• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An Anime you just couldn't watch.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:02 am Reply with quote
An Anime you just couldn't watch. Im just wondering if this has happend to anyone else. Has there ever been a show that you just could not finish not because you did not like but because of what was happening in the show and the state it would put you in if you continued to watch the show. Im just wondering.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote
Maybe you could give an example of when that happened to you? Personally, I have never had that experiance. At times I feel like watching a particular genre, but because I couldn't watch something else.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Anime that I couldn't watch?

Azumanga - Low brain comedy that appeals to girls and nerdy guy. No plot and unlikable cliche character. My gf likes it, she's watches it alone.

Excel Saga - Random idiocy. Give me Sumeba Miyako no Cosmos-sou Suttoko Taisen Dokkoider for a good parody show that doesn't try too hard to be funny, it just is.

Love Hina - Guy live in house fill with girls, every nerdy boy's wet dream. Except it's a comedy wet dream because they get in sexual predicument that cause them to crash through the roof and fly the sky. Recycle jokes that get less funnier every time until it's annoying and predictable..
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:26 pm Reply with quote
- Any anime that's too cartoony (Super Milk Chan).
- Any anime that doesn't have a solid story behind it (Vampire Wars) (Although, I have one exception: Excel Saga)
- Any anime that has uninteresting characters and a bad story (Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer)
sariyana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
1) Shows that appear to be taken from another, more popular show: Like Duel Masters from Yu-Gi-Oh! Now, granted Duel Masters may or may not have come before Yu-Gi-Oh!, but I saw Yugi first, so, I'm saying that Duel Masters is just a play off of it.

2) Shows like Super Milk Chan and Hi Hi Puffy Amiyumi (is that how you spell it?) that are SOOOO frigging popular yet soooo stupid.

3) Now, normally, I don't just blow off an anime just because of bad music or bad animation, but man, I couldn't even get past the opening theme song of Legend Ninja. That was too much for anyone, in my opinion. And I thought that Pokemon was bad...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Wedding Peach. I almost gagged on the first episode. You'd have to pay me a lot to get me to watch more of it. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fvvr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I can't watch 99.213% (complex mathematical calculations were involved). In general, it is because:
1. I can't watch anime that has kids as main characters. kids=<14. Somehow I just can't stand it.
2. If I dislike the drawing or animation style I will not care about any other redeeming qualities of the show.
3. Any anime that has BIG humanoid robots. (most of Mecha I suppose).

Someone tell me why am I on these forums?
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't make it through DBZ. a friend told me that she watches it like every day, so I checked it out, but couldn't watch any more after about a week, though I don't know why
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quote
I think some of you are missing the point here. The question was not in regard to shows that were just too terrible to keep watching, but if there were shows that were too hard to keep watching because of what was happening in them. I guess a good example would be if you couldn't finish Now and Then, Here and There because of...well, any number of things that happened in that show. You didn't hate the show itself, but the content just made it too tough to watch.

Personally, I've never had that experience, though. I like a show that can make me _feel_ something, even if it's uneasiness. I think that's why I often gravitate toward darker shows like the aforementioned NTHT, Victory Gundam, etc. Not to say I shun lighter fare, but there's something to be said for a show that can spend enough time with a character to make you care about him, and then just off him without a second thought. It's easy to make people laugh, but it's much harder to make them feel even momentarily sad over the death of a character in a story. When a show like Victory Gundam can just keep piling up the bodies, but still give you a reason to care about each character it kills off...or NTHT, which is arguably the saddest show I've ever seen even with a comparatively low body count... And that's not even to say anything of Grave of the Fireflies, which gets extra credit for being grounded in reality as well. Certainly these types of shows are tough to watch, but that's why I like them, so...no, I've never run into a show that I liked but still couldn't finish.
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
I have a condition where if I watch more than 20-40 minutes of anything I have to watch all of it, not matter how sad or awful it gets. spoiler[Besides, while reading GantZ I have developed a immunity to loveable characters dying left and right. The mangaka of GantZ has made a artwork out of creating a great character, setting it up so you care for them and then BAM! They’re gone in the most horrible of ways. He takes it to such an extreme that it gets kind of ridiculous. In the end, as soon as a new character was introduced I tried to guess when they would die; not if they would die.]

--
FDA Warning: Taking this person too seriously has proven to cause cancer in clinical trials
Illumina

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
Excel Saga and Puni Puni Ayumi-no plot.. and i rather have some every-day jokes than parodic jokes that is comepletely useless when u haven't watched the thing they r parodying.
Azumanga Daioh- i dont get why is this show is funny >.< maybe i just dont have good sense of humor.
2x2 Shinobuden- almost the same as excel

non-comedy shows i couldnt watch
Duel Masters-as some1 mentioned b4, its a total rip, though i think its a total rip off from Magic The Gathering, not yu gi oh, nontheless, the show is just annoying
Air-idk, i just find something extremely annoying in the characters, who knows...
msi435

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
I had a wicked hard time getting through escaflowne and more recently X. I don't really know why but, those series were like driving a nail into my head to watch them, I progressed but it was really slow progress. Both series were good but I don't know why it took me so long to finish them!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Seems everyone on that posted did not understand what I was saying. I was not talking about a show you did not like but not being able to finsih a show that you did like because of what was happening in it. Such as if it was very sad or you just could not stand the idea of what was going to happen. I cant seem to get past Epp 2 of Saikano. And there is this on show I get to the screen to hit play but I cant.

So far nobady on this topic got it right.
sariyana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh, you mean like how I refuse to finish Fushigi Yuugi, even though I love it, because I know that spoiler[Hotohori (my fave character) is gonna die in the end.] Is that what the point of this thread is?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
azzmoneky wrote:
Seems everyone on that posted did not understand what I was saying. I was not talking about a show you did not like but not being able to finsih a show that you did like because of what was happening in it. Such as if it was very sad or you just could not stand the idea of what was going to happen. I can't seem to get past Epp 2 of Saikano. And there is this on show I get to the screen to hit play but I can't.

So far nobady on this topic got it right.

If you're having trouble getting by Episode 2 of Saikano because of how difficult it is to watch then you don't want to go much farther in the series because it doesn't get any easier to watch. It's an incredible series, but it does ratchet up the tragic elements so high that it can be uncomfortable to watch at times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3