• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Tree of Palme

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Anyone seen it? I've heard really mixed things about Palme, but the art that I've seen from the movie looks absolutely gorgeous - like a throwback to old French scifi animation, and Nakamura's other stuff was pretty fun (though nothing really that special). It only plays here through Thursday, and I've got finals coming up soon, so I need to know more about it before I decide whether or not it's worth my time.

...Bueller?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jagozon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've seen it I just bought it Thursday.This is a weird movie
I could see why some people wouldnt like it.But me personaly,I liked it.The art is realy good,some of the visual seens are some of the best I've seen.The story? I was a bit confused,but after i watched it, i read the foldout paper that comes with the DVD,and that cleared thangs up mostly.Once i figured out what was going on i liked it even more.
So i would recomend it.
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Can you give me some more info? What did you like about it? What was weird about it? I love really weird films, was it weird in a William S Burroughs way? Alejandro Jodorowsky? Guy Maddin? Or is that getting way to specific?

Also, I'm seeing it in theaters, won't have any DVD booklets to explain things. Would it still be worth it even if I didn't get anything?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
...was it weird in a William S Burroughs way? Alejandro Jodorowsky? Guy Maddin? Or is that getting way to specific?

Haha! Wow, an anime adaptation of William S Burroughs... I guess it's possible, but I don't know who could pull it off (I don't even think Cronenberg did that great a job, personally). I just read the review of the Tree of Palme DVD, and although the artwork looks pretty amazing, I don't think it's anywhere near as surreal as Jodorowsky, inventive as Maddin, or... well, whatever Burroughs is. Confused The Saddest Music in the World is one of my very favorite films, by the way. Not only because of the stylized story, but the filming technique.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Someone already made an anime adaptation of a Suehiro Maruo comic, I don't think a Burroughs adaptation would be TOO far off...although I did really enjoy Cronenberg's Naked Lunch (even more than the book, but that's probably because Cronenberg took out all the child rape). Still haven't seen The Saddest Music in the World, but Maddin's utterly insane Cowards Bend the Knee (BLUE PAINT!!!) was one of the major highlights of the Seattle International Film Festival for me last year. Very fun movie.

I've heard some more opinions of Palme from people on IRC, and the general idea that I get is that it's full of great visuals, bad dialogue, bad pacing, and lots of cliches...again, like the aforementioned French scifi animation. Confused But I liked Time Masters and Light Years way more than I should, the theater it's playing at is a tiny volunteer-only arthouse place (cheap tickets!), and their seats are more comfortable than my couch. And it's subtitled, for some reason it's easier for me to read bad dialogue than to hear it. Just need to see if I can find time in my schedule.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I have it, I've seen it, but I don't know what to make of it. I don't really like the character designs. And the story is quite alright if you ask me.

To me, it's sad and at the same time frustrating. At first seeing Palme long for Xian and then later his longing turn into obsession (perhaps as a result of that ball thingy implanted in his belly) was kinda disappointing. How did he end up that way?

Anyway, I don't remember much of it, but it's no big deal. I didn't really love it, as I first thought I would.

The music is nice though. The imagery was exotic and weird, the floating "lily pads"? And that giant floating fish thingy. In fact, I don't know what to make of all that imagery. And I don't know how much of it ties in or has anything to do with the main plot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1