• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Confirms Intent to Publish Manga Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I just got done going through this thread and there is something I wanted to comment about, that is the complaints about the seeming outpouring of love and affection TP gets on its Facebook page. Has anyone considered the likelihood that they could be removing/deleting negative posts to make themselves look better? It is their page, after all, so they must have some control over what gets posted there. I'm kind of new to FB but I know if someone wrote something I didn't like on my "wall" I could do something about it.

I'm pretty sure they do. Someone from this forum reacted negatively to their Hetalia news on their facebook page and that post was deleted within half a day.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:14 am Reply with quote
If people really want a surefire way to prevent Tokyopop from their fav manga: get together, raise some cash, negotiate the manga rights, and beat them to the punch.

Hey, if stupid Stu could do it, surely some smart guys could figure it out. Given how much people donate to manga aggregator sites...........
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they're bringing back their bad translating and hipster lingo too.
naomi-ai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Really TP??? You've been dead to me ever since you started to just drop titles and then once you announced you were going under. Just die already and let another company pick up your titles.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
t has nothing to do with Stu Levy as an individual.

Yes it does. Stu has burned so many bridges it makes General Sherman's March to the Sea look like a water balloon fight. You can't begin to list Stu's wrongs with the fandom. It's so much, I still wonder why people even bother to work for this guy, let alone even give him any decorum of respect.

He needs to leave the fandom, PERIOD.

Nowadays, a job is a job. You got MBA's working in fast food restaurants, if they are lucky.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Also, where's the money coming from? I thought Stu needed $20,000 to finish and market his documentary. That kind of suggests there's no money left to do anything else. Or maybe he was being a dick and figured it would be cheaper to finish the project with donations than to pay for it with company cash.

Whats even more sad is people gave him money. 2 people gave him 2.5K in cash alone. A fool and his money are soon parted....

TarsTarkas wrote:
Nowadays, a job is a job. You got MBA's working in fast food restaurants, if they are lucky.

Thats not the same. It's pretty much Stu Levy restarting TP up and trying to reclaim his former glory days before he abandoned the industry and blamed others for his fall in order to film some pointless documentary.

Now, if Stu Levy was working in a fast food joint......I'd take my business elsewhere nonetheless.
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Is there any more update on this?

I was really hoping a more competent individual would be taking over and running TP, but, alas...it does not appear so.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Seriously Stu, seriously? Tell me, how does Tokyo Pop plan to publish manga again after all the debt they have raked up, the fact they sold their main Office in somewhere in US and pretty much sold off most their licenses?

Why can't Tokyo Pop just accept their era in the manga industry is done and over with and maybe move on to another area? Far, far away from anime and manga hopefully.

Let's not also forget that Stu Levy has both angered fans/employees/investors alike.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm sitting on an office chair aquired from Tokyopop's last garage sale for $5. It is the best office chair I have ever owned. I'm definitely looking forward to their next garage sale.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
I'm sitting on an office chair aquired from Tokyopop's last garage sale for $5. It is the best office chair I have ever owned. I'm definitely looking forward to their next garage sale.

Well, if one of the photos on their facebook page is something to think about, it could be on the next episode of Storage Wars.

I have to wonder how much a unit like that costs per month. In fact, if Stu had trouble finishing his film and is resorting to try and startup TP again, one has to wonder about his financial situation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9