• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OT: Avatar: The Last Air Bender

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:28 pm Reply with quote
It's not really anime but I want to know what a lot of you think about this new anime-influenced cartoon on Nick. This has got to be Nick's best show since Invader Zim. You can tell by the way the characters are drawn that the creator is a Miyazaki fan.
Nionel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I agree, I've liked the show so far and it's easily Nick's best show in years, hopefully though Nick will keep on their tradition of releasing everything on DVD, 'cause I'd love to own DVDs for this show
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
not bad, it shows potential so far, though i doubt it will last long on Nickelodeon.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
What makes you think that?
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh crap. I knew I forgot to tape something. So is it basically one shot type episodes or do they actually form a full story?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
It's a story. They unfold like OVA's (probably because they'll be released on DVD at some point) and have continuity from show-to-show. I saw the first ep. and haven't seen it since but it appears to be good. I wouldn't say it's the BEST thing Nickelodeon has ever shown though, they been airing some good stuff for years.
Nionel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
So far the episodes seem to be following along one main storyline, as seen in episode 3 which picked up some time (my guess is a day or two) after Aang and Co. escaped from Prince Zuko...

As far as the show not lasting, as much as I hate to say it...I say that V1cious brings up a good point, the shows that last on Nick are stuff like Rugrats (which has somehow outlived every other Nicktoon to come along since it debuted in '91) and Spongebob. Avatar just doesn't seem like the type of show that will last on Nick
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
What makes you think that?

have you seen nickelodeon lately? whatever direction the story's going will be massively toned/dumbed down. as Jhonen Vasquez showed us, the nickelodeon doesn't like mature content. not to mention it doesn't follow the usual goofball format nick is famous for..
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
have you seen nickelodeon lately? whatever direction the story's going will be massively toned/dumbed down. as Jhonen Vasquez showed us, the nickelodeon doesn't like mature content.

Not necessarily. Their primetime content has gotten a bit more mature in the sense that it's not just for kids 6-11 anymore. I can't name crap off the top of my head, but Nick needs shows like this to compete with the juggernaut that is Cartoon Network. Seriously.
Nionel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Not necessarily. Their primetime content has gotten a bit more mature in the sense that it's not just for kids 6-11 anymore.

You must be thinking of their Teenick stuff, but as memory serves they've yet to have anything animated added to that lineup, it's just a bunch of live action shows like Romeo! and Zoey 101, but Nick has always had those types of shows...anyone remeber Hey Dude or The Secret World of Alex Mack?

Nick's main problem is when they find something that successful they milk it to death, c'mon how many times a day is Spongebob on anyway? Although they did rerun the first two episodes of Avatar almost everyday for that week after it debuted, so maybe that's there attempt at getting ratings or something

Edit: According to their online schedule, Episode 3 was reaired today at 8:30 eastern, so it just ended...

Air Times (all times Eastern)

Ep. 3 The Southern Air Temple

Tuesday 3:30 PM
Wednesday 6:00 PM
Thursday 8:00 AM
Friday 8:00 PM

Ep. 4 The Warriors of Kyoshi

Friday 9:30 PM
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
I caught episodes 2-newest ep on the Nicktoons channel the other day, and loved it. It has some of the best animation I've seen on nick in a long time, but like most people have said here, it'll die on nick very soon. Nickleodeon seems to every once in a while want to pull in a mature audience, but then abandons the idea in favor of higher ratings with younger viewers. Another thing that has signed Avatar's death certificate is the fact it is not an episodic show.

Nickleodeon has very few shows that are non-episodic, and it's for good reason. It may seem to call a bit more attention than the usually nicklodeon cartoons call for. A kid can catch the first half of a Rugrats episode, and skip the second half and come back to tv later, and not miss anything in the story line. That's like 15 minutes total. Little kid tries watching avatar, and they'll probably switch after the 15 minutes are up. It takes work too for them to see the next new episode every week to go along with the story.

I really don't see avatar being more than two to three seasons.
BlackRose321

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
I saw it and I liked it. Too bad it's only on on Fridays...Anime smile
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Not necessarily. Their primetime content has gotten a bit more mature in the sense that it's not just for kids 6-11 anymore. I can't name crap off the top of my head, but Nick needs shows like this to compete with the juggernaut that is Cartoon Network. Seriously.

Actually, Nickelodeon gets better ratings than Cartoon Network.
OTP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
This show's pretty decent, but I don't think it'll last too long either. Nickelodeon does have a tendency to cancel good shows (i.e. Hey Arnold!, Doug, I'd say Invader Zim as well, but that show went way downhill in the later episodes). Not only that, but Nickelodeon never officially gives a show a finale, so good luck hoping for it to get a decent ending when the time comes.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, if it doesn't work on Nickelodeon in the end, some other network out there will probably pick it up.

(*cough* Cartoon Network *cough)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2