• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Newtype USA Readers:

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I know it's been awhile and there might have been a thread on this topic already, but I wanted to know what you thought of the Top 25 "Best Anime Ever" in the November 2004 issue? I believe this was the order: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, InuYasha, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Fruits Basket, Robotech, Ranma 1/2, Love Hina, Sailor Moon, Hellsing, FLCL, Fushigi Yugi, Chobits, Akira, Tenchi Muyo!, Azumanga Daioh, Initial D, Dragon Ball Z, Vision of Escaflowne, Full Metal Panic!, Gundam SEED, Wolf's Rain, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Excel Saga. Personally, I wasn't too happy with the list because a lot of things shouldn't be on there and a lot should. (Although, most of the things I want on there are just coming out...and this is the "Best Anime Ever" list.) Nothing from the .hack or Ghost in the Shell series' were on there, nor anything by Miyazaki-san.

Also, this should be in the "manga" section (but Newtype is about anime ["Moving Pictures Magazine"], and they did a cover on a manga), but what do you think of the monthly Lagoon Engine Einsatz inserts? It's interesting how Sugisaki-san chose to bring something to America before Japan. (And I'll add that she changed her style slightly.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
matticans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't very happy with that list either. It seemed that the list was made more around the most popular instead of the BEST. I mean there is some anime on that list that I agree should be there, but then again there are some up there that I really do not agree with. All I have to say is their top 20 is totally different than mine.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I like .hack, and I have all of the U.S. released animes (and the three LooT manga volumes and all four games). So I, too, was disappointed that .hack didn't make the list

Then you have to step back and see the three main .hack anime to understand why .hack just doesn't make many lists:

- .hack//SIGN was the best anime and storyline I've seen in a long time. (It made others' "best ever" lists.)

- .hack//Liminality was good, but it wasn't SIGN. Especially hurting it is the fact that Episode 1, in particular, had every computer screen displaying these wierd patterns on them (also, when Tokuoka and Mai were in the game, there really wasn't much there -- it's as if they ran out of time or something)

- .hack//Legend of the Twilight was nastolgic, but overall disappointing for those who played the games and watched SIGN, and the ending just wasn't satisfying. (I wrote a review on this one, making all of these points.)

(I wish that the Games could have been included, because the story in them is 10x better than SIGN, but they are games and not anime, so would never make the lists. Sad )
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, with all of the .hack out there, I thought at least one of them (most likely SIGN) would be included. But they went for stuff that would never make my "best ever" list. I guess stuff like Fullmetal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo wouldn't be on there because they just came out in 2005 (list being made in 2004). I was actually expecting Naruto to be on there, but it's still not "out" yet. Did you read the "Thousand Words" where they said that Fullmetal Alchemist would be at the top on everyone's lists next time unless Naruto came out by then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to a "best of all time" list, Neon Genesis Evangelion will probably never fall off the top spot, if only because it really does represent the best of Japanese anime -- action, drama, comedy, a story with theological and religious implications ... Evangelion has it all.

But, Naurto and Fullmetal Alchemist dethroning Evangelion? I've seen both, and I just don't really see them reaching that high bar that Evangelion set.

They do deserve to be put on the lists next year, though. They are good. Smile
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow...they're joking, right? I mean that is such a piece of crap! Stuff like Inu-Yasha, Chobits, Trigun, Hellsing, & Excel Saga don't need to be anywhere within 100 miles of any "best ever" list (Love Hina should be in the "worst ever" list, actually), and what the hell's with placing Robotech & Gundam SEED in there over Macross and Mobile Suit Gundam or Zeta Gundam? In a serious "best ever list," I wouldn't even venture to put titles like .hack or Azumanga Daioh or Wolf's Rain on there. Where's the Lupin? Where's the Miyazaki? Ghost in the Shell? Grave of the Fireflies? Utena? Honestly...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Wow...they're joking, right? I mean that is such a piece of crap! Stuff like Inu-Yasha, Chobits, Trigun, Hellsing, & Excel Saga don't need to be anywhere within 100 miles of any "best ever" list (Love Hina should be in the "worst ever" list, actually), and what the hell's with placing Robotech & Gundam SEED in there over Macross and Mobile Suit Gundam or Zeta Gundam? In a serious "best ever list," I wouldn't even venture to put titles like .hack or Azumanga Daioh or Wolf's Rain on there. Where's the Lupin? Where's the Miyazaki? Ghost in the Shell? Grave of the Fireflies? Utena? Honestly...

I hear you on this one. (Although I think Inu-Yasha deserves to be on the lists -- IMHO, it is a great anime that still has an interesting story and entertains its audience.)

Also, if you see Anime Insider's best of all time list, you'll find many of those missing ones on that list. Very Happy
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Wow...they're joking, right? I mean that is such a piece of crap!

Blame the pathetic mortals who read Newtype! Oh wait, that's me...but I didn't vote! So, blame the pathetic mortal voters!! I'm sure a lot of those you mentioned were voted for. They said that Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex was somewhere in the thirties...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Not how I'd order them at all really, but I would consider a lot of those series as canidates.
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Let's remember, folks: Lists are subjective! There's no such thing as a "best anime ever."
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Let's remember, folks: Lists are subjective! There's no such thing as a "best anime ever."

Naruto is! Okay, sorry, that's true...
Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen a newtype magazine in any book stores in ages. So I haven't read any since last July Crying or Very sad
Cronos X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Well the minute you say GiTS is in the thrities you've pretty much gone off the deep end. lol
It doesn't matter some list just don't make sense and other are just weird.
People choose from what they had to choose from (sounds redundant I know) and that's what they got in return. Some were good and other just confused you as to how it got there.

Last edited by Cronos X on Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:24 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

I always get a good, cheap laugh at "Top Anime of All Time" of the past. 3 years from now, I would be laughing at Gundam Seed, the Gundam Wing of the day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:32 am Reply with quote
But it doesn't explain why DBZ even made it onto the list. It's more of the "Worst Anime" than "Best Anime."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3