• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Going to the "Steamboy" U.S. Premiere Saturday?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mykelti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
I'm heading out to the Inernational Children's Film Festival at the Director's Guild Theater in NY. My first time seeing an anime on the silver screen, and Katsuhiro Otomo in person. Just curious if anyone is going too. (I'm too tired to search out a similiar thread here so I could stand corrected.) I know the slightly shorter english dub will be presented, with Otomo's discussion/Q&A afterwards. I currently do not have any friends that watch anime, but would like to make some there. Is anyone attending the director's dinner reception? -Anybody even botherin' to go see it?

Q: Anyone know where/when/if the full Japanese subtitled version will be shown?
Anything "Steamboy" + without spoilers welcomed - please chime in!
Thanks.
Lazuright

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
I have waited for steamboy for so long now i'd love to go to New York and see it. But money's an issue. I've got $500 ready for Anime Boston to spend, but thats in april so...
When is it going to be?
What's the initation fee?
and,
Where in NY is it going to be?
If you answer these and i like the answers, you may have friend in NY, ME!
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'll have wait until its official March 18th release. One local theater has had posters advertising it for more than a month now, so my area is sure to get it. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Mykelti wrote:
My first time seeing an anime on the silver screen, and Katsuhiro Otomo in person.

Alas, it looks like Katsuhiro Otomo won't be making an appearance after all. Here's an e-mail I just received:

Quote:

Dear NYICFF Patrons and Special Guests,

It is with deep regret that I must inform you that director Katsuhiro Otomo, who was scheduled to appear at the NYICFF premiere of STEAMBOY, has fallen ill with the flu and is unable to travel to the United States at this time. We apologize for disappointing NYICFF and Otomo fans and want you to know that Sony Pictures Entertainment shares your disappointment at this turn of events. Shinji Komori, Producer and Junicho Takagi, Animation Director are scheduled to attend and participate in a Q&A session following the screening.

We sincerely hope you will enjoy the show and your special edition STEAMBOY t-shirts!

Kind regards,

Fritz Friedman, SVP Worldwide Publicity

Sony Pictures Entertainment
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The flu, eh? Sounds a bit fishy to me... That's the exact same excuse I use when I need to squeeze past a deadline... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
This post is from "What anime do you intend to see?"

Quote:
I INTENDED to go see the NY premeire of Steamboy so I could compare it to Appleseed, but the NYCIFF denied me a seat (though I was in contact with them for over two months and had a press pass) and the sponsor group (New York-Tokyo) ran out of passes. I say the former are a bunch of mothertruckers.

oops, that wasn't nice. Shocked...

At least I can track people down here who's seen it. I was planning a feature reviewing/comparing two of the "animation blockbusters" of 2005 w/interviews and fan reactions. Oh well, 1/2 ain't bad. Enjoy the event, those who are going!
Mykelti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Lazurite: I must truly show my appreciation for your well intentions toward me in considering to go to the Steamboy premiere and meet. I had to follow-up my post eventually, (sorry soooo late) replying to you first. You seem to be a good person indeed. Thank you! Take care, and see ya around.
*Leaves misty eyed*
Frankman!
*gets happy again*
So very nice to hear from you again. I feel for ya man, but perhaps the full length Japanese audio version will prove more rewarding when you catch it!
Everyone else: I did not reply in time because I was discouraged from a lack of any replies -then came back here too late. So for y'all who did, get "brownie points" in my book.
Lata!
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
Considering it was 3000 miles away, I didn't catch Steamboy last weekend. But I will certainly see it when it comes to OC, I just saw a poster for it today in a local theater and am actually pretty stoked to see it.
DownLoadJihad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:41 am Reply with quote
what theatre in OC? Im also in OC.

Im hoping it will come to the Spectrum.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:51 am Reply with quote
DownLoadJihad wrote:
what theatre in OC? Im also in OC.

Im hoping it will come to the Spectrum.

The Spectum has a great theater, but I don't know if Steamboy will make it to a large place like that. I saw a poster at the University Cinema on Campus Dr. across from UCI. The theater there plays alot of foreign/artsy films; it's the same place I saw GITS2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1