our faith quite seriously and don't enjoy getting bashed because of it (even if it was unintentional and accidental).

I agree completely. In fact, it seems to me that those who make a blanket statement to call Christians ignorant and stubborn only make themselves appear both ignorant and stubborn. But, then agan, ignorance and stubbornness are plagues on mankind in general.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:48 am Reply with quote
Haha, "popular". Heh. I like how that term seemed to of completely dissapeared after I left highschool.
DownLoadJihad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Haha, "popular". Heh. I like how that term seemed to of completely dissapeared after I left highschool.

Yeah, lol, I haven't heard that term in years. Very Happy

I think later in life you're either "cool" or a "loser." A lot of it has to do with your career and how good looking you are, I guess, since there are no longer any Official Popularity rankings.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Unless you're very young (Middle schooler) or you live in a behind the times area, there really isn't that much of a heirarchy of popularity in today's highscools as there once used to be. It's more like a bunch of groups, clicks, whatever, mushed together. No group is more popular than the other. I'm coming close to the end of my senior year, and popularity doesn't really seem to exsist at my school, which is very nice. The only people who think that they're popular are, a) drunkards, or b) too stupid to realize that everyone dislikes them, they just won't say it outloud. It's nice. But there's still such a thing as the opposite of popularity, that is, geeks/dorks/losers that nobody really likes, etc.

(edit) As for the religious statements, I also resent those. There are plenty of religious/Christian/etc people that enjoy anime. Anime is a medium, not a genre. They can enjoy it as much as the next person. And calling us culturally ignorant is just untrue and rude, and hypocritical. The Christian faith, in theory, tries to reach out to all types of people, instead of just staying inclusive like other religions. Therefore, Christians would technically be more culturally enlightened than any other faith. People don't always carry this out prefectly, but don't let a few bad ones in backwater towns ruin it for all of us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Haru to Ahura wrote: The Christian faith, in theory, tries to reach out to all types of people, instead of just staying inclusive like other religions. Therefore, Christians would technically be more culturally enlightened than any other faith. People don't always carry this out prefectly, but don't let a few bad ones in backwater towns ruin it for all of us.

I totally agree with you. I'm a devout Catholic, and I JUST LOVE ANIME AND MANGAS. The only Christians that I seem to remember not liking anime are those who are always in deep prayer, quoting from the New Testament (not the Old for some reason) and call anime a product of the devil (probably the backwater types.) I just think that we should just ignore those who don't like anime and just continue on with our fandom. We don't have to hate those who hate anime, just pray for their souls and hope that they will stop praising so much and go to live their lives.

By the way, even though I'm not in high school any more, I do remember that there were not any popular kids, just the usual clicks. (I was in the JROTC click, but we all went to parties, clubs and raves every week.) Cool Long Live Class Of 2004!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:44 pm Reply with quote
///

Last edited by Edo on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Edo wrote:
Haru to Ashura wrote:
The Christian faith, in theory, tries to reach out to all types of people, instead of just staying inclusive like other religions. Therefore, Christians would technically be more culturally enlightened than any other faith. People don't always carry this out prefectly, but don't let a few bad ones in backwater towns ruin it for all of us.

Lets not get into a religious debate. Plus, I can't believe my topic on recommendations of "North American Cartoons/Anime" was locked because it was off topic (it wasn't actually, i mentioned anime in it) and this topic isn't locked for BLATENT racism. You can't say other religiions are inclusive. What religions are you speaking of? And I swear to god, if you say Islam...

Sorry, I was trying to make a point. And no, I wasn't thinking Islam. You're right, I guess this isn't the place for that, again, I'm sorry.

But realize that I didn't start this argument. And furthermore, by you assuming that I was thinking of Islam, you're also making religious steroeotypes. And this isn't racism, as we are not talking about races, silly. :)

So far we're all being civil about the matter, so I see no reason as to why this would be locked. What's the point of being in a forum if you can't have a bit of intelligent conversation, as long as it's kept friendly?

Last edited by Haru to Ashura on Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3