• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: DVD / BD Habits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
The factor not revealed by this survey that influences my DVD/BD attitudes the most is that the bulk of my collection is non-anime, and most of the non-anime content is TV shows from the pre-HD era. I'm not interested in BD at this time because it has very little to offer me.

The primary reason I get anime on DVD is I want to see it and I can't get it any other way. However, I only wind up buying a small fraction of what I'm interested in at any given time, so an anime distributor looking to make money off of me is better off going with the sure bet of streaming ad money, rather than the slim chance it'll be one of the shows I pick to buy on DVD anytime soon.

One question nitpick: Rather than "Amazon.com", do you just mean the whole Amazon family? I've never bought anime at Amazon.com, so I left that unchecked, but I'm about to order Redline from Amazon.co.uk. (In general, I rarely buy anything from Amazon.com, but Amazon.co.uk is my first stop for stuff that's available in the UK and not the US.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cat_clan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
On the last question, I answered "I won't watch streaming anime, downloading is the only way for me". The reality is that I live in a country where the Internet connection is pretty bad from time to time. So a year back when I bought a CR premium it was pretty bad, I had at least 5 "buffering" freezes in a episode, which was really annoying. Basically my Internet connection can't keep up with a 720p continuous streaming. I just wanted to elaborate a bit more on the answer, since I believe most of the US streaming distributors don't really seem to understand that buffered streaming is the only option non-developed countries can support with our current Internet infrastructure.

Also on the DVD/Blu-Ray releases, I love supporting my local distributors releases. I don't usually import R1 releases, because it gets really pricy with the conversion rate, S/H and import taxes. The disadvantage on not importing R1 releases is that there has been only like 50 DVDs released legally in my country with Japanese audio included. Which is a real shame, I mean even Naruto was released Spanish dub only...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

You can buy Blu-ray without re-buying you know - in fact a lot of older anime will probably never get a BD re-release.

Aside from theatrical movies, I really don't see myself rebuying most of the anime TV series I already own on DVD on Blu, or at least those shows animated for standard definition, unless the Blu version is done from film masters rather than upconversions.

I would definitely make an exception for Kamichu! should Aniplex give it the domestic Blu-Ray release it so richly deserves, though that one was animated for high definition in the first place. I can only stand to watch my Kamichu! DVD's on my portable DVD player now because of how noticeable some of the artifacting is when played on my Blu-Ray player.

I will also shell out for a Blu-Ray rerelease of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya which I am fairly confident will happen by the end of next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Interesting survey. I like how some of the questions had options or were worded in a way that separated series that you love or are favorites from everything else.

It was interesting to see that BD seems to be the preferred format for people taking the survey but I've heard at industry panels that BD anime in the US just doesn't perform well at all compared to DVD versions.

On the first page I saw someone brought up an issue with the price of DVD/BD combo packs. I used to hate them as well because they did increase the price, even if it was marginal, because all I got was a crappy version that I never wanted under any circumstances. However, when the BDs and DVDs come in separate cases with their own art (such as Katanagatari), it's easy to sell the version that you don't want. I paid like $47 for Katanagatari from RightStuf and sold the DVDs for like $18. That made the total price similar to a SAVE from Funimation, which is a steal. Especially when I got to keep the big ass case and art book.
Tenchi wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

You can buy Blu-ray without re-buying you know - in fact a lot of older anime will probably never get a BD re-release.

Aside from theatrical movies, I really don't see myself rebuying most of the anime TV series I already own on DVD on Blu, or at least those shows animated for standard definition, unless the Blu version is done from film masters rather than upconversions.

I might be wrong, but I believe he said that in response to someone who said that if they bought a Blu-ray player then they would have to repurchase their entire DVD collection in BD format. I think he meant that buying a BD player doesn't mean that one has to repurchase all of their DVDs. Every BD player plays DVDs. You don't need to get rid of your DVD collection just to buy/play BDs.

One Problem
It'd be nice if it was actually two questions with one being "What are must haves for free streaming?" and "What are must haves for paid streaming?" I don't have any must haves for free streaming since it's free and even with commercials, there are fewer commercials in an entire streaming episode than in one commercial break of a TV broadcast. For paid streaming, my must haves would be 720p and no ads.

Last edited by Mr. sickVisionz on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I like the DVD/BD combo packs, actually. They've allowed me to start lending out anime again.

I originally quit because my DVDs would be returned damaged, or sometimes not be returned at all.

Now I can just lend out the DVDs (encased in purchased clear jewel cases) and keep the BDs for my own use. It works pretty well, and I think people aren't tempted to just keep my loaners since the discs aren't in the pretty cases, just in boring, clear jewel cases.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
For the last question, I think true Full Screen should be an option.

As most streaming has true full screen, it isn't that much of a big deal to most.
However, as a true "must have" option, that's the only one I'd really like as a "must have"
I can live without it, and do for NicoNico, but as a preference, I'd much rather watch a 360 stream with true full screen, than a 720p stream stuck in a browser.

Yeah, I tried niconico, but I'm spoiled by having the video controls fade away on Crunchyroll and Hulu, leaving nothing but the episode.

I couldn't answer the last question, since my "must have" are EITHER "free, full screen on my netbook" OR "paid, ad free, with support for my device (Roku, btw, though possibly Android as well in the near term future)". If I keep Hulu+ after my trial month is finished, its not going to be for the anime streaming with ads.

If its free and fills up my little netbook screen, I won't finish it as fast, and I'll only keep up with series I really like, but I'll watch it even with ads.

tuxedocat wrote:
I like the DVD/BD combo packs, actually. They've allowed me to start lending out anime again. ...

