• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hanasaku Iroha streaming eps 14-26

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
One of the rarer cases when blatantly flawed project gets "Excellent" average marks.

Of course, this means that a people who cared to vote found quite a lot good qualities in it to disregard the mediocre aspects of the show, so, obviously HI is far from being bad overall.
vinamara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
C'mon guys, what's with all the tense attitudes?

I just got a pm from a dude who was apparently angry with me. He created an account on ANN just to pm me his misguided frustration and told me it was no use to reply him because he would have deleted the account by then. How cool is that?

Its nothing great to sit behind a screen and curse each other like that through internet posting where people don't know each other and messages don't properly get across each other with intended intentions.

I agree I get into arguments on occasions, but really, there's no way anyone can convince anybody on the internet unless they're ready to listen.

But you guys already know this. I'm just saying this because I wanna have a peaceful discussion. (Now I'm gonna be told off that I'm a naive idiot who shouldn't be using the internet).

Please don't flame me now because I'm really a cute girl. Very Happy XOXO

(I guess that's how girls end their posts? lol)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure cute girls end their posts with a, "tee-hee!" Wink
vinamara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm pretty sure cute girls end their posts with a, "tee-hee!" Wink

You're damn right they do that. And they say things like splendiferous and super exciting and so on and so forth. Very Happy
blackseer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
One of the rarer cases when blatantly flawed project gets "Excellent" average marks.

Of course, this means that a people who cared to vote found quite a lot good qualities in it to disregard the mediocre aspects of the show, so, obviously HI is far from being bad overall.

I think you read too much into the average marks...

Anime fandom (and most kind of internet fandom, actually) don't grade what they like and hate by logical standarts. Especially when their names aren't involved. This is an generalization, but it happens often. Or why would there be popular but not great animes in the top 10 best rated anime, such as Clannad, Code Geass and Steins; Gate?

And I don't think HanaIro is a flawed project.
vinamara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Actually I would consider Steins;Gate more of a sleeper hit.

Its success isn't widely advertised so I'm thinking it was just a cult hit from what I gather. Hopefully the movie will fix that.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

How about the people who didn't find those aspects mediocre?

I don't think that HI is blatantly flawed at all. Sure there are isolated instances where the ball was dropped so to speak, but if I let small, inconsequential things like that ruin my enjoyment of the series I'd have missed out on one of the better shows of the last year or two.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
This is an generalization, but it happens often. Or why would there be popular but not great animes in the top 10 best rated anime, such as Clannad, Code Geass and Steins; Gate?

Just because you think shows such as Steins;Gate and Clannad are 'not great', doesn't mean it's true for everyone else.
I found those two series quite superb in their own right and they fully deserve the score I gave them.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I think Clannad sinks in it's own geekyness. It doesn't even seem to get good until After Story.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
I think Clannad sinks in it's own geekyness. It doesn't even seem to get good until After Story.

And that's fine, that's your opinion.
I just get annoyed when some people infer(or flat out state I guess...) others are wrong because others like something they don't. It's such a narcisistic way of looking at things.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
Maybe I am alone in this, but I thought the bondage episode was quite good as a character introduction. It showed the complete uselessness that was the writer.
He is incapable of sexually threatening or harrassing a teenage girl even though he fancies himself a tough guy. Remember we see him heading towards Ohana then we see her tied up in his room. It is obvious that she went willingly, she is not harmed or stressed in any way which means she did not see him as a threat at all (she is a Tokyo girl so she would be better at sensing possible harm than a local girl, so that furthers the assertion of his lack of threat). She helps with the bondage, again showing her view of him as harmless.
Finally, her reading of the H-scene shows his incompetence as a writer, that an anime girl can read a page where she is some guy's fap-fodder and not turn red, screech, and try to beat the guy up shows it was not all that interesting (her only comment concerned her realization that maybe she really was viewed as the "loud girl").
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think it behooves you as a poster at this board to avoid making douche-baggy sentiments like the one I highlighted earlier. And yes, sadly, I do realize that you cannot NOT make those kind of statements given the type of person you are. Pity.

First of all, if you honestly think my sentiments are "douche-baggy" then take it up with the Mods, as they are the ones who let my posts through.

Secondly, I didn't realise that there was a rule about restricting such behaviour in the first place. Not that I am admitting to being what you say I am, but there's nothing to assert that I am behoved against displaying such sentiments if I wanted to.

Thirdly, there is a rule about being polite, a rule which I believe you have been breaking. Hence, I will report you.

----------

Now to actually address what you said.

So, you claim that self-interest is considered a form of douche-bag behaviour? And before you quote that one line and say yes, please read on.

I want you to think back on all the times you have witnessed people say when something has been licensed, "Well that's great news and all, but where's the announcement for the license of [insert person's favourite unlicensed title here?" It happens a lot; after almost every license announcement there are people who come out of the woodwork and wonder why that title got licensed over their pet favourites.

To call me a douche-bag for preferring to buy titles I actually like is automatically condemning everyone who has ever expressed a desire to see their favourite Anime or Manga licensed over other people's favourites. You are insulting everyone who has ever thought that way, and that is a heck of a lot of people. I am confident that >50%, and perhaps even >75%, of regular ANN forumites have said something along those lines at least once. Why single me out when so many others are just as "bad"?

If I had the time and inclination I would go through your posting history, but I do not believe that is necessary. But I am fairly confident that if I did I would find a post where you expressed the very views you claim you are so against.

Face it. It is illogical - and hypocritic, if you have ever been against a license because it wasn't of the show you wanted - to blame me for wanting a show I didn't like to remain unlicensed. You can hardly expect me to be happy buying a title I didn't enjoy, right?

Right?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:
Maybe I am alone in this, but I thought the bondage episode was quite good as a character introduction. It showed the complete uselessness that was the writer.
He is incapable of sexually threatening or harrassing a teenage girl even though he fancies himself a tough guy. Remember we see him heading towards Ohana then we see her tied up in his room. It is obvious that she went willingly, she is not harmed or stressed in any way which means she did not see him as a threat at all (she is a Tokyo girl so she would be better at sensing possible harm than a local girl, so that furthers the assertion of his lack of threat). She helps with the bondage, again showing her view of him as harmless.
Finally, her reading of the H-scene shows his incompetence as a writer, that an anime girl can read a page where she is some guy's fap-fodder and not turn red, screech, and try to beat the guy up shows it was not all that interesting (her only comment concerned her realization that maybe she really was viewed as the "loud girl").

Clearly Ohana was already versed in the art of BDSM from knowledge bequeathed by her mother.
blackseer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
This is an generalization, but it happens often. Or why would there be popular but not great animes in the top 10 best rated anime, such as Clannad, Code Geass and Steins; Gate?

Just because you think shows such as Steins;Gate and Clannad are 'not great', doesn't mean it's true for everyone else.
I found those two series quite superb in their own right and they fully deserve the score I gave them.

That's exactly what I meant. Anime fandom take what they like very seriously. That's why the average grade can't be considered as a mark of quality; just that have more loyal followers than haters.

I personally thinks Code Geass is one of my top 3 favorites anime series of all times, but seeing you didn't defend it, you disagree with me. And I can't consider any of those I mentioned classic examples of quality, such as Akira or Nausicaa, which are not in the top 10.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quote
I didn't note Code Geass because although I really enjoyed it and found it very entertaining, I just think it's too much of a mess(albeit an absolutely spectacular one) to call it 'Great'. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5