• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Odoru Ponpokorin?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
space clam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone heard of this anime at all? I searched through the encyclopedia and found nothing. This is one of the songs from the recently-released "Dance Dance Revolution: Festival" for the Japanese PS2. Incidentally, another song from anime on the game is "Cutie Honey," while Mary Elizabeth McGlynn lent her voice to "Your Rain: Rage Mix" by Akira Yamaoka. (Don't know if any of this is actual news, or it's already been discussed. :\)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I remember that 'odoru ponpokorin' (dance the ponpokorin) was a line from the Chibi Maruko-chan theme song. I've only seen the first movie, but it was a great piece of slice of life - similar to what Azumanga Daioh would be like if it actually lived up to the hype in any way (ie the characters have multiple dimensions and it's actually funny instead of just cute). Not quite on the same level as something like My Neighbors the Yamadas, but still damn good. Unfortunately that first movie is all that's available in English, and it's so old that it'll probably never get liscensed...ah well. I guess that's how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
It's appearence as the ending theme to the first Chibi Maruko-chan series pushed it to be very, very popular on the pop charts right around 1992. The original version is performed by B.B. Queens (who are exceptionally strange looking, even for the times).

The second TV series features the song as well, one remix by ManaKana & Izumiya Shigeru and again as originally done by B.B. Queens.

Chibi Maruko-chan is very much a slice of life, but more like the Simpsons rather than Azumanga I think. It's been one of the most popular anime since it's been running; although I believe the second series is more popular as it's been running since 1995.

As far as anime themes on DDR go; I believe it was 5th Mix that first featured Odoru Ponpokorin, Cutey Honey, and also the Lupin III '78 Theme (sans lyrics). I also have a CD with a bunch of anime themes from ParaPara Paradise, which is awfully cool.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:29 am Reply with quote
Like I said, I only saw the first movie and it was very character driven. I don't know anything about the TV series. Really want to see it, though not as much as the second movie (which has some scenes animated by uber-genius Masaaki Yuasa)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1