If I got a BD player, I'd prefer combo packs, since I'd still travel with a portable DVD player. Indeed, the "no disaster if its destroyed" benefit there would be at home me lending it to on the road me.

cat_clan wrote:
On the last question, I answered "I won't watch streaming anime, downloading is the only way for me". The reality is that I live in a country where the Internet connection is pretty bad from time to time. So a year back when I bought a CR premium it was pretty bad, I had at least 5 "buffering" freezes in a episode, which was really annoying. Basically my Internet connection can't keep up with a 720p continuous streaming. I just wanted to elaborate a bit more on the answer, since I believe most of the US streaming distributors don't really seem to understand that buffered streaming is the only option non-developed countries can support with our current Internet infrastructure.

I don't thinks its a question of understanding, I think its a question of rights and DRM worries by the original licensors.

Best hope may be DNLA ~ if under pressure of Japanese electronics manufacturers the original anime licensors can be persuaded to treat some workable DNLA buffering system as "the same as streaming". But that AFAIU that is "Real Soon Now", rather than ready for prime time, even though Crunchyroll seems to be working on it.

Though I don't much bother whether an internet connection can keep up with a 720p stream, so long as it can keep up with a 480p stream.

Last edited by agila61 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
soundofsilence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't buy anything online (yeah, I'm a dinosaur) - this option was missing from the poll.

I'll agree with the 'must be available in my country' option as well.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I like the DVD/BD combo packs, actually. They've allowed me to start lending out anime again. ...

If I got a BD player, I'd prefer combo packs, since I'd still travel with a portable DVD player. Indeed, the "no disaster if its destroyed" benefit there would be at home me lending it to on the road me.

I hadn't thought of that benefit. Thanks! Smile
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
cat_clan wrote:

Yeah, even in places in the United States have crappy internet connection speeds. 1-1.5Mbs just doesn't seem to cut it for streaming. Start video, let it load, play, skips, buffers...plays some more, buffers...about 10 minutes later to watch about 2 is kinda redundant. This is why I usually buy my anime...
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
For me, the most important thing about streaming is that the player MUST work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArithmeticianRamza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I didn't check anything for the last option, since my one requirement for free streaming is that it must be legal, which was already stipulated. Sometimes I do wonder how many people like that there are. Also, when I said that I generally wanted to try a series before buying it, I do count other versions of the same series as trying it. For instance, I actually bought the light novel of Haruhi first and the other versions based on liking that, and I will buy Railgun (and Index) whenever they get released partially on the basis of liking the Railgun manga (which Seven Seas is publishing).
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
ArithmeticianRamza wrote:
I didn't check anything for the last option, since my one requirement for free streaming is that it must be legal, which was already stipulated. Sometimes I do wonder how many people like that there are. ...
I used to think that was me. I watched Nozomi's stream of Maria-sama ga Miteru on Youtube, where they only leave a single episode up for four weeks after release, which is a real mismatch to my sporadic viewing habits with series on my netbook as opposed to my Roku ...
... but even though I was watching at low definition, and with an access schedule which I wouldn't prefer, Youtube does let you full screen it. I didn't realize it would annoy me not to full screen it as much as it does until I tried to watch the Fate/Zero stream at niconico JP.
Almaz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Youtube does let you full screen it. I didn't realize it would annoy me not to full screen it as much as it does until I tried to watch the Fate/Zero stream at niconico JP.

I just found out. Don't know if others have figured it out. There is a way under settings (upper right of the video box above the comments) on Nico Nico that changes the video from "windowed" mode to "full screen" mode. After that selection, the full screen button actually makes a better full screen. The controls actually disappear. It is still not exactly full screen, but it is better. +5 to Nico Nico. I wish they just leave that as a default instead of having to select the option. After finding this, I will probably use the site more.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
A lot of you have brought up issues with "missing" answers.

To quote slashdot
Quote:
Don't complain about lack of options. You've got to pick a few when you do multiple choice. Those are the breaks.
I'm going to start adding that to future surveys.

Please understand that

1) It's unreasonable to expect whoever writes the survey to think of every option
2) Even if we did, we're not going to put down 9000 answers for every question
3) We may have specific things we're researching, and some answers don't apply to our research
4) We avoid unrealistic options. You want your anime to stream in 2560P? Tough shit.

Regarding some specific issues that have been brought up:

Dubs. We know these are very important to the purchasing decision. Since we knew the answer, we didn't need to ask the question.

Must stream in my location: Well no shit. Obviously a stream has to be available to you for you to be able to watch it. That's like asking "What would it take to get you to buy this DVD" and adding an option "It has to be available to purchase."

That said, thank you for your comments, there has been some really interesting insight in this thread regarding why you answered what you answered.

-t
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:

I just found out. Don't know if others have figured it out. There is a way under settings (upper right of the video box above the comments) on Nico Nico that changes the video from "windowed" mode to "full screen" mode. After that selection, the full screen button actually makes a better full screen. The controls actually disappear. It is still not exactly full screen, but it is better. +5 to Nico Nico. I wish they just leave that as a default instead of having to select the option. After finding this, I will probably use the site more.

-lol-
Wow, they must have changed it very recently.
About a week ago, it was only availible as a Premium option.

Nice to know they changed it though.
All my issues with NicoNico are cleared now!

It's still not "true" full screen since it doesn't stretch to fit the screen completely, which makes it still have edges.
But I can live with this quite happily!

-screen shot-
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/765/nnfscnoptnl.jpg
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7